Looking At A Used 2007 Hs Vista

TideJoe

The wife and I have wanted a spa for a while but haven't been willing to spend the $8-10K it costs for a quality brand. I found a 2007 HS Vista locally that looks to be in great shape for $3900 (they are selling because of divorce). Is this a good price for a 2 year old Vista?

If I buy it, I'd like to put it on my back porch (covered concrete patio) but the surface isn't level at all. I'm planning on framing up for a 4" tall concrete pad to put the tub on. Is it ok to put rebar/wire in the pad for reinforcement or will that cause a grounding problem?

Thanks for your help.

The wife and I have wanted a spa for a while but haven't been willing to spend the $8-10K it costs for a quality brand. I found a 2007 HS Vista locally that looks to be in great shape for $3900 (they are selling because of divorce). Is this a good price for a 2 year old Vista?

If I buy it, I'd like to put it on my back porch (covered concrete patio) but the surface isn't level at all. I'm planning on framing up for a 4" tall concrete pad to put the tub on. Is it ok to put rebar/wire in the pad for reinforcement or will that cause a grounding problem?

Thanks for your help.

I dont see how it could cause any grounding problems as it should never be visible through the concrete. Assuming you are pouring this over your existing concrete..... I would drill some holes and put rebar into the old slab or bust some holes in it to secure it in place. Just a thought.

OH, as for the spa. Sounds to me to be about right. I would not give anymore and would shoot for less. BUT thats just me.

Be sure to factor in the cost of electrical in your cost figures. It can be more than you expect.

Thanks for your help.

I dont see how it could cause any grounding problems as it should never be visible through the concrete. Assuming you are pouring this over your existing concrete..... I would drill some holes and put rebar into the old slab or bust some holes in it to secure it in place. Just a thought.

OH, as for the spa. Sounds to me to be about right. I would not give anymore and would shoot for less. BUT thats just me.

Be sure to factor in the cost of electrical in your cost figures. It can be more than you expect.

I think he'll take $3500 but no less. He still owes money on it. I already have a 100 A service run to my workshop and this will be about 30 feet away so the wiring will be easy (I wired houses while in college so I'll do it myself). I'll drill some holes in the current patio and anchor the pad to it. Thanks for your help.

I think he'll take $3500 but no less. He still owes money on it. I already have a 100 A service run to my workshop and this will be about 30 feet away so the wiring will be easy (I wired houses while in college so I'll do it myself). I'll drill some holes in the current patio and anchor the pad to it. Thanks for your help.

That price actually sounds pretty good actually if it's really 2 years old. A while back a few of us debated on a formula and my idea of a formula to use for a spa selling by the owner would be that it looses about 45% the first year (due to loss of newness and warranty when it transfers ownership) then about 10% for the second year and 5% per year thereafter until it becomes a $500 spa at year 10 or so. No exact science LOL, just a formula that IMO works pretty well on average.

Of course it would sell for far more by a dealer who would fill it in his work area, test it, fix any issues and give it an in store warranty so I'm only talking about spa owner to buyer sale.

Seeing that it's about a $10k spa new then I think $3900 is actually on the good side of ok and if you can get it for less even better though that’s assuming the condition is what you'd expect for a 2 year old premium spa and as with all used spas you need to see it in operation before you take anyone's word that everything works properly.

That price actually sounds pretty good actually if it's really 2 years old. A while back a few of us debated on a formula and my idea of a formula to use for a spa selling by the owner would be that it looses about 45% the first year (due to loss of newness and warranty when it transfers ownership) then about 10% for the second year and 5% per year thereafter until it becomes a $500 spa at year 10 or so. No exact science LOL, just a formula that IMO works pretty well on average.

Of course it would sell for far more by a dealer who would fill it in his work area, test it, fix any issues and give it an in store warranty so I'm only talking about spa owner to buyer sale.

Seeing that it's about a $10k spa new then I think $3900 is actually on the good side of ok and if you can get it for less even better though that’s assuming the condition is what you'd expect for a 2 year old premium spa and as with all used spas you need to see it in operation before you take anyone's word that everything works properly.

The owner said it was used less than 10 times and has been drained and covered. He says it's in perfect shape and said he'll write up a contract and fix anything if something doesn't work. I'm going to jump on it as soon as I see some pictures. The tub is about 100 miles away.

Any suggestions on transporting this thing? Can it sit on top of some trailer rails or can it sit upright? It's way too wide to fit IN in the trailer.

The owner said it was used less than 10 times and has been drained and covered. He says it's in perfect shape and said he'll write up a contract and fix anything if something doesn't work. I'm going to jump on it as soon as I see some pictures. The tub is about 100 miles away.

Any suggestions on transporting this thing? Can it sit on top of some trailer rails or can it sit upright? It's way too wide to fit IN in the trailer.

Depending on your climate, I'd want that spa filled, running, and heated before I bought it. Even if they offer to write a contract to fix it, you'd still potentially be moving a spa to your house and setting it up, wiring it, filling it... only to find out they didn't winterize it and have a leak. When buying privately, I prefer to see the spa in operation to make sure it heats, runs, and their patio isn't wet from any leaks.

Price wise though, that sounds like a pretty good deal. The Hot Spring Vista is a great spa, and honestly it sells for more than double that in my market brand new.

As far as the concrete pad is concerned. Hot Spring actually recommends a 4" reinforced concrete pad for that spa. :) See page 4 of the following document:

2007 Hot Spring Pre-Delivery Instructions (Foundation, Dimensions, & electrical wiring)

http://www.hotspring.com/pdfs/pre_delivery...ctions_2007.pdf

You can find the 2007 Hot Spring Owner's Manual here:

http://www.hotspring.com/Hot_Tub_Customers...e-delivery.html

Depending on your climate, I'd want that spa filled, running, and heated before I bought it. Even if they offer to write a contract to fix it, you'd still potentially be moving a spa to your house and setting it up, wiring it, filling it... only to find out they didn't winterize it and have a leak. When buying privately, I prefer to see the spa in operation to make sure it heats, runs, and their patio isn't wet from any leaks.

Price wise though, that sounds like a pretty good deal. The Hot Spring Vista is a great spa, and honestly it sells for more than double that in my market brand new.

As far as the concrete pad is concerned. Hot Spring actually recommends a 4" reinforced concrete pad for that spa. :) See page 4 of the following document:

2007 Hot Spring Pre-Delivery Instructions (Foundation, Dimensions, & electrical wiring)

The tub is in south Mississippi so I can't imagine it having any leaks/problems from frozen pipes etc. It only freezes a couple times a year and rarely longer than an hour or so when it does. I will request to see it running and heated.

Just talked to the owner and he's having his spa dealer come out and inspect the tub to make sure everything works and create a report.

Just talked to the owner and he's having his spa dealer come out and inspect the tub to make sure everything works and create a report.

One other thing you might want to ask is if the tub has ever sat dry for a long period of time..This can cause o-rings to dry and crack as well as glue joints to fail....Have a huge problem with that her in the west...Hot summers cold winters...Mike