Outside Temperature Question -- How Low To Freeze?

HockeyKat

I am a newbie to the forum. We have had our spa for 4 years now. It is an old (l80s-90s era) spa that we have fixed up.

That being said, it gives us trouble from time to time. One of the pumps and the control pack needed to be replaced when we got it, and we have had to send the pack back for repair a few times so far.

Two weeks ago, some of the plumbing came loose and it drained itself. Thankfully, all of the electrical parts are still working fine, and the rest of the existing plumbing also seems to be in good working order (the part that came loose was in our own DIY area).

That all being said, we are still working out the plumbing problem. In the meantime, it has decided to get cold here in North Carolina, and I am getting afraid that we might be about to cause ourselves more issues.

It was in the low 30s last night, and the low tonight is supposed to be about 28. Daytime temps are in the upper 40s/low 50s.

Unfortunately, I don't think that the latest round of PVC Cement will be dry in time to fill and run it tonight. Is there anything we can do to prevent pipe freezing, or are we just, well, out of luck??

Thanks in advance!

-Kat

I am a newbie to the forum. We have had our spa for 4 years now. It is an old (l80s-90s era) spa that we have fixed up.

That being said, it gives us trouble from time to time. One of the pumps and the control pack needed to be replaced when we got it, and we have had to send the pack back for repair a few times so far.

Two weeks ago, some of the plumbing came loose and it drained itself. Thankfully, all of the electrical parts are still working fine, and the rest of the existing plumbing also seems to be in good working order (the part that came loose was in our own DIY area).

That all being said, we are still working out the plumbing problem. In the meantime, it has decided to get cold here in North Carolina, and I am getting afraid that we might be about to cause ourselves more issues.

It was in the low 30s last night, and the low tonight is supposed to be about 28. Daytime temps are in the upper 40s/low 50s.

Unfortunately, I don't think that the latest round of PVC Cement will be dry in time to fill and run it tonight. Is there anything we can do to prevent pipe freezing, or are we just, well, out of luck??

Thanks in advance!

New to hot tubs here too, bought an old one to see if we would spend enoght time in it to justify buying a new one, I had the same problem, drained it on site where it was bought, was going to take a few days to get it wired up and was worried about the water in the pumps and plumbing freezing. tool a side pannel off and put a trouble light with a 100 watt light bulb inside there, put the pannel back on, taped around where the cord came out and it seemed to keep it above freezing with the temp. reaching 19 deg. Good luck

-Kat

New to hot tubs here too, bought an old one to see if we would spend enoght time in it to justify buying a new one, I had the same problem, drained it on site where it was bought, was going to take a few days to get it wired up and was worried about the water in the pumps and plumbing freezing. tool a side pannel off and put a trouble light with a 100 watt light bulb inside there, put the pannel back on, taped around where the cord came out and it seemed to keep it above freezing with the temp. reaching 19 deg. Good luck

Thanks for the reply! The only lamp I have is a gooseneck desk lamp, but I do have an outdoor extension cord and a 120v outlet out there... I wonder if that would do the trick? The skirting of this tub is wooden, so I also want to make sure I don't wind up with a fire!

I think we should be able to get things back together by tomorrow AM (pipe needs 24 hours to dry) and hopefully back up and running by tomorrow night.

Thanks for the reply! The only lamp I have is a gooseneck desk lamp, but I do have an outdoor extension cord and a 120v outlet out there... I wonder if that would do the trick? The skirting of this tub is wooden, so I also want to make sure I don't wind up with a fire!

I think we should be able to get things back together by tomorrow AM (pipe needs 24 hours to dry) and hopefully back up and running by tomorrow night.

Just make sure the light is clear of any obstuctions. I have used this method on allot colder temps than yours and for allot longer. Make sure the bulb is incandesent.