Saying Farewell To The Forum

sandi

On Tuesday, we posted our 3 and a half year old Infinity hot tub, purchased from Costco, on Craigslist. Yesterday, we got a call from a guy who was willing to pay our full asking price and wanted to come and see it. Today, he showed up with cash and a hot tub repair guy with a trailer, who disconnected the tub and hauled it away. The new owner is happy; we're happy! There was absolutely nothing wrong with the spa except that the novelty of owning it had completely worn off and we had used it about 6 times in the past 6 months. It just wasn't worth spending $30 - $40 a month thru the coldest months of the year to keep 350 gallons of water hot in the back yard.

Before I remove the URL for this forum from my bookmarks, I wanted to say 2 things from my perspective as a hot tub owner. First, if you've never OWNED a hot tub, you might want to consider making your first one either a used tub or an inexpensive new one. You may swear that you will love your tub forever and use it every single day, but you'll never know until you actually own one. After about the first year, I would find myself sitting in the tub thinking about all of the other things that needed doing rather than relaxing - kinda defeated the purpose of getting in it! Not everyone is a "hot tub person," just like not everyone is a "cat person." If we had spent $8000 - $10000 for a spa, and then discovered after 3 years that it just "wasn't our thing," that would have been an expensive mistake. As it was, we invested $3000 to buy a basic spa, spent $90 to add extra insulation ourselves and zero dollars on repairs (even the cheapest made tubs will usually make it thru the first couple of years trouble-free). Once we decided "enough of this," we sold it for $1000. That's a "mistake" I can live with.

Second, I really want to thank the guys on here who generously offered their advice and expertise when I needed it - troubleshooting minor problems, chemical questions, etc. Roger even advised me on the sale price - we were thinking we'd be lucky to get $500 for the tub. You guys are the best!!

Happy New Year all!

Sandi

Boy I hope we don't feel that way after the cost of our tub only $2350.00 new (after 650.00 in discounts I negotiated with Home Depot) and about $1300.00 for having someone build the base & electrical hook up costs, but that is WHY I didn't want to spend a lot on a new first tub myself. So far 2 months in we still love it, but we are not going in as much now as the first month already and it is only the 2nd month.

I wish you good luck!

Sandi, thanks, you'll be missed. A little over a year ago, some of your posts and thoughts were very influential to me. I thought maybe I would fall into the same situation. We didn't use the tub much in August. But so far it's a seasonal thing, I think we probably are a tubing family ... we've been in daily over Christmas break ... but we've only had the thing for 15 months. Anyway, I totally agree, first timers need to look at entry level options to gauge their interest before spending 10K and making a lifestyle/life-changing decision.

DK117

On Tuesday, we posted our 3 and a half year old Infinity hot tub, purchased from Costco, on Craigslist. Yesterday, we got a call from a guy who was willing to pay our full asking price and wanted to come and see it. Today, he showed up with cash and a hot tub repair guy with a trailer, who disconnected the tub and hauled it away. The new owner is happy; we're happy! There was absolutely nothing wrong with the spa except that the novelty of owning it had completely worn off and we had used it about 6 times in the past 6 months. It just wasn't worth spending $30 - $40 a month thru the coldest months of the year to keep 350 gallons of water hot in the back yard.

Before I remove the URL for this forum from my bookmarks, I wanted to say 2 things from my perspective as a hot tub owner. First, if you've never OWNED a hot tub, you might want to consider making your first one either a used tub or an inexpensive new one. You may swear that you will love your tub forever and use it every single day, but you'll never know until you actually own one. After about the first year, I would find myself sitting in the tub thinking about all of the other things that needed doing rather than relaxing - kinda defeated the purpose of getting in it! Not everyone is a "hot tub person," just like not everyone is a "cat person." If we had spent $8000 - $10000 for a spa, and then discovered after 3 years that it just "wasn't our thing," that would have been an expensive mistake. As it was, we invested $3000 to buy a basic spa, spent $90 to add extra insulation ourselves and zero dollars on repairs (even the cheapest made tubs will usually make it thru the first couple of years trouble-free). Once we decided "enough of this," we sold it for $1000. That's a "mistake" I can live with.

Second, I really want to thank the guys on here who generously offered their advice and expertise when I needed it - troubleshooting minor problems, chemical questions, etc. Roger even advised me on the sale price - we were thinking we'd be lucky to get $500 for the tub. You guys are the best!!

Happy New Year all!

Sandi

One question Sandi, If you would of spent 8 grand for a spa 3 or so years ago how much do you think you would of got for it if you would of listed and sold it? You had a net loss of 2 grand + base and electrical, but we will leave that out. If you would of paid 8 grand would the net loss of been the same? Or better yet a true hydrotherapy session in a tub versus a soak in an underpowered so-so swirling hot water thing, may have made your decision different?

One question Sandi, If you would of spent 8 grand for a spa 3 or so years ago how much do you think you would of got for it if you would of listed and sold it? You had a net loss of 2 grand + base and electrical, but we will leave that out. If you would of paid 8 grand would the net loss of been the same? Or better yet a true hydrotherapy session in a tub versus a soak in an underpowered so-so swirling hot water thing, may have made your decision different?

Roger,

I don't know the answer to your first question since I have no idea if an $8000, 3-1/2 year old spa would sell for $6000. I DO know there were no hot tubs listed on Craigslist for over $2500, and I suspect there are a lot more folks willing to pay $1000 for a used tub with no warranty than are willing to pay $6000 for a used tub (even a better brand) with no warranty. As to your second question, I really don't think the quality of the spa would have made a difference for me. I'm just not good at sitting still and doing nothing; I don't seem to need a lot of "down time" to relax. Give me a tennis court any day! :)

Sandi

Roger,

I don't know the answer to your first question since I have no idea if an $8000, 3-1/2 year old spa would sell for $6000. I DO know there were no hot tubs listed on Craigslist for over $2500, and I suspect there are a lot more folks willing to pay $1000 for a used tub with no warranty than are willing to pay $6000 for a used tub (even a better brand) with no warranty. As to your second question, I really don't think the quality of the spa would have made a difference for me. I'm just not good at sitting still and doing nothing; I don't seem to need a lot of "down time" to relax. Give me a tennis court any day! :)

Sandi

But....I bet you could of traded the 8 grand tub for a lot of tennis rackets, bar stools and other stuff that a lot of tub dealers sell now a days!!

But....I bet you could of traded the 8 grand tub for a lot of tennis rackets, bar stools and other stuff that a lot of tub dealers sell now a days!!

The concepts of "opportunity cost" and "net present value" are common sense for most people. 99.99999% of the folks out there would rather have the cash than trade a hot tub for a tennis racket. The easiest way to have that cash is never to have spent it in the first place :). Roger, your post reminds me of the line in Blues Brothers where Dan Akroyd traded the caddy in for a microphone.

Or for classic comedy, just watch this video and think "D1" every time you hear "Bears" and "Hot Springs" every time you hear "Bulls." That's how it is around here :).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d32OeqbYbHg It's all comedy.

Roger,

Sandi

I think you are reaching here Roger IMO. :P

Who needs that many Tennis Rackets?

We bought a used spa two years ago. Since buying our spa, we have used it at least four times a week, year round.

Sandi, you are right, some are spa people some are not. Me? I can't imagine not having one!

Dave

Good advice for those on the fence. Kaye & I looked for a couple of years and we always ended up at the high end but couldn't pull the trigger. We were offered a free HS Grandee that needed $2,000 to make it perfect and jumped at it. So far we love it but time will tell.

Dave

Who needs that many Tennis Rackets?

Wonder why she didn't bring it back to Costco for a store credit for the full 2995?????

I suppose she could have rented a U-Haul truck or even a Home Depot truck to bring it back or maybe Costco would have come and picked it up being such a large item that was delivered by them, but really the warranty is not supposed to be for just not liking it anymore. It is for when something goes wrong so she did the "moral" thing by not taking advantage of the often abused very liberal return policy IMO.

I myself would have a problem using such a liberal policy under those circumstances myself IF a Costco was near me.

I suppose she could have rented a U-Haul truck or even a Home Depot truck to bring it back or maybe Costco would have come and picked it up being such a large item that was delivered by them, but really the warranty is not supposed to be for just not liking it anymore. It is for when something goes wrong so she did the "moral" thing by not taking advantage of the often abused very liberal return policy IMO.

I myself would have a problem using such a liberal policy under those circumstances myself IF a Costco was near me.

Why not take advantage of the only good thing about any spa offered at Costco??

Why not take advantage of the only good thing about any spa offered at Costco??

I'm not going to get into a conversation involving one brand or dealer vs. another ... BUT ... you are right, there are some people who are "hot tub" people and others who are not.

My wife and I have had a hot tub of one type or another for 27 years. We would not be without one. But, it can become a novelty that wears off quickly. We always use ours. Perhaps once or twice a week ... we entertain others (as we did on NYE) ... and yeah, we have to clean it and maintain it. Not too much of a hassle on that, we have an Arctic Yukon with the Onzen feature.

So, there are different strokes for different folks... enjoy what you enjoy.

After 1/2 hour in the Hot Tub I feel much better, back does not hurt and I'm not near as tired.

On Sandi's point about feeling guilty about sitting in the Hot Tub while things need done around the house, I feel more like when I'm done doing all these things aroud the house, I get to relax in my Hot Tub.

Then again my wife and I are both people who enjoyed relaxing in a hot bath before getting the Hot Tube last March. We both use it on average 4-5 times a week. When is it was real hot, we didn't use it near as much and when it's below 20 and windy we don't use it. I can't stand my face freezing while I sit in hot water. A tossle cap does help though, but there is a point when it's just too cold if the wind is blowing.

We did go the highe end used route though when buying it. We got a six year old Sundance Optima for $2,000, and I think I ccould sell it for more than that, but why would I?