Advice On Adding Controller

AlanF

Hi - I am wondering what sort of controller I should look at adding to my pool system. Last year I didn't have the variable speed pump, so just turned the pool heater on in May and turned it off in October. I ran the filter for about 5 hours, set the heater thermostat to 85 and forgot about it. Now with the added variable pump I have a lot more opportunity to save some $$$ on gas, but think I need to have something to control the heater if I want to get the most energy savings.

Here's the equipment list and what I would like to do.....

Pool Pump & Controller

- Hayward Tristar Energy Solution Variable Speed Pump Control

- Hayward SP322063EEV 2.7 THP 3 Phase pump

Pool Heater

- Sta Rite Max E Therm SR400NA

Filter

- Pentair Clean & Clear Plus CCP420

Pool Sweep

- Polaris 380

Pool Sweep Booster Pump

- Polaris PB4 3/4 HP

Pool Sweep Timer

- Standard 24 hour dial

Pool Details

- 27,000 Gallons, 40' x 15' x 3-8', Gunite in-ground rectangular(ish) pool, no spa, no cover, Northern California

Requirements

- pool heated May thru October

- pool temp 85 degrees Fri/Sat/Sun afternoons

- pool temp 75 Mon/Tue/Wed/Thu (this is to avoid wasting $$$ heating a pool that's not being used in the week)

- ability to easily (i.e without complex reprogramming) get pool to 85 on Mon/Tue/Wed/Thu with one-day's notice

- doing this remotely would be a nice feature, but not mandatory

- pool sweep to run in the morning

- no significant pump noise during afternoon (i.e. pump on low setting only)

- easy winter setting (i.e. filter, sweep but no heat - Nov thru April)

thanks, Alan

Alan, check the model number on the outside of the VSP pump control box. If it has the letters "AQL" at the end of the model number, then your VSP will interface directly with a Goldline ProLogic control system. This will allow you to program all your speeds from the control system, rather than having to do it from the VSP control box. If it does NOT have that suffix, you can get a different board to allow it to interface. Originally Hayward sold both units, but this year they are only selling the AQL unit, as it will work as a stand alone model as well. No need for both skus.

Alan, check the model number on the outside of the VSP pump control box. If it has the letters "AQL" at the end of the model number, then your VSP will interface directly with a Goldline ProLogic control system. This will allow you to program all your speeds from the control system, rather than having to do it from the VSP control box. If it does NOT have that suffix, you can get a different board to allow it to interface. Originally Hayward sold both units, but this year they are only selling the AQL unit, as it will work as a stand alone model as well. No need for both skus.

Thanks! yes, it does have the AQL.... I'll look at the goldine prologic stuff. thanks, Alan

Not trying to sell you Pentair, but if you decide to get a Pentair/Sta-rite variable speed pump, you can extend the warranty on all three products to three years (filter, heater, and pump). If your pool store doesn't know about this, call Pentair for details.

Note: again, no pressure to buy Pentair, but you may want to hurry and decide, I think this program is going to end soon.

given that i only have a pool it looks like i can get by with the base Goldline controller, the Pro Logic PL_P_4. I only need to control the pool pump, the booster pump, the heater and the pool light (which i could live without if that meant needing to go to the more expensive controller).

Seems like the only reason to go with the next model up (PL_PS_4) is that it allows me to use the wireless in house remote, whereas the P4 only supports the wired in-house remote.

You might want to doublecheck and make sure the P-4 has software for controlling the VSP. The lower end (cheaper) controllers don't come with all the same features as the higher end products. A quick call to Goldline Tech support can answer that question (908)355-7995. The P-4 will allow you to add a wireless remote (AQL2-SS-RF & AQL2-BASE-RF). There is also a new model I just saw called OnCommand, which is very similar to the P-4, but gives you more options on remotes. It's exactly the same as the P-4, just different look to control box. Still recommend making sure it will control your VSP.

You might want to doublecheck and make sure the P-4 has software for controlling the VSP. The lower end (cheaper) controllers don't come with all the same features as the higher end products. A quick call to Goldline Tech support can answer that question (908)355-7995. The P-4 will allow you to add a wireless remote (AQL2-SS-RF & AQL2-BASE-RF). There is also a new model I just saw called OnCommand, which is very similar to the P-4, but gives you more options on remotes. It's exactly the same as the P-4, just different look to control box. Still recommend making sure it will control your VSP.

thanks. i was just looking at the OnCommand controller on the hayward website. it looks like the one I need as I already have a subpanel installed. from the installation/owner manual it says it will handle the VSP fine. I'll call tech support just to double check - thanks, for the number!