Regarding High Ch Levels....

kiamo

Hi Folks,

Long time no see... life's busy. I've been using Nitro's method for the better part of a year now. Works fantastic!

Question tho'... CH in the town I'm living in is somewhat high. About 375 out of the tap, which has me keeping my TA at about 40. It works... I was under the impression the only way to "soften" it would be to install an appropriate system... BUT, I've come across a product in Canada, Calgon Water Softener (also one boxed for Co-Op) which contains sodium sesquicarbonate and sodium tripolyphosphate for "softening laundry water.

Could this be added to my tub to bring the CH down a little?

Thanx for any input,

Roger

Those chemicals soften the water by forming insoluble calcium compounds. The calcium precipitates out as a granular powder, and as scale. I recommend against trying to remove calcium this way as it makes a mess and could scale the tub and equipment. You can manage the CSI by keeping a lower carbonate alkalinity and/or a lower pH. Adding a metal sequestrant could also help.

If you want to reduce the calcium level of your fill water, then you should use a water softener.

Hi Folks,

Long time no see... life's busy. I've been using Nitro's method for the better part of a year now. Works fantastic!

Question tho'... CH in the town I'm living in is somewhat high. About 375 out of the tap, which has me keeping my TA at about 40. It works... I was under the impression the only way to "soften" it would be to install an appropriate system... BUT, I've come across a product in Canada, Calgon Water Softener (also one boxed for Co-Op) which contains sodium sesquicarbonate and sodium tripolyphosphate for "softening laundry water.

Thanx for any input,

Roger

in a word...no

Hi Folks,

Thanx for any input,

Roger

in a word...no

• 2 weeks later...

HotSpring makes a product called "Vanishing Act" that does a very good job of lowering CH, and it leaves no residual behind, but it is pricey (about $30 IIRC). It comes packaged as what looks like a pillow. You place the pillow over your recirc inlet and leave it there for 24 hours, rotating after 12. You can likely get 2 uses out of it, if you let it dry out well and bag it in between uses. They started manufacturing it for use with their ACE saltwater system to prevent the electrodes from scaling. I used it on my initial fill (came with the initial chemicals), but likley won't need it in the future, as my unsoftened hose water is quite soft to begin with, about 40-50 ppm CH.