Chem choice?

Guest Scott

Brand new SPA owner, been readig a great deal. Preferance is to avoid any and all oder from Chems. I would appreciate pro's and con's of the best way to go with a SPA. I have also seen ECO one talked about, any fact/fiction experiance with it?

Thanks

I, too, am a spa novice who wants to avoid chemicals and their odors. I read everything I could find about alternatives to chlorine and bromine. In reading conversations in this forum (see "I don't want to be a chemist"), I learned about Spa Magic, a product that uses seaweed enzymes. You can Google them to get to their website. I have been using Spa Magic, following their instructions, for a couple of months now and love it. For sanitation, I add about a teaspoon of dry chlorine after I get out of the spa about every other time and leave the jets on/top off to allow the chlorine to dissipate completely (about 15-20 minutes). Every time I remove the cover, the water is clean, clear and odor-free. It makes me feel good to use a simple and low impact approach that avoids harsh, harmful and/or toxic chemicals.

SpaMagic is NOT a EPA registered sanitizer. Get on a EPA registered sanitizer for the yuor health and the health of your tub. Chlorine, Bromine, or Biguinide ( Soft Soak by BioGuard) last one is my preference - no odors.

Guest Suncrest

Soft Soak is a good product but for ease of use and cost I use Rainforest Blue. It is very easy to use and is very economical. I use it in both my pool and hot tub after trying most of the alternative sanitizers out there and I can't say enough good about this product. I have a 600 gallon spa and I use less then 1/4 ounce once a week and shock every two to three weeks. People love our pool and spa because there is no odor, irritation, red eyes, or faded bathing suits.

Use Spa Magic or Spa Solution if you want. Don't listen to the EPA boogymen. It's a fantastic product that not only perpetually keeps your water clean and clear, but also does away with testing and balancing COMPLETELY. Like Molly said, use a sanitizer occasionally in small amounts for peace of mind but, don't be scared by the hype. The seaweed based enzyme products are the best, period.

Yes Brian you are right it's not EPA Registered Sanitizer product! But and I say But. I have used this product myself for 9 year with out chlorine and bromine or any other chemical like them, I started with them until I found Spa Magic. Their is other thing in the world that work. Spa magic is good for three months and you just do have all the test like the other chemicals. and If you have problem with rash and other skin problem it help and you don't have the toxic fumes like the chlorine and bromine they are not good for you. Scott if you want to try useing a good product try Spa magic once. I get it from abm-solutions.net they are realy nice people their. good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a relatively new spa owner and have been using bromine since day one.

From my limited experience only;

Pros:

- little to no chemical smell

- easy to keep bromine levels adjusted

Cons:

- I have difficulty keeping pH down and alkalinity up, but not sure if this has anything to do with the sanitizer I use.

- I have difficulty controlling foam, but know this is due significantly to contaminents on our bodies & swimsuits, and also due to my liking the pumps/jets on HIGH with full air injectors on.

There is a serious misquote here. Rainforest Blue, Spa Magic, EcoOne, Nature2...none of these sanitize and you cannot call them sanitizers. They are bacteriacides. The only sanitizers are chlorine, bromine and biguanides (peroxide). You may have crystal clear water with these other products, but take a cup of that clear water and send it off to a lab and see whats living there, especially compared to properly sanitized water. There are many who claim they use a product with unbelievable results, but that does not mean it is safe water. Some bodies can handle more bacteria, pseudomomas, and other living nasty things better than others. Most of these products instruct you to use it with a low level of sanitizer which is the correct way. To do so without and thinking you have truely safe water is like sticking your head in the sand.

BTW, Molly is using the product in a very safe way.

• 1 month later...

There is a serious misquote here. Rainforest Blue, Spa Magic, EcoOne, Nature2...none of these sanitize and you cannot call them sanitizers. They are bacteriacides. The only sanitizers are chlorine, bromine and biguanides (peroxide). You may have crystal clear water with these other products, but take a cup of that clear water and send it off to a lab and see whats living there, especially compared to properly sanitized water. There are many who claim they use a product with unbelievable results, but that does not mean it is safe water. Some bodies can handle more bacteria, pseudomomas, and other living nasty things better than others. Most of these products instruct you to use it with a low level of sanitizer which is the correct way. To do so without and thinking you have truely safe water is like sticking your head in the sand.

BTW, Molly is using the product in a very safe way.

You are correct Tony, and it's important that people understand that.

The Epa tested Spa Magic in 1991. Which was about the same time they were examining dioxin and taking a beating from DOW on chlorine phase outs brought by the 1993 Clean Water Act. They found Spa Magic, when used properly, worked better than chlorine and bromine by eliminating all harmful bacteria while chlorine and bromine only maintain them at 'safe' levels. However, Spa Magic only has a shelf life of 5 years, is only effective at temperatures of 90+ degrees and will last 3 months for most hot tub users.

But sometimes, Shtuff happens!

This might not be the best example to make a point but heregoes: Imagine parents go out of town and their teenager have a party where a dozen or so people get wild in the tub with drink, food and a convenient place to go to the bathroom and everything gets turned off when its over. Any bacteria that wasn't killed before the water cooled could be multiplying at a rate of 200% per hour at temps between 45 and 90 degrees. Spa Magic doesn't begin to do it's work until the temp reaches 90 and the water doesn't have to appear dirty or even smell to be harmful for several more hours or even a day or more. Ecoli, even in a properly chlorinated pool, can remain undetected and deadly for more than a day.

By adding the proper amount of spa chlorine sanitizer (Sodium Dichlor 56% available chlorine) and running the jets with your cover off and water at 90+ degrees for an hour or so, you could quickly drop the bacteria count to a safer level boosting the effectiveness of Spa Magic as the chlorine gases off.

Using a garden hose that has sat outside in damp conditions can infect your water in a similar way when adding water to the tub.

IPB Image

Silly story I know, but I've heard too many people say they use and love Spa Magic and plan to never use chems again. But if shocking a hot tub is all it takes to eliminate risks that may not have been considered, it's worth the little effort to be safer.

You can read more about Spa Magic at chemfreespas.com

Rainforest Blue and Nature2 are the only product mentioned that have an EPA registration number.

As much as these guys want you to believe Spa Magic is a stand alone sanitizer, they are 100% false. These products help control the spread of bacteria in the spa, but do not kill bacteria themselves. If no bacteria is introduced into the tub, then Spa Magic will work great. However, once bacteria is introduced to the tub it will not destroy it.

In the UK, a group of people died in a tub contaminated with a serious strain of bacteria. This is a bigger risk than using small amounts of chlorine with these products. Sure, eveyone wants to get away from chemicals, but used in small amounts they have their place.

You are correct Tony, and it's important that people understand that.

The Epa tested Spa Magic in 1991. Which was about the same time they were examining dioxin and taking a beating from DOW on chlorine phase outs brought by the 1993 Clean Water Act. They found Spa Magic, when used properly, worked better than chlorine and bromine by eliminating all harmful bacteria while chlorine and bromine only maintain them at 'safe' levels. However, Spa Magic only has a shelf life of 5 years, is only effective at temperatures of 90+ degrees and will last 3 months for most hot tub users.

But sometimes, Shtuff happens!

This might not be the best example to make a point but heregoes: Imagine parents go out of town and their teenager have a party where a dozen or so people get wild in the tub with drink, food and a convenient place to go to the bathroom and everything gets turned off when its over. Any bacteria that wasn't killed before the water cooled could be multiplying at a rate of 200% per hour at temps between 45 and 90 degrees. Spa Magic doesn't begin to do it's work until the temp reaches 90 and the water doesn't have to appear dirty or even smell to be harmful for several more hours or even a day or more. Ecoli, even in a properly chlorinated pool, can remain undetected and deadly for more than a day.

By adding the proper amount of spa chlorine sanitizer (Sodium Dichlor 56% available chlorine) and running the jets with your cover off and water at 90+ degrees for an hour or so, you could quickly drop the bacteria count to a safer level boosting the effectiveness of Spa Magic as the chlorine gases off.

Using a garden hose that has sat outside in damp conditions can infect your water in a similar way when adding water to the tub.

IPB Image

Silly story I know, but I've heard too many people say they use and love Spa Magic and plan to never use chems again. But if shocking a hot tub is all it takes to eliminate risks that may not have been considered, it's worth the little effort to be safer.

You can read more about Spa Magic at chemfreespas.com

Rainforest Blue and Nature2 are the only product mentioned that have an EPA registration number.

As much as these guys want you to believe Spa Magic is a stand alone sanitizer, they are 100% false. These products help control the spread of bacteria in the spa, but do not kill bacteria themselves. If no bacteria is introduced into the tub, then Spa Magic will work great. However, once bacteria is introduced to the tub it will not destroy it.

In the UK, a group of people died in a tub contaminated with a serious strain of bacteria. This is a bigger risk than using small amounts of chlorine with these products. Sure, eveyone wants to get away from chemicals, but used in small amounts they have their place.

Another thing to consider. Bacteria are not the only bugs lurking in spa water. True sanitizers kill a wide range of water ailments, not just bacteria.

WOW! The bull pucky flying in this thread in nothing more than PHENOMINAL!

so many Unregistered posters ya have to wonder if this thread is being seaded by one individual

IF, the EPA really did test Spa Magic in 1991 one of two things would have happened. First, the makers would have paid the EPA over 7 figures to do the testing. Second, the EPA would have either issued a registration number, OR denied registration and warned the maufacturer that if they continued marketing it as a sanitized they would be fined 10's of thousands of dollars for each violation (each individual sale constituts a violation).

There was a post here than mentioned chemfreespas.com . That site has a section "lab studies". Many years ago there was a product called The Natural Hot Tub marketed by a person going by the name of Dr. Kelly Marks, that used these exact same "studies". ALL of these studies were found to bo COMPLETELY fabricated by him. "Kelly Marks" was a made-up name, and as far as I know, the EPA is STILL chasing after him (he was known at the time to quite frequently "relocate" to different areas around the country).

I have been using Spa Magic, following their instructions, for a couple of months now and love it. For sanitation, I add about a teaspoon of dry chlorine after I get out of the spa about every other time and leave the jets on/top off to allow the chlorine to dissipate completely (about 15-20 minutes). Every time I remove the cover, the water is clean, clear and odor-free. It makes me feel good to use a simple and low impact approach that avoids harsh, harmful and/or toxic chemicals.

Wait a minute here, this is almost the exact same as what I do minus the Spa Magic.

But I am told I am using harsh, harmfull and/or toxic chemicals.