Not Getting Heat

VTCraig

I have an older Hot Springs Souvereign hot tub - not sure what year. It's always worked great and never had any trouble with it. The only thing I've had to do is clean the filters. It didn't get a lot of use this last summer (and I didn't know there was a summer switch - so it was working all summer). I noticed the red light was blinking on the front (and I thought cause the power went out it may have tripped it)... and the water was in the 70's. I cleaned the filters and shut it off for a minute and restarted it - and it stopped blinking - went to check it the next day to see the temp - and it was blinking again - and no warmer. I talked with my co-worker and he said I should use the chemical cleaner to remove oils and stuff - so I did and reset it again - and again it was blinking. I've read a bunch of forums with similar problems. My circ pump seems to be working - I see water movement in the tub (like I have before in the past) - and I can feel it running. So the answer should be the high limit - but from the description of what they look like - I can't find mine. The water flows from the circ pump to the heater which is in a long cartridge (5000 I think it has written on it) and it has 2 wires going to 2 sensors (I'm assuming) - I pulled one out and it's just a little short nub. After that the water flows up thru a flow switch. If I unplug the flow switch - it doesn't do anything - but when I replug it back in - it makes a click noise. Is this supposed to do that? I checked the heater after I reset it - and the end starts to warm up a little (don't know how warm it should be). I could use any help - trying to rule out things but don't know what to do. Saw one forum talk about checking ohms - but their picture didn't look anything like what I have. Usually takes about 1/2 hour for it to trip.

thank you for any help or advice

Sounds like the heater went out...I would unplug the heater from the control box and power it on. If it stays on then the heater is at fault and needs to be replaced.

you were right - it stayed on not problem - and I plugged it back in - it tripped again about 1 hour later

thanks for the help

I appreciate it

Sounds like the heater went out...I would unplug the heater from the control box and power it on. If it stays on then the heater is at fault and needs to be replaced.

you were right - it stayed on not problem - and I plugged it back in - it tripped again about 1 hour later

thanks for the help

I appreciate it

Probably not the heater. A flashing power light indicates low flow or a hi-limit condition. With the heater unplugged there is no chance for the water inside the heater to get too hot and cause the light to flash.

I would still look for the hi-limit sensor to be bad or not enough flow from the circulation pump. Take the filters right out and try resetting the tub and see what happens.

I agree. Most likely, it is a flow issue and not an electrical/electronics issue.

John

thanks for the help

I appreciate it

Probably not the heater. A flashing power light indicates low flow or a hi-limit condition. With the heater unplugged there is no chance for the water inside the heater to get too hot and cause the light to flash.

I would still look for the hi-limit sensor to be bad or not enough flow from the circulation pump. Take the filters right out and try resetting the tub and see what happens.