Cheap 7Day Timer For Heater

AlanF

I have a variable speed pump that I am running about 16 hours/day at a low speed. It's all working just great. However, I have a heater that does not have any type of timer (just a temp control), so if it is on, it will fire whenever the temp drops below the threshold. Ideally I'd only like the heater to run Friday, Saturday, Sunday mornings so am looking for the cheapest way to automate this.

I can find a whole bunch of fancy pool controllers that will control the pump, sweep and heater but I don't really want to spend $100's of dollars. Can I just get a simple 7 day timer and wire that into the heater electrical supply? So the heater simply wouldn't have any power except for Fri/Sat/Sun morning. Seems like this should be something I can get for $50 from any hardware store VS getting a complex pool controller.

Anyone done this? Any gotchas? Any recommended timers?

Heater is a Sta Rite Max E Therm SR400NA

thanks!

Seems all that you would need would be a 240v 7 day timer. I'd start with an electrical store before a home depot. 240 being your kicker. Most everything at a hardware store is going to be 110/120. 7 day dial timers are readily available, they came before digital. In an outdoor housing I would use $150.00 for a budget. You could use a set of contacts, like that found on an outdoor a/c unit (the condensor) and an indoor thermostate, there is usually a transformer involved as well, but we may be getting outside of your comfort zone with electricity.

All you need is a timer that will throw a switch. There is a fireman's switch built into the Sta-Rite heater that you can use. Your switch doesn't need to be high voltage or amp rated. I'll take a pic (of a heater) Thursday and post so you can see where to splice in the switch.

All you need is a timer that will throw a switch. There is a fireman's switch built into the Sta-Rite heater that you can use. Your switch doesn't need to be high voltage or amp rated. I'll take a pic (of a heater) Thursday and post so you can see where to splice in the switch.

perfect! i found the heater instruction manual on the web and it shows the fireman switch hookup. i already have a spare 24hr dial timer (from the old pool pump) in electrical box in the pool shed, so i will just switch that out with a 7day, wire to the heater and should be set. this should be cheap and pretty easy! thanks for the info.

perfect! i found the heater instruction manual on the web and it shows the fireman switch hookup. i already have a spare 24hr dial timer (from the old pool pump) in electrical box in the pool shed, so i will just switch that out with a 7day, wire to the heater and should be set. this should be cheap and pretty easy! thanks for the info.

Great, because i forgot to take a pic!