Filter Size & Type

westc

I've decided to replace my pool filter. Currently is a sand filter. How do i know what size I need? Is DE or Sand better? I live in a very sandy area with fine sand. Pool is approx. 25,000 gallons. It has to be a side mount valve; I don't have much clearance over the top. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

What filter do you currently have?

Filters are rated by the size of particle they remove from the water. DE filters have the best filtration on first pass, removes the smallest particle, including algae spores. Cartridge filters are medium and sand filters allow the largest particle to pass. If you've been happy with your sand filter, you can probably stay with a similar size. Since you live in a desert area, staying with a Sand filter may be your best choice, considering quality of filtration, ease of maintenance, backwashing, etc. If you have trouble with water clarity, Cartridge or DE filters will improve that & you will use fewer products like clarifiers, floc, etc., although your sandy environment may increase the maintenance needed on your filter. Proper water chemistry will aid your filter in keeping the pool clear. Since you have an issue with the height of the filter tank, you may want to stay with the same thing you have. Generally, DE and Cartridge filters are taller than sand filters, unless you get a small one, which may not be a good idea with a 25k pool.

I currently have a Pac-Fab Superflow PF-50 sand filter. Its filter area is 2.7 Sq ft. I did read on Troublefreepool that I could add small amounts of DE to my sand filter to help improve the filtering. I think my biggest problem now is that my filter may be undersized so it takes a long time to filter all the particulates out.

That seems small for a 25k pool. I'd probably recommend a larger filter, but with your space constraints, I don't know if you can or not. Is there no way to make more space available, or perhaps move the filter to an area that has more space?