Inground Pool In Fine Sand

masanori

We are looking to have inground pool installed this fall. My property is all fine sand. My builder had to bring in top soil so I could have a lawn. First concern: Can the deep end be dug deep enough with out the sand falling back into the hole.Second concern:Can the sand compact enough around the walls?

Do you want a vinyl liner, fiberglass or concrete pool?

Is the land level, or is there a slope?

What is the water table? (How deep can you dig before you hit water?)

Are there any natural water features nearby, such as lakes, rivers etc? If yes, what is the elevation of your property in relation to the surface of the water feature?

You might want to consult a geotechnical engineering firm for their recommendations.

Do you want a vinyl liner, fiberglass or concrete pool?

Is the land level, or is there a slope?

What is the water table? (How deep can you dig before you hit water?)

Are there any natural water features nearby, such as lakes, rivers etc? If yes, what is the elevation of your property in relation to the surface of the water feature?

You might want to consult a geotechnical engineering firm for their recommendations.

The pool 18x36 vinyl liner polymer walls. The ground is level. No body of water near my property. My property was a sand mine.

I recommend that you consult with a geotechnical engineering firm to help you determine the best way to build this pool without having problems.

You should also be careful to negotiate a contract that specifies exactly what the pool company is responsible for as far as design, engineering and construction. The contract should also specify what the warranty will be.

Your "Request for Proposal" should be as complete and detailed as possible. This will help you avoid situations such as this post "Crack In New In Ground Vinyl Liner Pool...normal?".

There are many types of sand. You say that your property was formerly a sand mine. That adds another level of complexity.

Without an expert opinion, you are taking a big risk. You might get lucky and everything will go well with no problems, or it could be a complete disaster.

An engineer can evaluate the situation and do any necessary tests, such as a core samples and compaction tests.

As I referenced in my previous post, the example of the person with sinkholes is very informative. The builder is trying to tell them that it's normal for the pool to develop sinkholes, and the person is now in a bad situation. If they had gotten an expert opinion, then it is much less likely that they would be in this situation.

Now, most pools do not require an engineering survey. However, your concern about the stability of the soil is a good indicator that it is probably going to be a problem. I doubt that you would have posted your question unless you felt that there was a good reason to be concerned.