Need Pool Heater Info For Inground Pool

dan7uk

I'm in the the planning stage for a natural gas pool heater and I believe I have it narrowed down to two brands, Hayward and Raypak. My pool has 450 sq ft of surface area. The hayward model is a low nox universal H series heater (150K btu) and the Raypak Digital Heater (206K btu). They are about the same price. I don't live in a state that requires installation of a low nox heater so I don't know if I should stay away from the low nox.

I am not planning to run heater 24/7, but to give pool a shot of heat on cool days. Would appreciate any comments on both brands good and bad. (Installation, easier to trouble shoot, set up, longevity of unit, operation, etc.).

Thanks for your input.

Low NOx is a good quality to consider. I wouldn't say that it is essential (unless your area required it). Raypak also offers a digital low NOx heater. Raypak is a good quality heater.

http://www.raypak.com/Raypak_Digital_LNX.htm

I recommend the optional cupro-nickel fin tube heat exchangers

NOTICE: Southern CA and TX law requires Low NOx units.

Low NOx heaters are required when installing a new Natural Gas heater in Texas and the following California Counties - Ventura, Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, and San Bernardino. Low NOx heaters are required by the South Coast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD) of Southern California.

Low NOx is a good quality to consider. I wouldn't say that it is essential (unless your area required it). Raypak also offers a digital low NOx heater. Raypak is a good quality heater.

http://www.raypak.com/Raypak_Digital_LNX.htm

I recommend the optional cupro-nickel fin tube heat exchangers

NOTICE: Southern CA and TX law requires Low NOx units.

Low NOx heaters are required when installing a new Natural Gas heater in Texas and the following California Counties - Ventura, Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, and San Bernardino. Low NOx heaters are required by the South Coast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD) of Southern California.

I prefer Raypack heaters

Some sources say that low NOx is more efficient. However, the Raypak Digital and the Raypak Digital low NOx are both rated at 82 % efficiency.

If there was a big difference in efficiency, then that would help offset the higher cost. With the same efficiency rating, the biggest benefit is the environmental aspect.

Not sure if you will be able to "give the pool a shot of heat on cool days" as normal heat rise with that heater is about 1 degree per hour.

If you can afford it, I would suggest getting the 406K model. You will pay more, but it think you will be happier with the shorter heat up times (1 1/2 to 2 degrees per hour). Raypak also claims a bigger heater is more cost effective (gas use).

• 2 weeks later...

It's probably too late, but the Hayward H-Series heaters come standard with the cupro-nickle heat exchanger, have for years. Last time I checked, it was an upgrade for the Raypak. Low Nox is far more efficient than Non. The LowNox heaters control wind factors, which can reduce efficiency by 30% or more. It's worth the extra few bucks.

FYI, Texas no longer requires LowNox for single family residence, but the LowNox heater still dominates because of the increased efficiency.

Low Nox is far more efficient than Non.

Some sources say that low NOx is more efficient. However, the Raypak Digital and the Raypak Digital low NOx are both rated at 82 % efficiency.

Do you have a reference that gives more information about the efficiency of Low NOx vs. non-Low NOx?

The LowNox heaters control wind factors, which can reduce efficiency by 30% or more.

Both heaters have a fan to force the air. What does a Low NOx heater do differently to control the wind than a non-Low NOx?

What does a Low NOx heater do differently to control the wind than a non-Low NOx?

A down draft has little to no effect on a positive vent heater.

Even though Raypak has one of the best cabinets to prevent the effects of a down draft on the RP Digital, they can (in the right conditions) still get one. The Low NOx on the other hand has a fan, and just laughs at a Down draFt.

Just thinking... Since the two are very close in efficiency, I wonder if Raypak takes into consideration that there is a motor running that fan and it takes a certain amount of amperage, there fore cuts into the efficiency a bit, how much? I don't know.

Something to consider with the (higher price of) low NOx.

I like having the fan in most cases, especially in high wind situations.

One situation that I have found that particularly needs a fan is when a heater sits near a tall wall. The wind will hit the wall and be diverted downward and it can push the flame backwards into the cabinet and burn up the heater.