Too Many Choices

plane_crazy

Looking for a spa, outside, maybe 4-5-6 person. There are just so many choices out there and it seems incredibly difficult to narrow down the differences.

Looking to spend maybe 10K-12K, live in NJ.

I'd rather get high quality and spend a bit more and even get less 'fancy features' and just a real quality spa that will last.

I've looked at what I think are most of the major vendors.

Anybody want to tell me what they think are the top 2-3 quality spa makers out there?

Thanks a lot

Looking for a spa, outside, maybe 4-5-6 person. There are just so many choices out there and it seems incredibly difficult to narrow down the differences.

I'd rather get high quality and spend a bit more and even get less 'fancy features' and just a real quality spa that will last.

Anybody want to tell me what they think are the top 2-3 quality spa makers out there?

Thanks a lot

Hot Spring, D1, Jacuzzi

I know you can get a high quality spa for much less than 10-12k. Definitely check out Jacuzzi, I found their pricing to be reasonable. Oh and spas are like tents - if it says "4 person" it generally means 2 people comfortably. My J-280 says it seats 6-7 people, which it does, but 4 can get in and be very comfortable.

Thanks a lot

You should visit 2 or 3 dealers but chances are half the ones people mention won't be in your area and you really want someone within 40 miles of you if possible so they can service you (more rural areas have to stretch that distance obviously) so I'll give you a couple more.

My personal short list would be Caldera, D1, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi, Marquis and Sundance. All are known to make a good product and also back their warranties well if issues occur (all warrantees look alike for the most part, not all back them equally).

You can go to most every spa dealer website and simply enter your zip code in their "dealer locator" and it'll show you if they have a local dealer.

Thanks a lot

You should visit 2 or 3 dealers but chances are half the ones people mention won't be in your area and you really want someone within 40 miles of you if possible so they can service you (more rural areas have to stretch that distance obviously) so I'll give you a couple more.

My personal short list would be Caldera, D1, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi, Marquis and Sundance. All are known to make a good product and also back their warranties well if issues occur (all warrantees look alike for the most part, not all back them equally).

You can go to most every spa dealer website and simply enter your zip code in their "dealer locator" and it'll show you if they have a local dealer.

I would add Caldera to my list as well...I'd avoid marquis and sundance like the plague, but that's just my opinion. Like stated above just start visiting some local dealers and getting a feel for not only them but the products, sit in a few, wet test a few and make sure they provide good service after the sale...good luck

Others have already given you a list of a half dozen reputable hot tub manufacturers, all of which make very good quality tubs. As you may have already determined, not all may be available in your vicinity.

A couple of things to keep in mind when searching for a hot tub...

The number of jets is not nearly as important as you might think. The type of jets (i.e., size and the ability to control the direction of the water flow, type of flow and amount of water pressure, introduction of air, etc.) and their placement in the tub are more important than simply the total number of jets. Therefore, don't be too concerned about total jet count.

The only real way to tell the difference between tubs is to wet-test the specific models that you are interested in. Wet-testing a different model from the same manufacturer is NOT the same as wet-testing the specific model you might purchase, and sitting in a dry tub will not provide any useful information to you as to the tub's hydrotherapy and the effect the swirling water has on your bouyancy.

BTW, I have a Sundance Optima. The manufacturer states its designed for 6-7 persons. It's a great tub and 4 adults can sit in it very comfortably. But with 5, 6, or 7 people, I guarantee if you weren't close friends before hand, you will be by the time you finish your soak.

Good luck in your search. B)

gman

2009 Sundance Optima

Others have already given you a list of a half dozen reputable hot tub manufacturers, all of which make very good quality tubs. As you may have already determined, not all may be available in your vicinity.

A couple of things to keep in mind when searching for a hot tub...

The number of jets is not nearly as important as you might think. The type of jets (i.e., size and the ability to control the direction of the water flow, type of flow and amount of water pressure, introduction of air, etc.) and their placement in the tub are more important than simply the total number of jets. Therefore, don't be too concerned about total jet count.

The only real way to tell the difference between tubs is to wet-test the specific models that you are interested in. Wet-testing a different model from the same manufacturer is NOT the same as wet-testing the specific model you might purchase, and sitting in a dry tub will not provide any useful information to you as to the tub's hydrotherapy and the effect the swirling water has on your bouyancy.

BTW, I have a Sundance Optima. The manufacturer states its designed for 6-7 persons. It's a great tub and 4 adults can sit in it very comfortably. But with 5, 6, or 7 people, I guarantee if you weren't close friends before hand, you will be by the time you finish your soak.

Good luck in your search. B)

gman

2009 Sundance Optima

The Cameo and Maxxus are also nice.

1st I'd stick to the better brands "my list" in no specific order, Hot Spring, D1, Sundance, Jacuzzi.

I'd focus on who I want to do business with first by finding out who sells these brands in your area. My first visit to their store is more about them and how they do business, try and meet the owner/manager. Don't get sucked into talking about the spa's yet. The more you know about them as a business the better your position is to get a great deal. Once you have identified which store(s) you would do business with then start looking at the specific brand/model atributes. Do a wet test before buying.

Dave

Hot Spring Grandee

Sundance Optima

I would go with HotSpring Grandee or Vista or Sundance Cameo or Optima. In my opinion the Sundance Spas are better on hydrotherapy and the HotSpring slightly better in longevity and energy efficiency.

Thanks a lot

I would go with HotSpring Grandee or Vista or Sundance Cameo or Optima. In my opinion the Sundance Spas are better on hydrotherapy and the HotSpring slightly better in longevity and energy efficiency.

Thanks a lot

Agree on the Sundance Cameo or Optima. Now is a good time to buy with dealers looking to thin their inventory. Sundance will have no major changes for 2011.

Keep an eye open for used name brand models also.

I got a used Sundance Optima for $2,000 and could not be happier. I've had it eight months and had to change the heater and the circulating motor, but they were both realatively inexpensive and easy to replace. I spent about $1,000 to have it moved and hooked up, so for $3,000 I was in a very nice hot tub.

When I saw the ad I made sure I was the first one to see it too, and bought it before anybody else could even look at it. Sometime you just get lucky.