Hayward H400 Low Nox If Code

Hi everyone, I have a Hayward H400 IDPL2 heater - it is propane and low nox. This is my 3rd season with it. When we started our pool we noticed that the heater will cycle on, try 3 times, and then give a IF (ignition failure) code. I have checked all the wiring, we DO smell gas when it goes to fire, and it will cycle and then we hear a "click" but we don't get the "woompf" when the heater should ignite. i tried twice a day for a week, thinking their might me air in the gas line. Nothing. My pool company is telling me it is probably a gas valve (cheapest I found was $116 they are at 350!) or a Control module (about $300 I didn't even ask their price!). It has not been cleaned since we bought it. There are a few spiders and webs in there. Also, we live in SE PA and had A TON of snow this winter...don't know if that plays into it at all!) Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! I would love to get it running soon - and I am willing to buy the parts online if you guys tell me I can put them in myself!

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Kristen

More they likely the spider webs are clogging one or more of the gas orifices. At least the one for the burner the hot surface ignitor sits over. Bend a paperclip open making it look like the letter J and use that to clean out the orifices(with the heater off). They are the five little nipples on the gas rail in front of the burner tubes.

That's the problem or the the hot surface ignitor is bad. It's located over the center burner. Ether way the flame sensor is not sensing a flame and it's locking out giving the IF code.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi guys, Kristen again, last year I did the paper clip trick and it worked like a champ, but no luck this year. I tried the paperclip, and a pipe cleaner. No luck. Any other suggestions out there? It does cycle on, and I hear the click right before ignition - but no ignition. Wondering if there is anything else to clean out? Or do I need parts? And if I do need parts = where do I start?? Thanks!!!

The problem is probably the spiders again. You should have taken the gas orifice out completely and cleared the web out. Use a 7/16" wrench and take them off to clear them. Poking with a paper clip will only make a small hole and knock debris into the gas manifold, which will eventually make it's way back to clog up again. Be careful not to cross-thread the orifices when you put them back in. Before you do anything make sure your propane tank is full or at least 30-40%.

Thanks - I will try that when the rain stops! I also ordered an ignitor for it - so I might try the ignitor before I take everything apart. Is there any way to keep the spiders out of there? Can you remove it and store it when not in use or is that not a good idea??

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks - I will try that when the rain stops! I also ordered an ignitor for it - so I might try the ignitor before I take everything apart. Is there any way to keep the spiders out of there? Can you remove it and store it when not in use or is that not a good idea??

I've got the same problem.. A friend told me to put a small cup of mothballs in the cabinet to keep the spiders away. I cleaned all the orifices on the manifold and the burner tubes. No luck! Unit cycles and calls for gas and gas goes on. I see the ignitor glow. Whats next?