New Member With First Hot Tub - Questions

JetCaptain

Hello all, We just bought our first hot tub (or is it home spa) and this looked like the premier spa forum on the net on which to receive and give information. I have been a lurker for past 2 months and decided to "jump in". In November, we purchased a 2010 Sundance Cameo from Litehouse Pools in Ohio. Didn't really want the JBL stereo system; but they included it with the new remote and the price out the door for everything including delivery and tax came to $9300, so I think we got a fair deal. I have been trying to do a search for various questions that I have; but ended up down many rabbit trails.

Any help would be appreciated with these few questions.

We are using a Nature 2 Sun Purity cartridge, so I guess that our system is neither bromine or chlorine. There is also an ozonator that is supposed to enable us to use less chemicals. We use a non chlorine shock after each use and also every week use a chlorine crystal shock, weekly spa protect, and Spa Perfect.

1. Could anyone tell me the best place (best price) for home spa chemicals and which brand satisfies most members here?

2. Does anyone have a favorite water test kit that provides an accurate result? I have found that the included test strips are not helping me.

3. Do most members here have a favorite web site or 2 that you use for filters and chemicals that have a good selection and fair pricing?

If some members could direct me to some links on these questions or favorite web stores, I will be thankful. Just trying to get off on the right foot and not make a lot of goofy mistakes, especially not in the freezing Ohio winter!

We are excited about being part of this group and truly appreciate and guidance you guys can provide to us. Hopefully, we will be able to give back as our experience in this area grows. Thank you all very much in advance for the help and that we can be a part of this group! JP

I'd use Bioguard Spa Shock-Oxidizer (non-chlorine MPS) and the Chlorinating Concentrate. Also their Stain & Scale Control. I just briefly looked at the Litehouse website and it looks like they have their own private label chemicals so there's no telling who makes them. IMO BioGuard is the best. http://www.spaguard.com. As a dealer of course I'm going to tell you to buy your chemicals, parts and filters from your dealer! It looks like the prices are fair on their chemicals (again we don't know who makes them)....the inner core/outer core filters Litehouse sells are marked higher than what we sell them for but overall they're a fair price. Your dealer should be providing you a comprehensive water test free of charge....but sometimes you just don't want to get out. At home I use the AquaChek TruTest - which is pretty darn accurate. You can buy this anywhere online (Amazon, etc.) This does not test TDS (Total Dissolved Solids - an indicator of water saturation - and a sign to drain/refill when we get above 2000) and calcium hardness. I would get to the dealer at least once a month to get these tests.

Hello all, We just bought our first hot tub (or is it home spa) and this looked like the premier spa forum on the net on which to receive and give information. I have been a lurker for past 2 months and decided to "jump in". In November, we purchased a 2010 Sundance Cameo from Litehouse Pools in Ohio. Didn't really want the JBL stereo system; but they included it with the new remote and the price out the door for everything including delivery and tax came to $9300, so I think we got a fair deal. I have been trying to do a search for various questions that I have; but ended up down many rabbit trails.

Any help would be appreciated with these few questions.

We are using a Nature 2 Sun Purity cartridge, so I guess that our system is neither bromine or chlorine. There is also an ozonator that is supposed to enable us to use less chemicals. We use a non chlorine shock after each use and also every week use a chlorine crystal shock, weekly spa protect, and Spa Perfect.

1. Could anyone tell me the best place (best price) for home spa chemicals and which brand satisfies most members here?

2. Does anyone have a favorite water test kit that provides an accurate result? I have found that the included test strips are not helping me.

3. Do most members here have a favorite web site or 2 that you use for filters and chemicals that have a good selection and fair pricing?

If some members could direct me to some links on these questions or favorite web stores, I will be thankful. Just trying to get off on the right foot and not make a lot of goofy mistakes, especially not in the freezing Ohio winter!

We are excited about being part of this group and truly appreciate and guidance you guys can provide to us. Hopefully, we will be able to give back as our experience in this area grows. Thank you all very much in advance for the help and that we can be a part of this group! JP

Some owners have their favorite name brand suppliers, but if you read the labels of ingredients on most of the name brands, you'll probably see the ingredients are generally the same from brand to brand...the percentage of concentration may differ though as well as the quality control.

Generally speaking, you can find your chemicals online through various outlets at a cheaper price than provided by dealers. Remember to calculate the cost of shipping when comparing prices. If you plan your needs in advance, purchasing online also saves the time and expense of a trip to the dealer. The drawback of purchasing online is the delay. If you're in a hurry to get a specific chemical, the immediacy of purchasing through your dealer, if they're close and convenient, may negate the price differential.

Since dealers and online distributors have "specials" on a regular but unpredictable basis, it's difficult to say the prices at distributor "A" will always be better than those at distributor "B". That being said, I've found Poolgeek to generally provide lower prices on a variety of chemical products than some other distributors. They do not carry all brands, though and their offerings for buying in bulk quantities is limited.

I would recommend you visit the Pool/Spa Water Care section of this forum and search through the Hot Tub Water Chemistry section. You'll find a ton of useful information there. Since you've been lurking on the forum for a couple of months, perhaps you've already read Nitro's Dichlor/Bleach procedure. If you haven't yet, I recommend you do so...very helpful.

As for test kits, the Taylor drop test kit model 2006 (for chlorine) is routinely recommended by many on this forum. The best price I've found online is at Amato Industries. You can also get them directly from Taylor Technologies.

I hope this helps...or it's at least a start for you.

gman B)

FWIW, BIoguard and it's Spaguard brand is made by Chemtura as their exclusive dealer line. They also makes Spa time (a brand sold in the big box stores along with several other lines line Guardex, Sun, Omni, Synery, AquaChem and Hydrotech, not to mention SoftSpa and Softswim.

Arch Chemical manufactures HTH, Brilliance, Being Aromatherapy, and Poollife, not to mention Baquaspa and Baquacil. They also recently aquired Applied Biochemists so they now have Robarb, Rendexvous, Leisure Time, Quantum Biochemical, Applied Biochemists, GLB, AquaSilk, and Ultima

There are a few more smaller companies like Haviland (Proteam ,Haviland and private label) and NJonas (mostly private label) but these are all the "big players".

There really is not a lot of difference between spa (or pool) chemicals. For example Total alkalinity increaser is just Sodium Bicarbonate ( it's other name is often listed--sodium hydrogen carbonate) but nothing can change the fact that it is just plain old baking soda and the stuff from the grocery store works exactly the same for a lot less money!

These companies make lines that are "dealer exclusive" and ones for mass distribution. They are basically the same except for the price. Supposedly you pay more for the "dealer exclusive" lines because of the expertise of the dealer but, sadly, in many cases the dealer does not really have that much knowledge and is really just interested in making sales and maximizing their bottom line, which they often try and do with their "free water testing" so the can sell you a lot of product that you really do not need. Bioguard's ALEX system is famous for that, for example. It is really more of a tool for dealers to maximize their profits tnan a tool to help pool or spa owners maintain their water.

I appreciate the info guys. Just was growing weary of driving to Litehouse every week to get the water tested, as the little strips they gave don't accomplish much. I won't be buying the Litehouse chemicals any longer since it is overpriced and better deals seem to be online. Many more questions; but I'm sure that there is a wealth of info in the archives on this site. Again thanks, JP

I appreciate the info guys. Just was growing weary of driving to Litehouse every week to get the water tested, as the little strips they gave don't accomplish much. I won't be buying the Litehouse chemicals any longer since it is overpriced and better deals seem to be online. Many more questions; but I'm sure that there is a wealth of info in the archives on this site. Again thanks, JP

Ditch the strips and get either a Taylor K-2006 for chlorine or a K-2106 for bromine. Don't get a K-2005. You will not regret it.

That is interesting Waterbear. I have been told at Litehouse that the professional water test kits are still on back order after 2 months and I feel that I am getting the runaround. Oh we get our water tested for "free" though after driving through the weather to get there! That is why I am buying a Taylor kit online tonight. I appreciate the help sir, JP

One last question for anyone. Since Litehouse recommended the Sun Purity cartridge for our Cameo, does that mean we would order the Taylor 2106 test kit for bromine even though we are doing the colloidal silver thing with the Nature 2 Sun Purity cartridge? I know it is not a chlorine system; but don't know if it actually called a bromine system. I know I have some learning to do! Thanks again!

Thank you! Amato it is and I bought the Taylor 2106 for $46. Best price there was!

If you are doing Nature2 it is a chlorine system (chlorine is needed weekly or 'as needed' for shocking and MPS is used before and after each soak in between or chlorine is used in lieu of MPS) and you would need the K-2006 and you will also need to get the MPS interference remover reagent.

Personally, I would not use the N2 cartridge (it's another great moneymaker for the dealers. I know because I used to sell them when in worked in the retail end of the industry.) and go with either plain chlorine or a three step bromine system.

Since you ordered the bromine test kit give the bromine a try.

Ah, I see. Man, I have to say that the folks who sold us this first tub should have been more knowledgeable of basic operating procedures, so either they don't know much or else they just don't care. I love the Cameo that we bought; but it would have been nice to get more info from the dealer. I am finding out every day that we were told a bunch of BS but at least got a fair price on the equipment. Those people told me that the Sun Purity system was neither chlorine or bromine. And it went downhill from there at Litehouse.

Thanks again Waterbear for the info and the link to the thread on bromine. We will give the bromine a shot since it sounds easier to maintain. The wife has excema and the bromine might be less harsh than the chlorine; but will need to look into that. Cheers, JP