Spa Electrical Hook Up

Well i have a week off from school so i will finish hooking up my spa this week. could anyone provide me a picture if how i should adapt 1 1/4 in pvc conduit into the top of the gcfi/disconnedt box that i have located on the back of the house. There is a apx 3 in hole on top of the box. its a midwest/ge 50apm spa gcgi breaker box. i have a few ideas how just want to get it right the first time. I know it sounds simple but just want to see what it looks like.

Thanks inadvance

Well i have a week off from school so i will finish hooking up my spa this week. could anyone provide me a picture if how i should adapt 1 1/4 in pvc conduit into the top of the gcfi/disconnedt box that i have located on the back of the house. There is a apx 3 in hole on top of the box. its a midwest/ge 50apm spa gcgi breaker box. i have a few ideas how just want to get it right the first time. I know it sounds simple but just want to see what it looks like.

Thanks inadvance

Knock out the 1 1/4 hole on the GFCI box, if there is one? Then slide a box adapter onto the PVC and glue. Stick the adapter in the hole you knocked out and put the nut on the inside of the box. They make several kinds of box adapters for PVC, offset is likely what you will need if your going up a wall or post. Theres several different levels of quality in PVC pipe and fittings. Depending where you buy them. I like to buy the good stuff, seems to last longer, cut easier, glue easier, stay looking new longer, not get brittle as quick and fit better.

Thanks inadvance

Since you're coming out the top of the box, you should use a rain hub. This is a metal threaded fitting that accepts the conduit adapter, and has a flange having 4 holes to secure it to the box. They have them at HD and Lowes in a variety of conduit sizes for 5-8 bucks. If there's a knockout, great. If not, you will have to make a hole. If you have or can borrow a knockout punch, it's the easiest way. If not you can use a holesaw or whatever you have that will work. Make sure that there are no ragged or sharp sheet metal edges to damage the wire insulation. When locating the hole, make sure that the wires enter the box in a convenient place - i.e., can be smoothly run where they need to go without sharp bends.

After the hole is cut, generously glom some silicone seal on the rain hub flange, or use the gasket if it came with one (some do, most don't)and set it over the hole in your box. Use self drilling sheet metal screws to attach it - and dab silicone seal under the head of the screw. Screw your PVC adapter into the rain hub and you're ready to start gluing your conduit run. With top mounts, I use teflon tape on the the PVC threads to seal it up. Don't forget to chamfer the inside edges of the PVC conduit to keep it from scraping the wire insulation when you pull.

Some people don't bother with rain hubs if the box is located under the eaves. But I always use them on top of boxes, it's the right way to do it.

yes we can certainly provide you a picture for the same.

But before that i would appreciate if you could tell me that which spa your are presently using?

I rather not say, I dont want to open this tread up tp spa bashing as i have seen here b4 only want to get the electrical hooked up. using a 50 amp spa gcfi made by midwest/ge.

Thanke for understanding

Thanks inadvance

Knock out the 1 1/4 hole on the GFCI box, if there is one? Then slide a box adapter onto the PVC and glue. Stick the adapter in the hole you knocked out and put the nut on the inside of the box. They make several kinds of box adapters for PVC, offset is likely what you will need if your going up a wall or post. Theres several different levels of quality in PVC pipe and fittings. Depending where you buy them. I like to buy the good stuff, seems to last longer, cut easier, glue easier, stay looking new longer, not get brittle as quick and fit better.

Does the good stuff have a brand name?

Ok thanks so far any one have any pictures?

Sorry I do not have photos. In my current home, I fed the box from below, so it's different - no rain hub, just the adapter nutted in as Roger mentioned.

I just took a look at a few risers coming up out of the ground. Some are Carlon, some are JM... sunlight resistant... with UL spec number. Some are old, some new. It all seems to be holding up fine. Most of the rain hubs I've used over the years are diecast pot metal (a catch-all term for cheap zinc diecasting alloys) and they all seem to be made by just one or two places that supply them to Square D, G.E., etc. Again, they seem to work fine. PVC conduit fittings are likely Chinese-made... ugh... but then again I've used a lot of them over the years that I just get at Home Depot and never had a problem. If there was an electrical supply house close that had USA-made fittings, I would go there on general principle.

BTW, some of the disconnect boxes have a plastic or metal cover plate on top. It's covering the hole for the rain hub, and usually has the four small holes for the mounting screws already. Take some measurements of this pattern before buying the hub... there are a few different hole patterns available.

Ok thanks so far any one have any pictures?

Sorry I do not have photos. In my current home, I fed the box from below, so it's different - no rain hub, just the adapter nutted in as Roger mentioned.

I just took a look at a few risers coming up out of the ground. Some are Carlon, some are JM... sunlight resistant... with UL spec number. Some are old, some new. It all seems to be holding up fine. Most of the rain hubs I've used over the years are diecast pot metal (a catch-all term for cheap zinc diecasting alloys) and they all seem to be made by just one or two places that supply them to Square D, G.E., etc. Again, they seem to work fine. PVC conduit fittings are likely Chinese-made... ugh... but then again I've used a lot of them over the years that I just get at Home Depot and never had a problem. If there was an electrical supply house close that had USA-made fittings, I would go there on general principle.

OK thanks all you comments are thankfull. If any one has any pics pleas let me know.

I found an adapter at Home Depot that was flat and bolted to the top of my gfci box on one side and then tapered to a round female threaded coupler on the other side. I then attached a male threaded conduit fitting with teflon tape to the GFCI box adapter.....and ran my pvc conduit from there.

This adapter plate from HD attaches with four bolts. Does your GFCI box have a four bolt-hole patter on the top? They will be around the same area as the knock outs.

I have a pic, but I'm not sure how to post them here. PM me your email address and I'll send to you.

Good luck