Protecting Spa Cover From The Sun

kenc

I live in Arizona. The Sun will zap years of life out of a new spa cover :(

I can obviously

• put up a gazeboo
  • use a Spa umbrella

But they will both cost more then a new cover and when the monsoons come I will have to deal with the High winds.

Is there any kind of "treatment" to protect the vinyl ?

Can I buy a cover for the cover that takes the brunt of the UV beating ?

Would be especially interested in hearing from any AZ or NV owners ..

thanks

Ken

I live in Arizona. The Sun will zap years of life out of a new spa cover :(

I can obviously

• put up a gazeboo
  • use a Spa umbrella

But they will both cost more then a new cover and when the monsoons come I will have to deal with the High winds.

Is there any kind of "treatment" to protect the vinyl ?

Can I buy a cover for the cover that takes the brunt of the UV beating ?

Would be especially interested in hearing from any AZ or NV owners ..

thanks

Ken

There is a product called 303 Protectant that is pretty much held in high regards in all fields when you need to protect things from UV damage. It protects a lot of materials too numerous to mention. Check out the website here

Do a search for whats called a spa cap. Its a tarp material with an elastic bottom that goes over top. They come 7'/8' & either 12" or 38"

went to SpaCap.com and this is a REPLACEMENT spa cover that costs as much as a foam one.... and has had bad reviews

went to amazon.com and under SPA COVER CAP found what you described for $80

Still would like to hear from fellow AZ owners ....

covercap.jpg

Spa Cover Cap

Should be under $80

There's 2 different "styles" on the market. One is 3mil thick with 1/4" wide elestic, made in China. The other is 6mil thick with 1" elastic.

Constructed of heavy-duty reinforced woven polyethylene, the rugged Spa Cover Cap is designed to protect your hot tub and spa cover from harsh weather, dirt and debris. The Spa Cover Cap is extremely strong, completely waterproof and designed to work in all climates. Resistant to damage from the suns UV rays, the Spa Cover Cap protects your expensive insulating cover from tree sap, ice, snow, harsh rain and intense sun.. The Spa Cover Cap is also shrink proof, mildew proof, rot resistant and tear resistant. The thread used in it's s construction is the same as in our high quality insulating covers, a 93 pound, UV resistant, bonded, Dacron Polyester thread. The Spa Cover Cap is available in two standard sizes with a 12" elastic hemed skirt. The elastic hem makes it a breeze to put on and remove The Spa Cover Cap.

What if his spa cover cap gets too much sun? Is there a cover for the cover cap, uh, for the spa cover? I wouldn't think the actual spa cover would last more than 10 years anyway -- unless he gets other-worldly kryptonite showers pounding it every night or sumptin' this all seems really absurd.

OP: Why don't you just buy a can of Armoral Protectant from Walmart for $6 and use it every few months? It should prevent cracking and heavy weathering but no -- it won't protect disintegration, evidently you have to get a spa cover cover to cover that.... :wacko:

That was my opinion as well...if you have a cover to protect the cover, don't you then need a cover to protect the cover protecting the cover? And then, don't you need. oh forget it :-)

The Cover Cap though is pretty popular and most people seem to really like it. And, no way will a cover last 10 years in the Arizona sun. Mine just made 9 years in full California sun.

And and, even the makers of Armoral have said they can't recommend it for spa covers as they haven't test how it will effect the vinyl used (different than automotive vinyl)...most spa cover manufacturer have seen the effects though, hence many spa cover warranties specifically state the use of it will void the cover's warranty

I know what you're saying Dr. Spa. My post was slightly tongue in cheek of course. I'd just hate people to lose sight of the fact that the number one goal is to protect and maintain your hot tub, and that the spa cover is inherently expendable as that is it's only and sole purpose in life. We get too many snake-oil salesmen telling us we "need" $35 surge protectors, revolving tie racks, and you know - fur covered sinks (haha) -- all those nice but frivolous things you find in in-flight "air-mall" magazines. In this case I can't help but believe a spa cover cap falls somewhere in that realm for the majority of spa owners. Popular products don't always equate to those which are necessary and of good value, and some people tend to suspend common sense and just beg to be taken (or, alternatively, money is of little concern to them). I'm wholly against that so that's why I speak up when I believe somebody's pissing on my boots and calling it a rainstorm.

By the way, last Fall I DID purchase a spa cover from YOU/RH Tubs, and while I'm remiss in not supplying a full review of the product and entire buying process, I WILL say that it absolutely fit like a glove, is stunningly beautiful, well made and engineered, and was undeniably worth every penny its reasonable cost required. And I ain't puttin' nothin' ELSE on top of it (except one of my cats likes to sleep on it in the sun - I have no control over that)! ;)

I use 303 Protectant and have found it to work very well. I try to use it every month but realistically it probably really gets applied every other month. In AZ you might want to hold a monthly schedule or even more frequently.

Armor All is not the same, or even close in this application. I've found the 303 to be much better for protection of the vinyl in the sun. I'm in CA... we get sun but nothing like AZ. Still, I'd give the 303 a try.

What if his spa cover cap gets too much sun? Is there a cover for the cover cap, uh, for the spa cover? I wouldn't think the actual spa cover would last more than 10 years anyway -- unless he gets other-worldly kryptonite showers pounding it every night or sumptin' this all seems really absurd.

OP: Why don't you just buy a can of Armoral Protectant from Walmart for $6 and use it every few months? It should prevent cracking and heavy weathering but no -- it won't protect disintegration, evidently you have to get a spa cover cover to cover that.... :wacko:

Its OBVIOUS that you have never spent a summer in the ARIZONA sun :)

for Example: have some Vinyl lounge chairs by the pool - after 2 summers -- fried - off to the dumpster....

after buying new chairs and using a canvas cover on them - chairs are fine --- cover is a bit trashed :)

My guess is If I just use a protectant it will add a year a to to the life of the vinyl...

So my thinking was spend the $80 and in 5 years by another $80 cover cap INSTEAD of another $400 cover....

Its OBVIOUS that you have never spent a summer in the ARIZONA sun :)

True -- but I DID have a nice week at the Giants Spring Training several years back! :D

Otherwise anybody actually contemplating a spa cap cover; all I can say (as if I haven't said enough already) is:

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

- George Santayana

plastic-sofa-cover.png

I wouldn't recommend Armor All. It is not recommend by most manufacturers of vinyl products. Armor All is a petroleum/silicone base which can actually break down vinyl. 303 Protectant is more expensive but IMO and a lot of others more educated on this subject than myself think it's worth it.

Actually for many people the Cover Cap IS of value. People with snow for one. It's much easier to remove the snow by pulling off the Cover Cap rather than risk damaging the cover with a shovel. Also in the case of the OP. Lets take best case scenario...

My personal cover I just replaced after nine years. Probably could have gotten a couple more years out of it, but I repainted the house and wanted a new one to match the trim. Nine years. In Arizona's intense sun I might have gotten 4 or 5...lets average it to 4-1/2 years. If you go through 2 Cover Caps at a cost of $70 each, and double the lift of the spa cover, you have a reasonable savings.

2 covers at $350 = $700 over 9 years

1 cover at $350 + 2 Cover Caps at $70 = $490 over 9 years