Chemicals - Where Do You Store Them

Tubber McGee

Ok - Another silly question - but Im on a roll today!

I need to find a spot to store my chemicals! Since I will be using them often - I would like to keep them close to the tub! as oppossed to in my back storage area which is on the opposite side of the house.

I was thinking of getting a small deck box and storing the chemicals inside!

Where do you store your chemicals?

Are chemicals OK to be stored outside? What about during the winter months?

Thks

For what it's worth...

If you look at the label on the outside of your various chemical containers, there should be information regarding storage. Generally speaking, you don't want your chemicals to be exposed to extreme temperatures. If you're in a climate, like the Midwest, where temperatures can be as high as 100 degrees in the summer and as low as -25 degrees below zero in winter, keeping chemicals outside is not a good idea.

My tub is on the balcony deck just off the master bedroom. So I keep my chemicals stored on the floor of my bedroom closet. The chemicals are inside a couple of "file folder" carry cases (made of plastic), which you can pick up at any Office Depot. These cases are not expensive.

These file folder cases have a hinged lid that is secured with a latch and contains a handle for lifting. There is also a lid within the lid, which covers a separate shallow storage compartment. I use this lid storage space to hold miscellaneous stuff like measuring spoons, notes, latex gloves, small spare spa cover lifter parts, etc. The cases protect the chemicals from water, dirt, etc. The cases protect the carpet from the chemicals. Since the chemicals are stored inside, their not exposed to extreme temperatures and the file folder carry cases make transporting the chemicals to the tub very easy and safe...no worries with spillage inside the house.

I hope this helps.

gman

I keep mine in the kitchen cabinet up high so the kids can't reach them, storing them under the spa in the equipment area or in "storage steps" is definately a no-no.

I keep my chemicals on my deck in a plastic deck box. I live in the San Francisco, CA area so temperatures are fairly moderate.

My suggestion ... I keep these chemicals in a large plastic bucket (paint bucket size, like you find at the hardware store). Chemicals spill and the bucket makes sure that the spill is contained and doesn't leak out on the deck. I haven't had any spills ... it's just a precaution.

Good luck,

- Simon

My tub sits on a concrete pad, and there are freestanding wooden steps next to it, for ease of entry/exit. The top step is hinged, making a little storage area. I keep dry chems there (dichlor, mps, dry acid). The liquid chlorine lives around the corner against the north side of the house, in permanent shade. My kids are old enough that I don't have to worry about them messing around.

--paulr

Sounds weird - but in a plastic bin (similar to a sterilite storage bin with a folding top) in a corner of the dining room, out of the way.

I actually have too many in that bin but the dealer gave me a compendium of chemicals, and I had some from my old hot tub. I generally only use Ph reducer and throw some sea salt in there to keep the free chlorine up, I have the Arctic Spa Onzen system and it's fine. I use very few additives.

Inside, high and dry, and I don't have kids here. The only child I have is 33, she's off, married, and she moved out nearly 16 years ago,

I had never really thought about this. I bought my Hot Tub end of March and have kept all my chemicals in a cabinet in the garage. I was planning to leave them there through the winter too. Is that a bad idea? If so, I will get a carrying case and keep them in the laundry room.

I had never really thought about this. I bought my Hot Tub end of March and have kept all my chemicals in a cabinet in the garage. I was planning to leave them there through the winter too. Is that a bad idea? If so, I will get a carrying case and keep them in the laundry room.

I don't know what the powdered version of chlorine is like but the liquid form is best stored in colder conditions as heat makes the chemical lose it's strength.

The main chemical to be concerned about in terms of the effects from storage is Muriatic Acid since it is in a container with a vented cap and the acid fumes can rapidly deteriorate metal that is nearby. Chlorinating liquid is also in a container with a vented cap and can also oxidize nearby metal, but is usually not as destructive.

I keep mine in a kitchen cabinet along with the trash can & trash bags. I also find that rarely are more than the chlorine granules used. I normally keep individual doses of chlorine granules in a stack of clear bead containes that the top of one threads to the bottom of the next.