Hot Springs Landmark Mod S Heater

rjcaldwell

I purchased a Hot Springs Landmark Modle S in late 2002. No problems until recently. Jets work fine, but Spa will not heat water. The circulation pump appears to be working amd I have reset the power to the spa a few times and still no heat. The heater appears to be a No-Fault 6000 heater, a silent flo 5000 circulation pump, 2 Watkins 7000 wavemaster jet pumps, and an IQ 2020 Control box.

What is the most likely cause of my problem?

order of what I'd check

• circ pump filter / restricted flow
  • circ pump
  • high limit sensor
  • heater

And you'll be wasting a lot of time. Spa God is correct. For this tub with this controller, the first thing to do is to open the control box and see if the two LED's (Limit OK and Heat) are lit or not. If they are both lit, the problem will be with the heater or heater relay board. If one or both are not lit, now other components must be checked.

John

order of what I'd check

• circ pump filter / restricted flow
  • circ pump
  • high limit sensor
  • heater

And you'll be wasting a lot of time. Spa God is correct. For this tub with this controller, the first thing to do is to open the control box and see if the two LED's (Limit OK and Heat) are lit or not. If they are both lit, the problem will be with the heater or heater relay board. If one or both are not lit, now other components must be checked.

John

Both lights are lit, but top is GREEN, just below it is RED. I have tried pushing down the red reset button the top of the heater but does not help.

Those lights are labelled on the board... I cant be arsed to go look at a board to see which one is which.. Hot springs tech anywhere???

I think the fact there is a red means it is not the heater relay board... likely the pressure sensor or the hi limit... have a look at which light is which will ya? It says right on the board beside the light which is which...?

Not sure if I replied correctly a second ago, but, the two lights are lit but the top one is GREEN and the lower one is RED. I have tried the red reset button on top of the heater to no avail. Have no idea where to look for a recirc. pump filter (recirc pump appears to be running).

Since the heater on light is lit, the thermistors are satisfied so it's not them or the circ pump. That leaves 2 possibilities:

1. If it is still the original No-Fault 6000 heater it could be that the heater is dead.

2. Also a very good chance that it is the heater relay board.

You would need to check the heater wires for continuity. It should have about 10 ohms of resistance. If it reads open the heater is bad.

If the heater is good, then you need to check for proper voltage at the terminals where the heater wires attach. If there is no voltage then the heater relay board needs to be replaced.

My bet would be the heater relay board.

Hey Dan

what is the second light that is red?

Do the lights change color from red to green? or is it simply lit or not lit?

I was thinking first green was hi limit and green was good and the second red was heater and since it was red it meant not calling for heat...

But i take it from your call that the color does not matter and the just the fact that it is either lit or not lit matters?

Hey Dan

what is the second light that is red?

Do the lights change color from red to green? or is it simply lit or not lit?

I was thinking first green was hi limit and green was good and the second red was heater and since it was red it meant not calling for heat...

But i take it from your call that the color does not matter and the just the fact that it is either lit or not lit matters?

Yeah, they don't change color. The top one says "limit OK" and should be lit green if things are OK. If it is not lit then it's usually due to one of the thermistors.

The second one says "heater on" and should be lit red if the heater is on. Now, if the tub is not calling for heat and is at the proper temp the light will not be on beacause the heater is not on.

The bottom one says "control unplugged". It should never be lit, if it is you have some trouble.

I actually check both components with these tests in this case. Although rare, I have had instances where a faulted or damaged heater has also taken the heater relay board with it. And to the OP, don't obsess about the LED colors. They don't change. They are either lit or not lit.

John

Not sure if I replied correctly a second ago, but, the two lights are lit but the top one is GREEN and the lower one is RED. I have tried the red reset button on top of the heater to no avail. Have no idea where to look for a recirc. pump filter (recirc pump appears to be running).

Since the heater on light is lit, the thermistors are satisfied so it's not them or the circ pump. That leaves 2 possibilities:

1. If it is still the original No-Fault 6000 heater it could be that the heater is dead.

2. Also a very good chance that it is the heater relay board.

You would need to check the heater wires for continuity. It should have about 10 ohms of resistance. If it reads open the heater is bad.

If the heater is good, then you need to check for proper voltage at the terminals where the heater wires attach. If there is no voltage then the heater relay board needs to be replaced.

My bet would be the heater relay board.

• 3 weeks later...

The top light, solid GREEN is: "LIM ON" The light just below it, the solid RED one is: "HEATER ON"

Turns out to be the heater relay board. I missed it - when I took the cover off of the control board I should have looked on the inside of the cover for the black soot caused by the heater relay board directly behind it.

$250 later I had a new board installed by the technician and a working heater.

Thanks everyone - case closed.

• 6 months later...

I'm wondering if I can continue on this same subject and ask for help similar to that already provided.

I have the same spa.

History--

Heater replaced 2 years ago with OEM No Fault.

Heater board replaced with updated model about six months ago.

Tub worked fine for a few months---- now it is not heating.

Thermistors both replaced this week (Hi Limit and Control).

I have reset the tub several times.

Circulation pump and all other components seem fine.

On the circuit board I have one green light lit, which i believe is the limit ok indicator.

The red call for heat light is NOT lit and obviously the tub is not hot.

I'm wondering what is the most likely problem? Any help you can provide is appreciated. Thanks.

I'm wondering if I can continue on this same subject and ask for help similar to that already provided.

I have the same spa.

History--

On the circuit board I have one green light lit, which i believe is the limit ok indicator.

I'm wondering what is the most likely problem? Any help you can provide is appreciated. Thanks.

Could be a flow problem. Take the filters out and reset the breakers. If it heats up then the filters are too dirty.

If the heater on light is not lit then there is either not enough flow from the circ pump, one of the new thermistors could be bad, or the control panel could be bad.

I have the same spa.

History--

Are the power and ready LED's on the front of the tub flashing, steady or off??

John

• 4 years later...

Hi,

I too have no heater operation.
I have the Hot Springs Landmark S with a serial number of S 261104 that is a late 1996 so I've been informed. I installed a new heater housing and two thermisters. The heater worked fine before refurbishing the heater housing project. The flow control valve when the circulator pump is running reads 1 ohm. I jumpered the two terminals in the Flow Control valve on the control board and still no 220volts at the heater outlet on the control board where the heater plugs into. Any suggestions on resetting the unit? I tripped the breakers many time and no reset. Does anyone have an old Landmark S that has any parts available?
Thanks
Dave