Creative Wiring Question

DaHose

Hello, all. New to this forum and in need of guidance. I have inherited a tub from my father-in-law and want to hook it up in my backyard. The concrete patio is about 3 inches thick where I will put it. It's an 8 ft. octagonal tub with dual 220V motors, natural gas heater and DE filter system. I don't need the commercial duty gear, so I am going to get creative to save space and make things easier to maintain.

I plan to convert to paper pool filters and need to figure out how to best wire up the motors/pumps for my needs.

Would it be sufficient to use one, 110V electric pump (1" line) that flows 750 GPH for my sanitation pump? I would use a T fitting at the skimmer output to feed it, so it would always have water and not have priming issues. It would connect back in to the main intake a couple feet further down with an anti-reversion valve on the main, so it doesn't back flow into the tub. Would that be enough to keep the water stable and clean, running for say 1/2 hour every 2 hours? How many times an hour/day should the sanitation pump be exchanging the tub water?

For power, I would like to use my dryer circuit from the garage. The circulation pump motor is 220V and 9.2 amp (18 A counting for both legs). Heat will come from a natural gas heater. I have all the electrical from the tear out of the tub as well, including air pressure relay for jets, GFCI and timers. I intend to buy some 10-4, run dedicated ground for the dryer circuit and connect the 220V GFCI for the circulation pump. I was told by a co-worker with pretty good electrical knowledge that I could break out one leg of the 220V power, to create a 110V plug for my little sanitation pump. Would the GFCI protect the 110V circuit as well?

Thanks in advance for all helpful suggestions.

Jose

Hello, all. New to this forum and in need of guidance. I have inherited a tub from my father-in-law and want to hook it up in my backyard. The concrete patio is about 3 inches thick where I will put it. It's an 8 ft. octagonal tub with dual 220V motors, natural gas heater and DE filter system. I don't need the commercial duty gear, so I am going to get creative to save space and make things easier to maintain.

I plan to convert to paper pool filters and need to figure out how to best wire up the motors/pumps for my needs.

Would it be sufficient to use one, 110V electric pump (1" line) that flows 750 GPH for my sanitation pump? I would use a T fitting at the skimmer output to feed it, so it would always have water and not have priming issues. It would connect back in to the main intake a couple feet further down with an anti-reversion valve on the main, so it doesn't back flow into the tub. Would that be enough to keep the water stable and clean, running for say 1/2 hour every 2 hours? How many times an hour/day should the sanitation pump be exchanging the tub water?

For power, I would like to use my dryer circuit from the garage. The circulation pump motor is 220V and 9.2 amp (18 A counting for both legs). Heat will come from a natural gas heater. I have all the electrical from the tear out of the tub as well, including air pressure relay for jets, GFCI and timers. I intend to buy some 10-4, run dedicated ground for the dryer circuit and connect the 220V GFCI for the circulation pump. I was told by a co-worker with pretty good electrical knowledge that I could break out one leg of the 220V power, to create a 110V plug for my little sanitation pump. Would the GFCI protect the 110V circuit as well?

Thanks in advance for all helpful suggestions.

Jose

Sounds like it should work good except, it is a code violation to break a 220V circuit to create a 110V circuit. You should run a seperate 110V with it's own breaker..