Solana Tx Not Working

Hi! I'm a newbie to the hot tub community. We purchased a home last fall in TN that had a Solana TX hot tub. The previous owner said it hadn't been used in about 2 years (it was for her husband, who was disabled, and could no longer easily get in and out, so they just stopped using it). I've filled it with water, but after 2 days, had no heat. When I push the jets button, it makes a buzzing sound but the jets don't come on. Three little dots appear on the panel. I know it's getting power and the reset button has been pushed. Still no change. I've cleaned the filter, replaced it. No change. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Sounds like the pump is frozen based on your description of the buzzing sound, especially if it sat empty for a couple years. I would recommend getting a service tech out to diagnose and repair.

The jet pump could either be frozen, or could be air-locked (i.e. there's no water in it). The simple answer would be to contact your local Hot Spring dealer for support. They can come out and bleed air out of the pump so it fills with water, and thereby get you running.

Be it frozen, air locked, or in disrepair, the pump not running is a problem. :) How is the weather? If it's been sunny and warm for a long period you can rule out the pump being frozen.

I think he means frozen in place, not cold frozen. If the pump hasn't been used in a couple of years rotating parts can seize up. Sometimes, just turning the fan end of the motor by hand can get a stuck pump going again.

Dave

A little addition to what Dave said - you can access the shaft of the pump between the motor end and the wet end - grab it with pliers and try to turn it (do this with the spa unplugged) then plug it in and see what happens.

A little addition to what Dave said - you can access the shaft of the pump between the motor end and the wet end - grab it with pliers and try to turn it (do this with the spa unplugged) then plug it in and see what happens.

Thanks for all the replies. I will take a look at this today and see if it does the trick. Out of curiosity, do any of the motor parts require oiling?

Okay, I've taken a look- even checked the fittings on everything and while dusty, nothing was corroded or damaged. The electric box is in the front, right-ish side, with a white pipe on the left that goes back to a black box behind it. The motor (I think) is behind the blue electric box. Where exactly is the pump shaft? Sorry for asking such a question, but this is a new area for me, lol- and the local spa place apparently charges $150 just to come out ($50 house call fee and $100 for the first hour, min. charge is for one hour- plus repair costs), so if it's something I can do myself, I'm all for it (plus, my husband is in Afgh. and I'd love to surprise him when he comes home on leave!). Thanks again for all the assistance, folks! :)

The jet pump is probably behind the blue box (the control box). It is about 2 feet long and about 8-10 inches in diameter. You will see the end that the hoses connect to and then the other end is the motor. Between the 2 you can see the shaft. The pump definitely looks like it has 2 halves. Grab the shaft with a pair of pliers and see if you can turn it.

Dave's way will work also but you will have to remove the pump.

The jet pump is probably behind the blue box (the control box). It is about 2 feet long and about 8-10 inches in diameter. You will see the end that the hoses connect to and then the other end is the motor. Between the 2 you can see the shaft. The pump definitely looks like it has 2 halves. Grab the shaft with a pair of pliers and see if you can turn it.

Dave's way will work also but you will have to remove the pump.

Good news is I think I found the pump shaft...bad news is it looks rusted. Badly. I have a handyman coming next week to take a look. :( Thanks for all the help- it's much appreciated!