Coast, Pdc Or Hot Spring

rsc92

We looked at a handful of spas yesterday. Dry tested all of them. The Coast seemed to be the most impressive, allowing you to add jets and had a great variety of seating options. The PDC was less impressive in terms of seating options. The Hot Spring (Vista) was another viable option, but seemed to have the fewest jets and the highest price (nearly 1.7 times the price of the Coast Spa)

Does anyone have experience and or opinions of these brands?

We looked at a handful of spas yesterday. Dry tested all of them. The Coast seemed to be the most impressive, allowing you to add jets and had a great variety of seating options. The PDC was less impressive in terms of seating options. The Hot Spring (Vista) was another viable option, but seemed to have the fewest jets and the highest price (nearly 1.7 times the price of the Coast Spa)

Which Coast was it, also was it full foam filled?

I got mine only 9 days ago and so far I am extremely impressed, the different seat options available are nice and the fit and finish feels first rate. But the same is true for the HS which is also a first rate tub, can't really go wrong with either.

I got mine only 9 days ago and so far I am extremely impressed, the different seat options available are nice and the fit and finish feels first rate. But the same is true for the HS which is also a first rate tub, can't really go wrong with either.

unfortunately I know nothing about PDC as there has never been a dealer near me. Hotsprings is a high quality spa and the company is one of the most reputable. I sell Coast and I am impressed with their product. My opinion is obviously biased but the best thing for you to do is wet test the models you are interested in. Which Coast are you looking at and with what options?

unfortunately I know nothing about PDC as there has never been a dealer near me. Hotsprings is a high quality spa and the company is one of the most reputable. I sell Coast and I am impressed with their product. My opinion is obviously biased but the best thing for you to do is wet test the models you are interested in. Which Coast are you looking at and with what options?

I don't know which model it was. It was a six person spa with waterfall and approximately 40 jets. Price was in the high $6k range.

I don't know which model it was. It was a six person spa with waterfall and approximately 40 jets. Price was in the high $6k range.

Given the price and jet count I would assume it is a 40 Jet Northwind series. Without knowing what options it has and what is included it seems like a pretty good price.

I'd lean to Hot Spring over Coast but go with which you think it best. The Vista is their top of the line so if you're looking at a Coast that is much less expensive you're probaly looking at Coast's secondary line so you might look at the Hot Spot or Limelight models from Hot Spring which are designed to compete in that $5k to $8k range I think you're looking in. PDC isn't something I too familiar with.

Are the Northwinds range full-foam filled as standard or is it an optional extra?

Either way I would definitely tick the box for full-foam filled because it not only keeps heating costs low but stops the pipes from moving and causing leaks. Did it have a lounger?

The Northwinds and Elite series have full-foam as an optional (recommended) extra. Full-foam is standard on their Luxury series.

The Northwinds and Elite series have full-foam as an optional (recommended) extra. Full-foam is standard on their Luxury series.

It must be different in the US and Canada because over here the Elite comes fully foam filled.

I'd lean to Hot Spring over Coast but go with which you think it best. The Vista is their top of the line so if you're looking at a Coast that is much less expensive you're probaly looking at Coast's secondary line so you might look at the Hot Spot or Limelight models from Hot Spring which are designed to compete in that $5k to $8k range I think you're looking in. PDC isn't something I too familiar with.

I agree, HotSpring is more of a match for Coast's Elite and Luxury models. And HS is a very good brand, though filter costs are a little steep. The only thing I never liked about the HS was the lounger, when I used it I would float out of the seat, though the system they use is very effective IF you can stay put.

If I were him I would also consider D1 and Sundance as both brands also do cheaper models.

It must be different in the US and Canada because over here the Elite comes fully foam filled.

I agree, HotSpring is more of a match for Coast's Elite and Luxury models. And HS is a very good brand, though filter costs are a little steep. The only thing I never liked about the HS was the lounger, when I used it I would float out of the seat, though the system they use is very effective IF you can stay put.

If I were him I would also consider D1 and Sundance as both brands also do cheaper models.

Going to look at D1 and Sundance today. I have ruled out the Coast Spa as my local dealer (the only one in a 100 mile radius) has a horrible reputation, so I dont have the confidence that the service aspect will be there after the sale. I have been quoted in the low $11k range on the Hot Spring Vista, this dealer has a great reputation.

My question is, what are you getting from a $10k plus spa that the $5 - 7k spas don't offer? Even if build quality is better and the Hot Spring will last longer, I would think the cheaper spas should still last 7 to 10 years, no?? At that point I can almost buy 2 of the cheaper spas and spread the cost over 10 years (one now and a replacement ten years from now). Thoughts??? Costco has an Evolution (Strong) spa for $4k.....

$10K buys you a LOT of hot tub! Heck, that's typically pretty close to most manufacturers top of the line. Any of the major players, including HotSpring, Sundance, Jacuzzi, D1, Caldera, Marquis, etc. is going to have tubs for less than $10K. In fact, their lower tier lines will probably start in that $5K - $6K range as well, but you will make some sacrifices in jets (type and number), pumps (number, HP, and 24h circ.), size/seats, maintenance features (Tri-X filters, ACE saltwater, ozone etc.), and aesthetic options (water features, lights, sound, etc.). The off-brand tubs make you think you're getting more for the money by inflating their pump ratings, adding useless euro jets (some only use euro jets :o ), relying on one of the main pumps rather than a separate 24h circ pump for filter cycles, using significant bypass filtration (# of bottom suction fittings is a tell-tale sign) to get more power, use lower quality components/controllers/heaters, and typically will have nowhere near the dealer support of a major manufacturer who has been in the business for a longer time. In fact, I'd take it one step further, and say the dealer is as important as the manufacturer, since they will be the one to honor warranty support! Take the time to do the research, and shop/wet test everything that is a local commute to you. I think you will be glad you did.

Going to look at D1 and Sundance today. I have ruled out the Coast Spa as my local dealer (the only one in a 100 mile radius) has a horrible reputation, so I dont have the confidence that the service aspect will be there after the sale. I have been quoted in the low $11k range on the Hot Spring Vista, this dealer has a great reputation.

My question is, what are you getting from a $10k plus spa that the $5 - 7k spas don't offer? Even if build quality is better and the Hot Spring will last longer, I would think the cheaper spas should still last 7 to 10 years, no?? At that point I can almost buy 2 of the cheaper spas and spread the cost over 10 years (one now and a replacement ten years from now). Thoughts??? Costco has an Evolution (Strong) spa for $4k.....

It's unfortunate that your Coast dealer is not up to par. If you are not comfortable with them then you probably have made the right choice by ruling out Coast since you do not have a reputable dealer. Good luck with your search.

It's unfortunate that your Coast dealer is not up to par. If you are not comfortable with them then you probably have made the right choice by ruling out Coast since you do not have a reputable dealer. Good luck with your search.

Back from out trip shopping. I can safely say I have narrowed it down to the following: D1 - Chairman - I like the NeckFlex Jet System (at least conceptually); Jacuzzi J-480 and the Hot Spring Vista. The dealers have the Chairmand and J-480 available for wet testing. Our Hot Spring dealer does not have a Vista that can be wet tested. It was however, very comfortable on the dry test, but I know that does not really mean anything. I am going to scheudle a wet test with the whole family this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Back from out trip shopping. I can safely say I have narrowed it down to the following: D1 - Chairman - I like the NeckFlex Jet System (at least conceptually); Jacuzzi J-480 and the Hot Spring Vista. The dealers have the Chairmand and J-480 available for wet testing. Our Hot Spring dealer does not have a Vista that can be wet tested. It was however, very comfortable on the dry test, but I know that does not really mean anything. I am going to scheudle a wet test with the whole family this weekend.

I am an independent spa tech who used to work on coast spa's,with all the spa's i have worked on i have found the Jacuzzi line to be about the best out their.for 8 years i work with coast and found them to a poorly made over priced product for what they ask for. i have seen many of coast spa dealer cost's when receving spa shipment and 6k for a northwind is a gouge.

David

Any experience with Hot Spring spas from the service end?? I am most likely going to purchase a Hot Spring Vanguard. After wet testing, I was surprised, but the Vanguard fit our family the best.

If you like the tub best and are happy with the dealer then go for it, the HotSpring is a real good tub by accounts and I must say that I too looked at buying the Vanguard so I saw the same things in it as well. I didn't pick it for personal reasons relating to my son but other than that it's was in my final three.

David

Any experience with Hot Spring spas from the service end?? I am most likely going to purchase a Hot Spring Vanguard. After wet testing, I was surprised, but the Vanguard fit our family the best.

If you like the tub best and are happy with the dealer then go for it, the HotSpring is a real good tub by accounts and I must say that I too looked at buying the Vanguard so I saw the same things in it as well. I didn't pick it for personal reasons relating to my son but other than that it's was in my final three.

So which model did you end up picking?

I ended up getting a Coast Cascade Niagara, simply because it's negative edge meant it was the only tub which offered a constant water level regardless of the number entering or leaving the tub. My son has spinabifida and excluding the lounger he can sit in all of the seats. We tried him in my brother-in-law's HS and while he was fine when on his own once more joined him the increased water level made him float.

Too many people get hung up on brand without choosing the best tub to suit their needs, I ended up with a Coast simply because of my needs, but if things had been different than I could very well have chosen differently.

I ended up getting a Coast Cascade Niagara, simply because it's negative edge meant it was the only tub which offered a constant water level regardless of the number entering or leaving the tub. My son has spinabifida and excluding the lounger he can sit in all of the seats. We tried him in my brother-in-law's HS and while he was fine when on his own once more joined him the increased water level made him float.

Too many people get hung up on brand without choosing the best tub to suit their needs, I ended up with a Coast simply because of my needs, but if things had been different than I could very well have chosen differently.

Thats the smart thing to wet test=) Is your son's health improving with the use of a hot tub? I just think its amazing what a tub of water with some jets can do, destress, relax, clear your mind, give a great massage and countless other benefits. Congrats on the hot tub!!!

Thats the smart thing to wet test=) Is your son's health improving with the use of a hot tub? I just think its amazing what a tub of water with some jets can do, destress, relax, clear your mind, give a great massage and countless other benefits. Congrats on the hot tub!!!

I must admit I never actually thought of it until I wet tested with my son and noticed what happened. After this I also noticed that as more people got in the water increased to a level that the went above the skimmer in his HS tub, effectively making it useless. But if you set it right for say four people and only one got in the level was too low IMO.

I honestly don't know enough about the importance of the skimmer which probably someone could enlighten us but my opinion is that if it's there then it's meant to serve a purpose.

David

sorry my friend can't help on this one, their are no HS out at this end of the world. i have moved one once it looked good and felt good sitting in dry . if it fits the family go for it happy tub'in and good luck