Water Got In Through Cover, How?

lurky

Hi,

This is my second year with a hotspot outdoor hot tub.

I live in the north east. The first year I kept it running through the winter, this time I shut it down in November.

I emptied it completely and used a wet dry vac to drain the lines.

The other day I took the cover off to check it out and there was a lot of water inside.

Snow and ice sat on the cover for some time, I cleaned it off as best I could but it was a snowy winter.

I guess as the snow melted it got in somehow, I think water got inside the cover itself as well.

It feels soggy and heavy and smells moldy.

Can water typically get inside a cover? Can water get inside the tub when the cover is on?

The tub and the cover are only two years old.

Does a cover typically fail so quickly?

Thanks

I am sure you had a good reason for shutting down the tub, probably to save on energy bills, but as djousma says, winter is a fantastic time for tubbing. Reading the forum over tiem I have seen service techs report that shutting down a tub can oftern result in problems down the road. Certainly not always, and probably far less than half the time, but it seems to have been a factor in problems that some have had.

Did snow accumulate to a level higher than the top of tub? Not sure how the cover fits on hot spot but some tubs I have seen there might be a possible ilty for runoff or snow melt from on top of a tub to migrate in, but it wouldn't seem to be much - suppose it could accumulate over time. However, the soggy cover seem to suggest that is the source of the problem. I am surprised that a 2 yo cover would become soaked just sitting on a tub. Is the cover still under warranty?

Hot tubs covers are not waterproof. After winterizing, you really should lay a waterproof tarp over the cover. If subject to heavy snow loads, I also recommend putting a sheet of thick plywood over the cover to hold and spread the load. Hopefully, you won't have freeze damage.

John

Yup. All my covers have leaked at the center seam. +1 on the extra support for snow. Once the foam cracks it'll start absorbing water and then your cover will become very heavy. Agree - why turn it off in winter. I took a Jacuzzi with me to Northern Japan when I was in the service and it was great during the snowy winters. Somehow 200 inches of annual snowfall is much more tolerable with a glass of wine and a hot tub!

We found we did not use it much the first winter, and given that we didn't use it much I decided to shut it down this time for cost savings. IT was nice once you got in but running to and from was not pleasant. Also I like to read and write while I'm in there and when it got really cold you didn't want to even have a hand out above the water. I do miss it and hope to fill it up again soon. thansk for the responses, I'll call and check on the warranty.

• 3 weeks later...