1999 Laars Lite Lld Leaking (repair/replace)

UTgws

My 1999 Laars Lite 400k heater has developed some leaks, I can repair the heater, but was wanting to know is it really worth fixing?

As long as the headers are not corroded or eroded, and the electronics, fire brick, burner tray, and outer jacket/floor are holding up, sure, repair it. But i'm guessing after 10 years, it's not pristine. Unless its been inside and not used often.

Fixing at a cost of around $1500 or replace at $2600 to $3000 for like size?

I'm guessing for 1500.00 they are replacing the heat exchanger?

Did your repairman tell you why it may have started to leak? Water chemistry perhaps?

It's hard, not being able to see the heater first hand, it would be irresponsible of me to tell you what you should buy.

Did your repair guy say anything about the condition of your heater?

My 1999 Laars Lite 400k heater has developed some leaks, I can repair the heater, but was wanting to know is it really worth fixing? Fixing at a cost of around $1500 or replace at $2600 to $3000 for like size?

Thanks

10 years old, replace it. Get a Raypack with cupro nickel heat exchanger or a Hayward H series

My 1999 Laars Lite 400k heater has developed some leaks, I can repair the heater, but was wanting to know is it really worth fixing?

As long as the headers are not corroded or eroded, and the electronics, fire brick, burner tray, and outer jacket/floor are holding up, sure, repair it. But i'm guessing after 10 years, it's not pristine. Unless its been inside and not used often.

Fixing at a cost of around $1500 or replace at $2600 to $3000 for like size?

I'm guessing for 1500.00 they are replacing the heat exchanger?

Did your repairman tell you why it may have started to leak? Water chemistry perhaps?

It's hard, not being able to see the heater first hand, it would be irresponsible of me to tell you what you should buy.

Did your repair guy say anything about the condition of your heater?

Well I will be the repair guy and I was buying heat excanger and headers (was going to get the cast and not bronze) and my guess as to the reason for the leak is a freeze issue, the 2 speed relay stuck in the low speed position and when the temps went below the freeze protect setting and the pump came on it never really got the water flowing.... We do not use the heater to heat the pool only the spa a few times a year. I believe the rest of the heater is in ok shape, but if the normal life of a heater is close at hand, I would rather invest in new instead of patching the old.

Thanks

If you plan to repair, i would suggest bronze headers over the cast iron. We had and unexpected hard freeze some years back and of all the damaged heater headers i replaced, i only ran into one bronze header cracked. The bronze will "give" more than the cast iron in a freeze. It's up to you. If you fix the freeze protection, you should be fine with C/I.

If the heater appears to be ok, and it runs good, and if you only use the heater a few times a year, it doesn't really make sense to replace the heater, unless of course you make a promise to yourself to use the spa more.