Spa Maintenance For 2-3 Week Durations

gman

I am putting a spa in our getaway cottage, which we try to use every other weekend. But we don't always keep to that retreat schedule. We need a spa maintenance system that can last for 2 - 3 week periods without attendance.

I've been reading many of the posts regarding spa water maintenance, including those from Nitro and Chem geek. It's my impression that a Bromine oriented maintenance system would require less attention than the dichlor/bleach regimen discussed by Nitro. However, I'm still not exactly clear on how the bromine system needs to be implemented to allow for our absence for 2 - 3 weeks.

What specifically must I do to a new spa to make sure the newly sanitized and balanced water remains sanitized during my 2 week absence (most commonly 2, but occasionally my 3 week absence)?

Thanks in advance for your kind assistance in solving this problem.

P.S. I did read an older post where someone was asking a similar question but needed a solution that did not include chlorine, bromine, or salt water chlorine system. I have no such restrictions. I'm just looking for an appropriate system that has a relatively long sustaining sanitation capability without requiring daily testing to remain safe yet effective.

One more thing I forgot to mention...my new spa will have an ozone system installed. Based on the chemistry posts I've read, this will have some impact on the water chemistry and maintenance system implemented. Thanks again for any help on matter.

Make sure there is enough tablets in your feeder to last the 2-3 weeks, when you leave, shock the tub with MPS, bringing up the bromine level and I would suggest using sea klear clarifer to pick up any small particles. When you arrive next time test the water, make sure you have a bromine reading, if not shock the tub with MPS to re-establish the bromine and when you leave again for the next time, shock it a little heavier. If you shock it enough to create enough bromine to sanitize and oxidize the wastes, plus have tablets dissolving whule you are gon it should be fine. the clarifier will help the filter pick up the small crap, make sure to adjust PH etc. upon arrival and departure.

Make sure there is enough tablets in your feeder to last the 2-3 weeks, when you leave, shock the tub with MPS, bringing up the bromine level and I would suggest using sea klear clarifer to pick up any small particles. When you arrive next time test the water, make sure you have a bromine reading, if not shock the tub with MPS to re-establish the bromine and when you leave again for the next time, shock it a little heavier. If you shock it enough to create enough bromine to sanitize and oxidize the wastes, plus have tablets dissolving whule you are gon it should be fine. the clarifier will help the filter pick up the small crap, make sure to adjust PH etc. upon arrival and departure.

Thanks, Hillbilly, for the advise with Bromine. I'm still educating myself via this forum on different options. After re-reading again (and again), Nitro's Water Chemistry Primer and Bromine Primer (another post...I forget by whom) and given my spa has an ozone system with 24/7 circulation, I'm seriously interested in the Nature2 and MPS combo system. However, as I'm sure you are aware, the Nature2 is not compatible with Bromine. If I recall Nitro's procedure, he recommends a weekly shock, which will not be possible for me.

Can anyone tell me if I shock before each use and add chlorine or MSP after each use to keep the FC at reasonable levels, will the ozone/Nature2 combo keep the water sufficiently sanitized while I'm away for a 2-3 week period? Or is this option completely out of the question?

Chlorine/Nature 2/MPS are not the safest if you are leaving the tub for periods of time. Bromine is the suggested sanitizer for people who are not going to tend to their tub every few days. Much safer than having sanitizer drop to zero till your next visit, even with the Nature 2.