Costco Platinum elite spa

Guest Shelly Solum

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Costco, the manufacturer and dealer are the only ones who make out on this in the short run.

I think you can add the consumer in on that list too. This is a welcome departure from some of the lesser offerings you get on the net where the quality is questionable and the warranty is best used as a napkin.

As far as the salesperson, I can understand your feelings though at this point I'm not so sure how much of a impact it'll have on the person on the dealer floor. How many of the customers who end up buying the Costco/HS spa would have bought a HS spa from the dealer? I imagine they're mainly looking for the people who never seriously consider the dealer due to pricing and perception that the deal is elsewhere (those who look to buy from the mass merchant or on the internet in the first place because that's their MO).

I think you can add the consumer in on that list too. This is a welcome departure from some of the lesser offerings you get on the net where the quality is questionable and the warranty is best used as a napkin.

As far as the salesperson, I can understand your feelings though at this point I'm not so sure how much of a impact it'll have on the person on the dealer floor. How many of the customers who end up buying the Costco/HS spa would have bought a HS spa from the dealer? I imagine they're mainly looking for the people who never seriously consider the dealer due to pricing and perception that the deal is elsewhere (those who look to buy from the mass merchant or on the internet in the first place because that's their MO).

We have a winner!!. Give that man a cigar. :D

NightRyder

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I found this thread doing a search on the Elite Platinum II spa offered by costco. I just bought one and am in the process of pouring my slab in the backyard to set it up.

There have been quite a few comments made on the quality of this spa and I thought I would offer my experiences to possibly shed some light. I live in Kona, Hawaii. Our choices here are somewhat limited and freight tends to make things cost quite a bit more than you folks might pay on the mainland. I gladly paid $4500 for my spa. I have been shopping for quite some time visiting all of the spa dealers here in town. The other two brands I liked that are available here are the Hot Springs spa and the Beachcomber. Virtually all of the other brands offered in various locations look like cheap junk to me so I focused on these two brands. The models that would have similar features and whatnot were all from $8k up to $11k. For the record, the $8k model had much fewer features than the Platinum II spa.

One of my good friends just bought a top of the line Hot Springs spa for around $11k. I've been in it several times and really like it. Another friend bought the Costco spa and I've been in it a few times and I really liked it. I honestly cannot justify spending $11k on a tub vs. $4.5k due to "insulation" or "dealer support". Both dealers have lackluster reputations in support from various sources and I'm in the tropics so worrying about insulation is not a huge concern. Both dealers really trashed the Platinum II spa with comments about quality and insulation.

My only issue with this purchase is that had I had a choice, I would have picked different colors/finishes. The costco spa only comes in one color combo. Considering my options, I still went with the Platinum II.

Now regarding the DIY aspect of buying a costco spa. I am a bonified DIY'er with just about everything. I bought this spa fully knowing what a pain in the rear it would be to haul home on my trailer and how I'm going to have to bribe friends with beer to help me get it out of my trailer and onto my slab once it's done. I have been scheming on how to improve the insulation once I get it all set up. I set up my own electrical (rough) and my electrician friend will help me with the final hookup (hopefully synchronized with the lowering of the tub out of the trailer beer party).

I agree that this spa would not be appropriate for someone with no skills to do a lot of this extra stuff. The dealers here in town offer delivery and set up for around $500. But for a guy like me, there really was no choice. My friend's $11k Hotsprings spa is nearly 2-1/2 times the cost of mine and I swear I enjoyed being in this very same tub just as much as being in his. Was the quality that much better? I was unable to really notice anything substantial. I've removed three of the panels on my tub out of sheer curiosity and am quite impressed with the way it was assembled. I've been reading crap on websites for days about why this spa is better than that one, etc... and I believe my spa is actually quite nice.

My question to you naysayers is what exactly about this tub is sub-par or sub-standard? What exactly about it is "low quality"? I fail to see much of a difference in any way shape or form.

Also, NightRyder? I would be very interested in hearing about your custom insulation work you did on yours.

Sorry, forgot to add about return policy, etc...

One of my friends is a manager at our local Costco and I interrogated him before buying this thing. He told me that in the thirteen years he has been at that costco, there have been a total of 2 spa returns. And yes, they were both "no questions asked" returns.

I wonder about those as well. According to him, there are many people who return Xmas trees (fake) to costco the day after Xmas and those that return big screen tv's the day after the superbowl. Real class, eh?

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I found this thread doing a search on the Elite Platinum II spa offered by costco. I just bought one and am in the process of pouring my slab in the backyard to set it up.

There have been quite a few comments made on the quality of this spa and I thought I would offer my experiences to possibly shed some light. I live in Kona, Hawaii. Our choices here are somewhat limited and freight tends to make things cost quite a bit more than you folks might pay on the mainland. I gladly paid $4500 for my spa. I have been shopping for quite some time visiting all of the spa dealers here in town. The other two brands I liked that are available here are the Hot Springs spa and the Beachcomber. Virtually all of the other brands offered in various locations look like cheap junk to me so I focused on these two brands. The models that would have similar features and whatnot were all from $8k up to $11k. For the record, the $8k model had much fewer features than the Platinum II spa.

One of my good friends just bought a top of the line Hot Springs spa for around $11k. I've been in it several times and really like it. Another friend bought the Costco spa and I've been in it a few times and I really liked it. I honestly cannot justify spending $11k on a tub vs. $4.5k due to "insulation" or "dealer support". Both dealers have lackluster reputations in support from various sources and I'm in the tropics so worrying about insulation is not a huge concern. Both dealers really trashed the Platinum II spa with comments about quality and insulation.

My only issue with this purchase is that had I had a choice, I would have picked different colors/finishes. The costco spa only comes in one color combo. Considering my options, I still went with the Platinum II.

Now regarding the DIY aspect of buying a costco spa. I am a bonified DIY'er with just about everything. I bought this spa fully knowing what a pain in the rear it would be to haul home on my trailer and how I'm going to have to bribe friends with beer to help me get it out of my trailer and onto my slab once it's done. I have been scheming on how to improve the insulation once I get it all set up. I set up my own electrical (rough) and my electrician friend will help me with the final hookup (hopefully synchronized with the lowering of the tub out of the trailer beer party).

I agree that this spa would not be appropriate for someone with no skills to do a lot of this extra stuff. The dealers here in town offer delivery and set up for around $500. But for a guy like me, there really was no choice. My friend's $11k Hotsprings spa is nearly 2-1/2 times the cost of mine and I swear I enjoyed being in this very same tub just as much as being in his. Was the quality that much better? I was unable to really notice anything substantial. I've removed three of the panels on my tub out of sheer curiosity and am quite impressed with the way it was assembled. I've been reading crap on websites for days about why this spa is better than that one, etc... and I believe my spa is actually quite nice.

My question to you naysayers is what exactly about this tub is sub-par or sub-standard? What exactly about it is "low quality"? I fail to see much of a difference in any way shape or form.

Also, NightRyder? I would be very interested in hearing about your custom insulation work you did on yours.

Sorry, forgot to add about return policy, etc...

One of my friends is a manager at our local Costco and I interrogated him before buying this thing. He told me that in the thirteen years he has been at that costco, there have been a total of 2 spa returns. And yes, they were both "no questions asked" returns.

I wonder about those as well. According to him, there are many people who return Xmas trees (fake) to costco the day after Xmas and those that return big screen tv's the day after the superbowl. Real class, eh?

The Elite is an great brand as it is made by MaaX the same company that makes Coleman. If you ever need parts just find a local Elite or Coleman dealer. Good job

NightRyder - any info on your custom insulation on your Elite Platinum? I'd like to hear what you did and if you would've done it differently at all after going through the process.

Aloha,

Stevo

Sharing is caring. Do you plan on returning it the day before the warranty ends. :)

Why would I "plan" on a scheduled return date? Let me guess... you're a spa dealer.

Because than you can buy a tub from a "real" service dealer so you wouldn't have to lose sleep about anything going wrong with the tub and not having "service". However it would be cool to rent the tub for a year for just the cost of hauling back to the store.

NightRyder - any info on your custom insulation on your Elite Platinum? I'd like to hear what you did and if you would've done it differently at all after going through the process.

Aloha,

Stevo

Sorry for the delay Stevo, been on vacation. :D

Insulation:

I added radient barrier foam insulation to the inside of the cabinet secured with construction adhesive.

Between the cabinet and the shell I added 6" of plastic wrapped fiberglass (John Mansville - Comfort Therm) secured using velcro for easy removal. I am very happy with this setup. The cost to run my spa is comparable to my neighbor's full foamed Marquis and I still have easy accessabilty if needed. Total material cost was about $125.

NightRyder

Thanks for the info, NightRyder. I was planning on augmenting the insulation all along, I just wasn't sure how I was going to do it. I'll check out comparable materials available here to do something similar.

Thanks again.

Well the Elite Platimum II spa I bought at Costco is up and running. It took about 4 hours to heat all the way up - way less than I expected. The family is quite pleased with it so far as am I. Everything works perfectly.

The only issue is that once I laid it over onto the cement slab and off of it's pallet, I noticed a couple of minor cracks in the two front corners of the fake wood siding. You would think that they would try to protect it a little more than a piece of cardboard and plastic between a 900# spa and a wooden pallet. I'm going to contact the manufacturer to get some replacement panels for those corners. Maybe having to ship those all the way to Hawaii will make them rethink their packaging. And then again, maybe not.

Well the Elite Platimum II spa I bought at Costco is up and running. It took about 4 hours to heat all the way up - way less than I expected. The family is quite pleased with it so far as am I. Everything works perfectly.

The only issue is that once I laid it over onto the cement slab and off of it's pallet, I noticed a couple of minor cracks in the two front corners of the fake wood siding. You would think that they would try to protect it a little more than a piece of cardboard and plastic between a 900# spa and a wooden pallet. I'm going to contact the manufacturer to get some replacement panels for those corners. Maybe having to ship those all the way to Hawaii will make them rethink their packaging. And then again, maybe not.

Congrats on your spa. I see you're already finding how much fun it can add to the family.

Regarding your couple issues:

1) Let us know what kind of luck you have getting those corners replaced (and at who's cost).

2) Added packaging means added cost. I doubt they'll be adding to their packaging for that spa line. In theory they would if they were finding that they were incurring added warranty costs due to teh lack of padding but I'm not sure they're going to pony up for the damage so ...

Congrats on your spa. I see you're already finding how much fun it can add to the family.

Regarding your couple issues:

1) Let us know what kind of luck you have getting those corners replaced (and at who's cost).

2) Added packaging means added cost. I doubt they'll be adding to their packaging for that spa line. In theory they would if they were finding that they were incurring added warranty costs due to teh lack of padding but I'm not sure they're going to pony up for the damage so ...

Of course they will replace them. I cracked mine while setting it up, and not only did they send me the one I needed, they sent two others in addition. No cost to me whatsoever. And contrary to nay sayers, they did it quickly.

I also recently purchased the Elite Platinum Spa II from Costco. Like those who purchased one, my family and I are very happy with it. The jets are very powerful and the stereo system is adequate for its purpose.

Just hooked up an LCD screen to it via the aux RCA jacks and now I am able to watch TV and listen to it via the spa speakers.

.....but.......

One of the jets did pop off when I turned the pump on. Contacted Hydrospa about two weeks ago and received a phone call from one of the customer reps a week later. Rep was very helpful. Rep sent out the whole jet housing unit in case I needed to replace the whole thing. The jet snapped on and now works fine.

Of course, someone will respond and say how I had to go through the trouble of contacting someone and having to wait for the part. Well saving around $4000 , I can wait a few days.

Like others, I had 6 of my friends unload and install the spa. Pssst,, its not that hard. But do make sure you get a qaulified electrician.

Remember the Spa is made by Hydrospa been around since 1975. I'm sure they didn't survive this long by stiffing everyone in warranty repairs. Plus they have one of the best or equal warranties compared to others. Heres a link (http://www.poolandspa.com/page958.htm) that compares numerous spas including hydrospa. Either way, if you are a Costco member and buy the Spa and don't like it after a year or so...you do have the option of taking it back NO QUESTIONS ASK even without a receipt!

Ya Ya Ya I know , your going to say I'm a free loader etc etc etc.....One things for sure if you buy one at a dealer bet you can't take it back if it turns out to be a nightmare.

Let the Costco haters posts begin!

I also recently purchased the Elite Platinum Spa II from Costco. Like those who purchased one, my family and I are very happy with it. The jets are very powerful and the stereo system is adequate for its purpose.

Just hooked up an LCD screen to it via the aux RCA jacks and now I am able to watch TV and listen to it via the spa speakers.

.....but.......

One of the jets did pop off when I turned the pump on. Contacted Hydrospa about two weeks ago and received a phone call from one of the customer reps a week later. Rep was very helpful. Rep sent out the whole jet housing unit in case I needed to replace the whole thing. The jet snapped on and now works fine.

Of course, someone will respond and say how I had to go through the trouble of contacting someone and having to wait for the part. Well saving around $4000 , I can wait a few days.

Like others, I had 6 of my friends unload and install the spa. Pssst,, its not that hard. But do make sure you get a qaulified electrician.

Remember the Spa is made by Hydrospa been around since 1975. I'm sure they didn't survive this long by stiffing everyone in warranty repairs. Plus they have one of the best or equal warranties compared to others. Heres a link (http://www.poolandspa.com/page958.htm) that compares numerous spas including hydrospa. Either way, if you are a Costco member and buy the Spa and don't like it after a year or so...you do have the option of taking it back NO QUESTIONS ASK even without a receipt!

Ya Ya Ya I know , your going to say I'm a free loader etc etc etc.....One things for sure if you buy one at a dealer bet you can't take it back if it turns out to be a nightmare.

Let the Costco haters posts begin!

Did the jet break or just come off? Mine come off easily so I can move them around the tub, but I haven't had one actually break.

There are plenty of industry people on here that lothe and fear Costco. You will here from them I am sure.

Did the jet break or just come off? Mine come off easily so I can move them around the tub, but I haven't had one actually break.

There are plenty of industry people on here that lothe and fear Costco. You will here from them I am sure.

The jet just popped off. Didn't know the jets were interchangable...will have to experiment a little.

VIVA ELITE PLATINUM SPAS....