Hot Tub Cover

Dwntwnbwn

One of the Mods here sells covers that seem to be rated very good:

http://www.rhtubs.com/covers/insulate.htm

I heard www.SpaDepot.com makes decent covers also. If you live in a cold winter climate, I recommend you get a cover with the added FULL hinge seal even if it costs a little more money. My cover that came with my spa only has a block of it at the ends and the snow/frost melts at the hinge which is a good sign that heat is escaping from there. I am sure others will post about other reputable sellers of covers, and some to avoid as well.

Hope this helps!

• 1 month later...

Any other suggestions for reputable hot tub cover makers or retails shops? Everywhere I look I find problems. Between the BBB and the e-pinion type sites you would think all of them are a front for the mob. I get a few complaints, but wow. Little disconcerting for such a large purchase.

you can try these guys, http://www.coverplay.com/node/29

We have used these covers for a few years and they are great, many benifits, and as stated before, i always thought rh tubs had a good cover

I usually don't say anything bad about competitors as most of you know. I think RHTubs, Spa Depot and Hot Tub Works are all great competitors and great places to buy covers from others. But since BeyondNice is being so blatant in self-promotion I feel it's necessary to point out that they sell Prestige spa covers. Though I don't know BeyondNice as a company, I think anyone who googles Prestige will find mixed reviews. Some people like them. Others don't.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone recommend a way to strengthen a cover?

We rent the house in the summer and twice have had the foam on the cover caved in, presumably by kids running acroos it. (sunken tub)

I've thought about some 6mm ply slid in above the foam, any opinions? I'm wondering about rot and mould and how to prevent them.

Can anyone recommend a way to strengthen a cover?

We rent the house in the summer and twice have had the foam on the cover caved in, presumably by kids running acroos it. (sunken tub)

I've thought about some 6mm ply slid in above the foam, any opinions? I'm wondering about rot and mould and how to prevent them.

There are no great ways to strengthen an existing cover you have. You could put plywood sheets across, either under or over the cover, but that will not be ideal due to wear issues (tub or cover). Your idea is sound except that, as you suggest, being inside the cover would not let the wood breath so the inevitable moisture that gets to the ply would not be able to escape. This would then allow mildew, rot, etc. to occur.

Next time you might want to replace your broken cover with a Walk On cover. Most of those are made with enough strength to support loads of 400 pounds or so. They are typically made by laminating fiberglass sheets to the top and bottom of the foam inside the cover. Maybe you could mimic this by sliding fiberglass sheets into the existing cover to avoid all the potential trouble you would have with plywood.

In the mean time, instead of approaching this from the cover perspective, would it be a workable option to approach this from an avoidance perspective? Could some type of child proof fencing, like those used around pools for babies, prevent the situation from occurring?

I hope this helps you with a solution, both now and in the future.

• 8 years later...

Thanks for your recommendations. I myself order hot tub covers here but I want to find more places in order to compare them. After all, it's better to have more options. By the way, besides covers where do you buy extra stuff for tubs? Things to maintain it, detergents, and such.