Roof Or No Roof?

canucker

I am trying to decide if my privacy structure should be roofed or not. We haven't taken delivery yet of our new Arctic Summit and have never owned a hot tub before so it's really hard to know what is best. We live in a sub-zero snowy winter climate. Is it best to be open to the sky for the ambience and beautiful night skies, or is it best to have a roof so that snow and rain isn't an issue while bathing... Any opinions?

I am trying to decide if my privacy structure should be roofed or not. We haven't taken delivery yet of our new Arctic Summit and have never owned a hot tub before so it's really hard to know what is best. We live in a sub-zero snowy winter climate. Is it best to be open to the sky for the ambience and beautiful night skies, or is it best to have a roof so that snow and rain isn't an issue while bathing... Any opinions?

I think it depends on where you live. If you have no privacy and need screens on the sides then a roof would be helpfull as long as your all boxed in anyway. If you live in the country then wide open all the way really gives you a great experience. I have watched deer walk by, shooting stars and all kinds of wildlife while soaking. Of course I don't have a tub right now and live in a great place to have it in the open :(

I originally had planned to put my tub in the sunroom I was building....until I used a friend's that was inside. Totally convinced me to leave it outside. With a roof, it was damp, windows were all foggy, and it felt claustrophobic, and couldnt see anything when I lied back but the roof above me.. Out in the open, the stars, the falling snow flakes,the sunshine, the moon, the shooting stars, satellites, etc... are all a great show every night. Can't imagine enjoying tubbing without the view from above.

Yes the rain is not fun, if it's not raining hard, I just use a baseball cap and it's not a problem. It has to be raining really hard to keep me away from my nightly soak, and that does not happen that often. Don't worry about the cold outside, the colder the better. You'll find the sky is blacker and the stars much brighter on those really frigid nights, too. Now sure where you live, but I'm sure it's not much worse than here. I'm sure most readers will agree, that winter is the best time for soaking. Enjoy, Randy

I originally had planned to put my tub in the sunroom I was building....until I used a friend's that was inside. Totally convinced me to leave it outside. With a roof, it was damp, windows were all foggy, and it felt claustrophobic, and couldnt see anything when I lied back but the roof above me.. Out in the open, the stars, the falling snow flakes,the sunshine, the moon, the shooting stars, satellites, etc... are all a great show every night. Can't imagine enjoying tubbing without the view from above.

Yes the rain is not fun, if it's not raining hard, I just use a baseball cap and it's not a problem. It has to be raining really hard to keep me away from my nightly soak, and that does not happen that often. Don't worry about the cold outside, the colder the better. You'll find the sky is blacker and the stars much brighter on those really frigid nights, too. Now sure where you live, but I'm sure it's not much worse than here. I'm sure most readers will agree, that winter is the best time for soaking. Enjoy, Randy

I live in Minnesota, I spend most of my free time outdoors. It rains and I go outside, it snows and I go outside, its windy and I go outside.

Part of the beauty of having a hot tub is using it in bad weather...I can be outside...enjoy the view...enjoy the weather....and I don't have to be bundled up or covered in rain gear.

I enjoy the rain in the hot tub, and the snow, and the cold....the wind leaves something to be desired but I guess you can't win them all.

I would be very disappointed if I had a roof on...I would miss all the falling stars, and the aformentioned snow and rain.

Just my .02 cents...your mileage may vary.

I too live in Minnesota. I've only had my hot tub for a week or so (almost all rain) and have use dint every day. I can say i never even considered a roof or gazebo. It would take away 50% of the appeal.

In my tub, in the elements. Only way to go.

Good God it has rained tons the past two weeks!!!

Is it best to be open to the sky for the ambience and beautiful night skies, or is it best to have a roof so that snow and rain isn't an issue while bathing... Any opinions?

We are on Vancouver Island and get lots of rain and snow in the winter. That when I wear a hat. The open sky experience make up for the wet days. Tubbing under a roof would be as unnatural for us as wearing a swimsuit.

I too live in Minnesota. I've only had my hot tub for a week or so (almost all rain) and have use dint every day. I can say i never even considered a roof or gazebo. It would take away 50% of the appeal.

You must be down south, It has snowed up here along with the rain.

I don't have a gazebo over my spa either and never have. Although lately I have been thinking that I would like a roof to keep the snow off and some privacy screens to give me a little more privacy. Of course we live in the suburbs are our yard backs on to several neighbours back yards. It will have to wait for spring now cause winter will set in here soon.

J

You must be down south, It has snowed up here along with the rain.

south central Minnesota is where I am at.....been mostly rain....small amounts of snow....nothing that accumulated over an inch or lasted more than a few hours so far.

But it's coming!

I just finished building a roof over my spa. It's on the patio adjacent to the house, so I built a 12 x 12 roof attached to the house. My total cost was around $500 for material and a lot of sore muscles.

I really miss the stars, but I really dislike sitting out in the rain even more. We put a cheap tent canopy over it when it rained, and I even bought sides for it, but the canopy will not hold up to the snows here in Chicago. If it gets too cold, I will stretch a tarp as a wind break this winter, and decide what to do next year. I don't like the idea of enclosing the walls completely as it would feel confining and be a foggy mess.