Chlorinates

glennmacph

Well got my color Q water tester now,I've been testing 2 times per day just to understand the new meter and understand hot water chemistry a bit better.

My onzen tub produces chlorine and ozone through out the day depending on settings.

Since I got my new meter my chlorinates have been in the .8 to 1.1 range,I think this is high and calls for a super-chlorination or is this level O.K.????????????????????????

If there is ozone in the water it will test as combined chlorine. In a well designed system there should not be any ozone in the water since ozone is toxic. However, in many systems the ozone is just injected and the water returned to the tub. Turn off your ozone production and see if you are still showing combined chlorine.

What is your FC level?

I think that if you turn off the tub for a few minutes, most of the ozone residual should be gone, and then you can get a water sample.

Are you using MPS? Mps will register in the CC test. If you are using MPS, you should get the reagent to remove the MPS CC interference.

I recommend that you read the following:

Nitro's approach to Water Maintenance

Dichlor/bleach Method In A Nutshell

Chlorine Demand

If your CC level is higher than 0.5 ppm, or if you have an excessive chlorine demand, then you need to shock.

Also, the correct term is chloramines or combined chlorine, not chlorinates.

Hi Larry: My meter alway's reads a much higher tc than fc even after super shock,it cant be accurate for cc or at least I cant get it to read lower.I average .8 to 1.5 ppm higher all the time

I produce ozone for 2 hours on and 4 off through out a 24 hour period,and produce chlorine for 12 hours out of 24 per day.

The guru's believe its the ozone affecting the reading,do you have a ozonator???????

I recommend that you also use an FAS-DPD chlorine test as a verifier. The test is a titration that goes from pink to clear, so it should be readable by someone with color blindness as long as you can distinguish a pink from clear solution..

You don't have to buy the whole test kit. Just get the reagents R-0870-I, R-0871-C and R-0003-C and follow these instructions:

Chlorine (Free, Combined) Test

1. Rinse and fill large comparator tube to desired mark with water to be tested.

NOTE: For 1 drop = 0.2 ppm, use 25 mL sample.

For 1 drop = 0.5 ppm, use 10 mL sample.

2. Add 2 dippers R-0870. Swirl until dissolved. If free chlorine is present, sample will turn pink.

NOTE: If pink color disappears, add R-0870 until color turns pink.

3. Add R-0871 dropwise, swirling and counting after each drop, until color changes from pink to colorless.

4. Multiply drops in Step 3 by drop equivalence (Step 1).

Record as parts per million (ppm) free chlorine (FC).

5. Add 5 drops R-0003. Swirl to mix. If combined chlorine is present, sample will turn pink.

6. Add R-0871 dropwise, swirling and counting after each drop, until color changes from pink to colorless.

7. Multiply drops in Step 6 by drop equivalence (Step 1).

Record as ppm combined chlorine (CC).

You can use any 10-ml or 25 ml sample tube as long as you can swirl the solution.

Here is a page of instruction videos that shows how to do the test.

If you use MPS, then you should use the MPS interference remover reagent K-2042