Costco Platinum elite spa

Guest Shelly Solum

We have some friends that the husband works for Costco corporate and we were talking about the return policy the other day (unrelated to spas), and he stated that a person can return ANTHING for ANY REASON and they will take it back. They just send it back to the manufacturer for reimursement. He said its an agreement that is made with all companies who sell at Costco. They used to sell scooters and I was told people would go out, ride them and crash them then return them for full refund. He said there are people who will return their computers every year then buy a new one, so basically they get the latest greatest.. About 8 years ago I returned a TV-VCR combo 1.5 yrs after I bought it because the VHS stopped working and got my full purchase price.

Anyway..... If you buy a spa from a dealer you can't take it back no matter how bad it is. At least from Costco you have that option, but you don't get the dealer support so its a trade-off, but can be worth thousands in savings...

FWIW.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Lifetime" means 7 years in Warranty land doesn't it? Or who/what lifetime is it? There are usually costs associated with the return of a spa. The disconnection of the electrical source, the transportation. Are these covered by the return policy also?

No, but the spa starts out being less than half price, so a few associated cost would be reasonable to expected for such a good return policy. What I see here

is fear from the dealers. Trash talk all you want, but people who have dealt with Costco know that they have the best return policy in the business and no hot tub dealer can even come close to promising customers what Costco does.

I used to own a business that was put out of business by the mass merchants, and believe me, I know what fear is as far is that is concerned, but eventually they won out, as they almost always do.

No, but the spa starts out being less than half price, so a few associated cost would be reasonable to expected for such a good return policy.

Less than half the cost of what? My Chevy Cavalier is less than half the cost of my neighbor's Honda Accord. I am very happy with it for the same reason you're happy with your spa but I don't try to convince peoeple my car was a better bargain that his car. Mine was a price point, bargain priced car, just like your spa. If my car and your spa hold up well then we'll be happy campers but they're not a premiujm car nor a premium spa so why the comparison to other people's choices? I'm not sure why the extreme need for justification; you don't have to justify your purcahse to anyone so why try to tell everyone yours is just as good. Yours gave you what YOU wanted at a lesser price. Good for you.

Well, we didn't go for the Costco tub but purchased a Hot Springs Vanguard. For the price the Costco spa still is a good deal, but since price was not really a major issue we spent the extra. If we were on a tighter budget we would have gone with the Costco unit, but since we have the cash (and it was my wife's choice) we went with the more expensive unit.

The word "MOST" would be the one that would concern me. I'm not sure they take back spas the way they take back a pair of pants just because you don't like the fit.

The only reason I used the term "MOST" is because non-defective computer software, CDs and DVDs are exceptions, the spa is not. If anyone is considering buying this spa and has any doubts, just ask the store manager, they will be happy to explain the policy.

For the record - There is no fine print in Costco's satisfaction guarantee.

NightRyder

Well, we didn't go for the Costco tub but purchased a Hot Springs Vanguard. For the price the Costco spa still is a good deal, but since price was not really a major issue we spent the extra. If we were on a tighter budget we would have gone with the Costco unit, but since we have the cash (and it was my wife's choice) we went with the more expensive unit.

Congrats on your purchase, I've read lot's of good things about Hot Springs. I hope you get many years of enjoyment from it.

Just curious...Are the Costco spas still in short supply? Last year they couldn't keep them in stock. Practically had to camp out to get one, first come, first serve. :) Mine was 1 in a shipment of 12 and they were all gone by noon the same day.

NightRyder

I certainly don't intend to trash talk any spa or company nor am I fearful of the Costco spas. I work at a spa retail showroom about 1/2 mile from a Costco store and talk about the differences all the time. We are still very much in business because we provide a great spa with even better support. No... I'm not trying to sell my brand either. I will only mention the brand when someone directly asks me. I shop at Costco all the time and they DO have a great return policy! I personally go there specifically for the good deals... as do most Costco shoppers.

I think the main point I have is to help folks empower themselves with the knowledge to understand EXACTLY what differences are. There has GOT to be some differences in the construction, and/or the company support you receive. It doesn't mean that it is a bad value or a bad spa for the money. But the key is... "for the money". It all comes down to that doesn't it? No-one wants to spend a lot of money for a spa. Most folks want the stuff and doo-dads for the cheapest price. That's why the Costco deal exists. Sometimes.. it is going to be the best decision for someone who is thinking of cost as the primary concern for purchasing a spa. There's nothing wrong with getting a great deal! Just make sure that you take your time to decide if the differences are worth it to you before getting the spa. The purchasers responsibilities are increased as delivery to the specific location is up to them and damage done would be their responsibility also. Sure... beer and pizza can get just about anything done with a bunch of friends, but what if? The return policy is awesome I'm sure, but for me personally, if something minor happens... I'd prefer to deal with a local service department and get it taken care of no charge instead of return the spa at my expense. I don't want to get two spas in ten years... I want ONE that will last and hold up for longer than that without being concerned about quality. I don't want to have ANY reponsibility. Just want to relax and know that there won't be a lot of things I have to take care of because of the quality of construction- someone ELSE can do that for me IF something happens.

When you look at the surface only and see the color and jets and stereo and lights... it's hard to see why ANYONE would choose any other spa at all. But why are other spa companies still going strong right down the road from this amazing Costco deal? There is definately a reason. You decide what's important to you and go for it! But please, with full knowledge. Try to think of not just the initial savings but the entire possible cost for however long you intend on having the spa. There is much more than jets and water and doo-dads... service, support, longevity, materials used in manufacturing (some can be harmful for our environment-this is VERY important to me), some companies actually use recycled materials to HELP CLEAN UP our environment, sanitizing options that make taking care of the water easier, water testing facilities if you need help, warranty claims and return policies.

In this post there are many pros and cons mentioned. Either way, you will spend a few thousand dollars (up front or in the long run)... isn't it worth it to take a few comparison notes and really think about where the cost difference will affect you? What are the most important things to you in a spa, and the company that offers it? The biggest concerns that people mention to me is (of course initial cost) but also: installation costs, concern over maintenance, ongoing chemical costs and operational costs, ongoing support for operational assistance, and a bussiness relationship built from the foundation of trust and knowledge. Some people take YEARS to do this research. I'm not saying it needs to be that long for everyone to make a decision... but purchasing something this important deserves some comparing. Both will give you a great deal on what you get "for the money".

Try to think of all of it so you can make the right decision for yourself and your needs.

We have observed for years that some people will buy from the big box stores and never from a specialty retailer. Thank goodness there are also 1000's of people who choose to buy from spa specialty retailers every year and would never buy a spa from the big box stores, whether Costco, Home Depot, etc.

We have observed for years that some people will buy from the big box stores and never from a specialty retailer. Thank goodness there are also 1000's of people who choose to buy from spa specialty retailers every year and would never buy a spa from the big box stores, whether Costco, Home Depot, etc.

I think it is good for the customer to learn with a beginners tub. After owning one from a big store than they can really understand and appreciate a specialty

• 4 weeks later...

A quick update on the Costco (Hydrospa Tub) I installed in January.

The shipping company found and delivered the cover lift, which they had forgotten to deliver. Installation was easy, and it performs well. The cover lock downs work well and maintain a good cold seal

The tub continues to perform faultlessly. Absolutely no problems at all. We love it. The four major groupings of jets are diverse and excellent, although we tend to most enjoy just soaking with no pumps or air. The foot jets are great as well and are greater in number than any of our friends tubs.

In below zero weather, say 20 degrees, the temperature wil drop about 2 degrees (104>102) over about 40 minutes with the pump on low.

The ozonator appears to work well. The chemistry is stable and I ony add/check chemicals about every 10 days. No scum or stain problems.

Based on actual year to year consumption. The tub appears to cost about $50 a month to operate in February. Even running the twice daily automatic cycles which I've let run.

The shipping company found and delivered the cover lift, which they had forgotten to deliver. Installation was easy, and it performs well. The cover lock downs work well and maintain a good cold seal

The tub continues to perform faultlessly. Absolutely no problems at all. We love it. The four major groupings of jets are diverse and excellent, although we tend to most enjoy just soaking with no pumps or air. The foot jets are great as well and are greater in number than any of our friends tubs.

In below zero weather, say 20 degrees, the temperature wil drop about 2 degrees (104>102) over about 40 minutes with the pump on low.

The ozonator appears to work well. The chemistry is stable and I ony add/check chemicals about every 10 days. No scum or stain problems.

Based on actual year to year consumption. The tub appears to cost about $50 a month to operate in February. Even running the twice daily automatic cycles which I've let run.

Bob,

Maybe I misunderstood your post. Did you purchase one of the 220 volt models? If so it should be able to maintain temperature even in cold weather conditions. Now if the wind is blowing that will have a huge effect on temperature.

Bob,

Maybe I misunderstood your post. Did you purchase one of the 220 volt models? If so it should be able to maintain temperature even in cold weather conditions. Now if the wind is blowing that will have a huge effect on temperature.

Bob,

It is a 220 volt. Temp drop isn't a problem when theweather is above freezing. The tub is 375 gallons. You're right about the wind impact. The more pumps you run and the blowers effect the drop as well. But overall it stays warm enough for a good soak under all conditions so far.

Bob,

I am happy that you enjoy your tub but I was just looking at the Costco Platinum Elite tub again today. There are a few things that I would like to get straigh for all of the poeple that are new to spas and read this. I think that you informaion is just a bit decieving for anyone new to spas. First off, the jets on the costoco spa are anything but diverse. Almost the entire tub is nothing but small jets. This is a big shortcut from any quality hot tub. There are so many short cuts Ont hat tub I dont even know where to begin. AS for the cost to heat the tub. 50 bucks a month. OMG, any quality hot tub would cost way less. For anyine new to spas. Shop around befopre buying oneThere are alot better tubs out there

Just my two cents, but I don’t think anything in Bob’s review of his hot tub is deceiving. It’s positive, constructive posts like his that I value most on this message board. I just don’t understand all the bashing of these low end tubs. It reminds me of people who own Harleys and look down on everyone else who drive anything but a Harley.

I am not in spa sales or service business but I think I have a unique perspective. While I was growing up my parents had several Hotsprings tubs, the house I lived in for 3 years had a Sundance tub, I have a Keys Backyard tub that I got from Sam’s and my best friend has the Costco tub, so in the past 2 weeks I’ve used the Hot Springs, Costco, and Keys spas.

I am not saying that I think everyone should get a low end spa but it does bother me to see people new to spas asking for advice and people telling them what ever you do don’t buy one of those spas. If money isn’t a factor I would say go with a higher end tub but if cost is a big concern the Keys/Costco tubs are a viable option. I am very happy with my tub. You just have to understand that the quality isn’t as high. On the Keys tub I have it looks like most of the components are quality components but you can see corners were cut to be able to sell them at such a low price. The insulation isn’t as good as my parents HotSpring and even thought their tub is bigger than mine it cost about $25-30 more a month in the winter to run.

One of the things that I see a lot on this board that I find deceiving is the example people use when someone says it cost them say $50 in Feb to run the tub and I see examples of $50 X 12 months = $600 a year to heat . It may cost $50 to heat in Dec-Feb in cold weather climates but it cost a lot less the other 9 months, especially in the summer.

I am not saying that I think everyone should get a low end spa but it does bother me to see people new to spas asking for advice and people telling them what ever you do don’t buy one of those spas. If money isn’t a factor I would say go with a higher end tub but if cost is a big concern the Keys/Costco tubs are a viable option. I am very happy with my tub. You just have to understand that the quality isn’t as high. On the Keys tub I have it looks like most of the components are quality components but you can see corners were cut to be able to sell them at such a low price. The insulation isn’t as good as my parents HotSpring and even thought their tub is bigger than mine it cost about $25-30 more a month in the winter to run.

We're not saying "what ever you do don’t buy one of those spas". We're saying almost exactly what you went on to say. The difference is you are aware that the quality isn't as high and the insulation often isn't that good not to mention the comparison between getting warranty service from a dealer versus having an issue with the big box spa. The difference is you are aware of that while some aren't and others blindly say we're just trying to knock these spas and they're equal. Do you know how many times I've seen the example that someone saved $4k because they bought the big box spa for $4k rather than the Sundance or Hot Spring for $8k.

If you do see the differences for what they truly are and knowing you that want to save some up front $$ then that's a choice anyone can make but just have your eyes open. My one brother-in-law could fix anything, would insulate it better and could get one be happy as a clam with it as long as the water was hot. My other brother-in-law would get the Costco and complain about the electric bill, the fact it doesn't feel the same as mine and God forbid there was a problem as he'd expect someone to come fix it the next day and would have a heart attack when he found out service isn't just a phone call/ day or two wait to fix but instead that he'd be lucky to get them to send him the parts he needs.

Just my two cents, but I don’t think anything in Bob’s review of his hot tub is deceiving. It’s positive, constructive posts like his that I value most on this message board. I just don’t understand all the bashing of these low end tubs. It reminds me of people who own Harleys and look down on everyone else who drive anything but a Harley.

I am not in spa sales or service business but I think I have a unique perspective. While I was growing up my parents had several Hotsprings tubs, the house I lived in for 3 years had a Sundance tub, I have a Keys Backyard tub that I got from Sam’s and my best friend has the Costco tub, so in the past 2 weeks I’ve used the Hot Springs, Costco, and Keys spas.

One of the things that I see a lot on this board that I find deceiving is the example people use when someone says it cost them say $50 in Feb to run the tub and I see examples of $50 X 12 months = $600 a year to heat . It may cost $50 to heat in Dec-Feb in cold weather climates but it cost a lot less the other 9 months, especially in the summer.

Great post flibotte.

Having owned a Costco tub for over a year, I've tried to offer an honest opinion of my purchase and I'll be the first to say they aren't for everyone. I think most of the "bashing" and the motives behind it are pretty transparent. Nice to hear another "outsiders" perspective.

NightRyder

I dont recall anyone saying dont buy one. As has been pointed out even by the people that own these spas do your homework so you dont end up with any surprises. As far as operating costs your right they will cost less to operate in the summer but the operating costs are going to be higher than some other spas on the market.

Great post flibotte.

Having owned a Costco tub for over a year, I've tried to offer an honest opinion of my purchase and I'll be the first to say they aren't for everyone. I think most of the "bashing" and the motives behind it are pretty transparent. Nice to hear another "outsiders" perspective.

NightRyder

We're just telling it like it is. You just don't like the message so you refer to it as "bashing". The funny thing is we agree on one thing, flibotte has a clue. I assume you especially agree with his very accurate statements that said:

"You just have to understand that the quality isn’t as high. On the Keys tub I have it looks like most of the components are quality components but you can see corners were cut to be able to sell them at such a low price. The insulation isn’t as good as my parents HotSpring and even thought their tub is bigger than mine it cost about $25-30 more a month in the winter to run."

We're just telling it like it is. You just don't like the message so you refer to it as "bashing". The funny thing is we agree on one thing, flibotte has a clue. I assume you especially agree with his very accurate statements that said:

"You just have to understand that the quality isn’t as high. On the Keys tub I have it looks like most of the components are quality components but you can see corners were cut to be able to sell them at such a low price. The insulation isn’t as good as my parents HotSpring and even thought their tub is bigger than mine it cost about $25-30 more a month in the winter to run."

Flibotte is the one who used the term "bashing" <-notice quotes, It was an honest observation that I agree with. There is nothing in his post I have a problem with, I've never said these tubs were equivelent of the top industry models. What I have said, is that for the right person, looking for an entry level tub, they deserve consideration.

For the record my "improved" spa cost approx. $30 a month during Jan and Feb to operate, about the same as my neighbor's Marquis.

NightRyder

Flibotte is the one who used the term "bashing" <-notice quotes, It was an honest observation that I agree with. There is nothing in his post I have a problem with, I've never said these tubs were equivelent of the top industry models.

For the record my "improved" spa cost approx. $30 a month during Jan and Feb to operate, about the same as my neighbor's Marquis.

NightRyder

Fair enough, I can't argue you when you say "What I have said, is that for the right person, looking for an entry level tub, they deserve consideration." statement as that is a reasonable way to look at it.

BTW, what do you mean "improved"? Did you add insulation and if so what manner and method?