Christmas Lights Around Tub

AndyMo

Hey there,

Do you folks have lights around your tub? We have a pergola over out tub and I was going to run some lights over the one end of the pergola, however that puts a "powered line" within 10 feet of the tub.

They are LED lights, and the receptacle is GFI, so it should be okay, right ?

Andy

Hey there,

Do you folks have lights around your tub? We have a pergola over out tub and I was going to run some lights over the one end of the pergola, however that puts a "powered line" within 10 feet of the tub.

Andy

YEAH....NO!

If you are going to do anything, do it low voltage. Get some 12V lights and use a transformer (wall wort, big black square thing, etc...)that way if things go down hill you won't die.

I just got some LED Xmas lights that are powered with 3 AA batteries, Home Depot has them.

They come in strings of twenty. I put six strings of them on my motorcycle for Xmas!

Dave

Xmasmotorcycle.jpg

It's a Dnepr (hence my Internet handle) it's Urals brother. The Dnepr was made in Kiev, Ukraine, near the Dnepr River, until 2007, it was the Soviet military motorcycle, where as the Ural was built as a civilian motorcycle.

The lights are about $6.00 per string and as you can see, are pretty bright.

Dave

It's a Dnepr (hence my Internet handle) it's Urals brother. The Dnepr was made in Kiev, Ukraine, near the Dnepr River, until 2007, it was the Soviet military motorcycle, where as the Ural was built as a civilian motorcycle.

Dave

I know it's a spa forum and all...but out of curiosity...how much work is it to keep one of those on the streets?

Sometimes it can be a challenge to keep the best of bikes in tip top shape, and I have always wondered how those hold up.

More on topic....my wife was wondering if she could safely use the hair dryer in the hot tub, as long as she promises to be very careful and the outlet is GFCI. What do you guys think?

There is a very supportive Internet community for both Dneprs and Urals and parts are available in the US. They are very simple to work on, they were designed to be repaired in the field so, if you can fix your lawn mower, you can fix one of these.

I've made a few long trips with it and it hasn't let me down.

Hot tub content: You can get one for the price of a new spa and they cost about the same to maintain.

Dave

Dave

I know it's a spa forum and all...but out of curiosity...how much work is it to keep one of those on the streets?

Sometimes it can be a challenge to keep the best of bikes in tip top shape, and I have always wondered how those hold up.

More on topic....my wife was wondering if she could safely use the hair dryer in the hot tub, as long as she promises to be very careful and the outlet is GFCI. What do you guys think?

Depends on your relationship with your wife and whether her life insurance policy is paid up.

Hey there,

Andy

Article 680.8 of the NEC is probably the controlling code, although you should check with your local AHJ. 680.8 states that any overhead wiring between 0 and 750 volts must be at least 22.5 feet away from any point of the water surface.

John