Polaris Booster Pump Installation Question

jtfla

My polaris pb4 booster pump died so am picking up a new one. My current one is hard piped (PVC). I know the new one comes with the polaris reinforced hose. Does it matter if I install new one with polaris hose or should I hard pipe this one as well? either way, I'm not quite sure how to do it. If I use polaris hose, how do I connect hose to existing PVC? Is there some special piece of PVC that will allow the quick connect on hose end to connect? If I hard plumb, how do I connect PVC to the 2 ports on the booster pump...like what exactly do I need to buy to connect it?

Thanks for any help!!!

If you want to hard pipe like it was, you will need new 3/4" mip fittings(2), that go into the threaded ports on the pump (just copy what is there).

For the hose, it depends on what size the pipe is that is there. You will need to get slip by threaded bushings 3/4" thread by what ever size the pipe is then two couplings of that size for the end(s) of the pipe(s).

If you post a pic of the existing pump, we can let you know what fittings exactly, and what size.

Thanks pool clown. I think cuurent PVC running to/from booster pump is 1". I'm trying to post pics but can't figure out how to on this forum. Anyone know how to post a pic?

In the mean time, I think my current booster pump is 110v (there's 2 red wires going to it). I'll get a voltage meter and check. My understanding is pb4 comes set at 220v and I'll have torewire for 110. Will that be very difficult?

In the mean time, I think my current booster pump is 110v (there's 2 red wires going to it).

Two colored wires should be 240 volts. 120 volts would have a white neutral. Double check with a meter.

My understanding is pb4 comes set at 220v and I'll have to rewire for 110. Will that be very difficult?

Yes, they do come wired for 240v. It is easy to change to 120v. For some motors, you have to change two wires. The diagram is on the motor label. For other motors, you just turn a switch in the back.

Anyone know how to post a pic?

Use Photobucket and post the link.

Thank you. Here's 2 pics:

http://s1005.photobucket.com/albums/af172/jim_taylor2/polaris/

If I hard pipe or use polaris tube, please let me know what to buy. If I use polaris tube, exactly where should I cut into the pvc (e.g., somehwere in the 1" section or where 1" goes into larger pvc? Sounds like just hard pipeing may be easier? Put anything on these fittings? teflon tape?

What about the pump "died"? Are you sure you have to replace the pump? Could it be that just the motor went out? That would be easier, and cheaper than replacing the whole pump!

If you are replacing the pump complete, cut both the inlet and outlet pipes. Make nice perpendicular cuts to avoid lengthening the pipe upon reassembly. If the two sections of pipe coming out of the pump are nice and tight, you can probably reuse those pieces. Just spin them out, redope, then spin them into the new housing, and replumb. Two 1" couplings would be all you need.

The motor quit. Originally I was just going to replace motor but was able to get a new pump for only a little more $ than motor alone so figured I'd do whole thing. With your advice, I think I can do it. Thank you.

What about the pump "died"? Are you sure you have to replace the pump? Could it be that just the motor went out? That would be easier, and cheaper than replacing the whole pump!

If you are replacing the pump complete, cut both the inlet and outlet pipes. Make nice perpendicular cuts to avoid lengthening the pipe upon reassembly. If the two sections of pipe coming out of the pump are nice and tight, you can probably reuse those pieces. Just spin them out, redope, then spin them into the new housing, and replumb. Two 1" couplings would be all you need.

Yes but the two pipes are on different axis. You will have to cut at least one pipe.

Or you could just unbolt the volute (six bolts) from the seal plate, and swap out the pump that way (continue to use the existing volute, with plumbing intact)

Of course you would have to be swapping Polaris pump for Polaris pump