Circulation Pump

hpt9

This may sound like a real novice question, but here goes...How can I determine if the circulation pump is running?

It seems as though the only time the pump operates is when the heater is on. Is this the only time it is suppose to run or should it be on continuously? Any input would be appreciated.

Model: 2007 Sundance Hartford (with optional circulation pump).

Not being familiar with that system, I am going to go out on a limb and say yes you are correct. Typically, the circ pump is told to run when there is a call for heat. When the circ pump starts and creates some water pressure, a flow switch or pressure switch will trip and turn on the heater. The other function of the circ pump is, of course, filtration. It will also run to accomplish filtration cycles. Your spa may have adjustable filtration cycles that will cause the circ pump to run longer or shorter, or start and stop more often.

first off what make of spa is it? second do you have it in economy setting?check the owners guide and try standard mode. more information will lead to more help.

The make and model is listed in the post (2007 Sundance Hartford with optional circulation pump).

I checked the owners manual and the spa setting: it is set in standard mode F1 (1 hour of filtration per day, 30 minutes every 12 hours).

Does this mean the heating element is also activated during the filtration cycle even if the spa it operating at the set temperature? Another question comes to mind: is this enough filtration? The spa is used three to four times per week.

first off what make of spa is it? second do you have it in economy setting?check the owners guide and try standard mode. more information will lead to more help.

The make and model is listed in the post (2007 Sundance Hartford with optional circulation pump).

I checked the owners manual and the spa setting: it is set in standard mode F1 (1 hour of filtration per day, 30 minutes every 12 hours).

Does this mean the heating element is also activated during the filtration cycle even if the spa it operating at the set temperature? Another question comes to mind: is this enough filtration? The spa is used three to four times per week.

I'm not sure on that model but most spas in the last few years that have circ pumps run them 24 hours. It should be independent from the filter cycle. The owners manual should say something about it.

Another question comes to mind: is this enough filtration? The spa is used three to four times per week.

As posted previously I would of thought most circulation pumps now run 24 hours per day. This will provide a small amount of filtration, in your manual does it have a program for a main filter/purge cycle. The main pumps will shift a lot more water over a short time than the circulation pump, which is mainly fitted to put ozone into the spa and for quiet operation during heating.

I am sure a Sundance serviceman will post here soon to tell you.

This may sound like a real novice question, but here goes...How can I determine if the circulation pump is running?

It seems as though the only time the pump operates is when the heater is on. Is this the only time it is suppose to run or should it be on continuously? Any input would be appreciated.

In your tub, set in F1 mode, that circulation pump should run 24/7. (the only thing that would stop it is "summer logic" where if the tub gets 2 degrees over your set temp, it assumes it's a hot day and the circ pump is generating enough heat to bump up the temp)

The circulation/heating is separate from your filtration in f1 mode, so no it will move the water around, but will only kick on the heater if the temp has fallen. Unless you are jumping into the tub filthy F1 should be plenty for your tub.

In your tub, set in F1 mode, that circulation pump should run 24/7. (the only thing that would stop it is "summer logic" where if the tub gets 2 degrees over your set temp, it assumes it's a hot day and the circ pump is generating enough heat to bump up the temp)

The circulation/heating is separate from your filtration in f1 mode, so no it will move the water around, but will only kick on the heater if the temp has fallen. Unless you are jumping into the tub filthy F1 should be plenty for your tub.

Thanks for the pointer. I believe summer logic is the answer. I live in Charlotte and it has been blazing hot here the past coupe of weeks. In the summer the spa is set at 95 degrees. The spa is maintaining a 98 degree even when set at a lower temp.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the pointer. I believe summer logic is the answer. I live in Charlotte and it has been blazing hot here the past coupe of weeks. In the summer the spa is set at 95 degrees. The spa is maintaining a 98 degree even when set at a lower temp.

I have a similar question. I own a Sundance Capri, I believe it is a 2004 model (I bought it used).

It has been extremely hot here in the Northeast as well. I have tried to lower the temp in my hot tub as temps of a really warm pool would be much more tempting than a Hot Tub in this weather. I've tried setting it to 90 and even 95, but just cannot get the temp to go that low. I've finally just turned it back up as when it's set to the lower temp (as mentioned) the Circ pump doesn't run and I hate to have it go for long periods of time with it shut off. Is this normal? Or is my thermostat screwy?

linda in NH

I have a similar question. I own a Sundance Capri, I believe it is a 2004 model (I bought it used).

It has been extremely hot here in the Northeast as well. I have tried to lower the temp in my hot tub as temps of a really warm pool would be much more tempting than a Hot Tub in this weather. I've tried setting it to 90 and even 95, but just cannot get the temp to go that low. I've finally just turned it back up as when it's set to the lower temp (as mentioned) the Circ pump doesn't run and I hate to have it go for long periods of time with it shut off. Is this normal? Or is my thermostat screwy?

linda in NH

If it truly is hot out and if the cover is in the sun the tub can have a hard time cooling down, this is totally normal with a well insulated spa. If you set the tub into economy mode and confirm it's filtering for two hours total every 24 hours this will move the water plenty to stay filtered and fresh. With those filtration modes set don't worry about the circ pump at all. You may still have to open the lid on a non breezy day (no debris please) in order to really drop the temp to where you are trying to get.

If you think the temp is being read wrong, check the reading on the topside with a fever thermometer, they should be within two degrees. (the tub measures it's temperature in the filter area)

Some people just put a tennis ball or something in the corner to prop the spa open a little to allow heat to escape during a heat wave situation.

Great idea! I'll admit I wasn't real excited about leaving it wide open to collect bugs and the like. That seems a great compromise.

Also good to know it's not a big deal if the Circ pump isn't running as long as the other cycles are.