Master Spa Issue

melissahh

When my husband and I bought our home last year, the 2002 Master Spa on the back porch was included. We cleaned the spa, replaced the filters, etc. and used it for abotu a year without an issue. The spa has three therapy pumps plus a ciculation pump. One night while in the spa Therapy 3 ( a one speed therapy) stopped working along with Therapy 2 (a two speed therapy). Therapy 1 (also 2 speed) works fine.When we push the buttons on the top control there is a hum but nothing happens. We tried all of the basic things such as removing the filters, checking for airlocks, etc. Finally we called in a spa repair guy to take a look. He told us that The pumps for therpy 2 and 3 were shot and that the circulation pump was on its way out. Of course he gave us a high repair estimate. He said that the problem was due to the excessive calcification in and around the pumps. Fortunately my husband is fairly handy so we found the pumps we needed online form various dealers at a much better price.

Yesterday we replaced all three pumps, therapy 2, therapy 3 and circulation and refilled the spa. Unfortunately we are having the exact same problem as before. :( Obviously the pumps were never the issue to begin with. So basically the continued problem is: the circulation pump does not seem to be running continuously as it should. Therapy 2 blows a little water on low speed but just hums on high. When therapy 3 is pushed there's a click but no response from the pump. Oddly, the circulation pump will start to run when therapy 3 is pushed. As before Therapy 1 works with no issues. I turned it on today in hopes that maybe it would magically fire up. I turned on therapy one but it shut off after about 30sec and I got the message "Heater may be dry, will retest shortly."

This is incredibly frustrating. As you can imagine, although we found better prices online, we have already put a considerable amount of cash into this. I would call the repair guy again but clearly he wasn't right in his first diagnosis. Any thoughs would be much appreciatied!!!

When my husband and I bought our home last year, the 2002 Master Spa on the back porch was included. We cleaned the spa, replaced the filters, etc. and used it for abotu a year without an issue. The spa has three therapy pumps plus a ciculation pump. One night while in the spa Therapy 3 ( a one speed therapy) stopped working along with Therapy 2 (a two speed therapy). Therapy 1 (also 2 speed) works fine.When we push the buttons on the top control there is a hum but nothing happens. We tried all of the basic things such as removing the filters, checking for airlocks, etc. Finally we called in a spa repair guy to take a look. He told us that The pumps for therpy 2 and 3 were shot and that the circulation pump was on its way out. Of course he gave us a high repair estimate. He said that the problem was due to the excessive calcification in and around the pumps. Fortunately my husband is fairly handy so we found the pumps we needed online form various dealers at a much better price.

Yesterday we replaced all three pumps, therapy 2, therapy 3 and circulation and refilled the spa. Unfortunately we are having the exact same problem as before. :( Obviously the pumps were never the issue to begin with. So basically the continued problem is: the circulation pump does not seem to be running continuously as it should. Therapy 2 blows a little water on low speed but just hums on high. When therapy 3 is pushed there's a click but no response from the pump. Oddly, the circulation pump will start to run when therapy 3 is pushed. As before Therapy 1 works with no issues. I turned it on today in hopes that maybe it would magically fire up. I turned on therapy one but it shut off after about 30sec and I got the message "Heater may be dry, will retest shortly."

This is incredibly frustrating. As you can imagine, although we found better prices online, we have already put a considerable amount of cash into this. I would call the repair guy again but clearly he wasn't right in his first diagnosis. Any thoughs would be much appreciatied!!!

Check in the incoming voltage at the spa. One leg could out which could try to run the pump on a lower voltage and will not start. I am leaning more towards a pc board problem from what you are describing from above.

Check in the incoming voltage at the spa. One leg could out which could try to run the pump on a lower voltage and will not start. I am leaning more towards a pc board problem from what you are describing from above.

Thats what we were thinking too. So does anyone know how to diagnose the problem? Since some functions seem to work without issue it's not likely that its the entire board that needs replaced. Also, seeing as how everything went in one night, we're thinking that there's only one component thats causing the problem.

Thats what we were thinking too. So does anyone know how to diagnose the problem? Since some functions seem to work without issue it's not likely that its the entire board that needs replaced. Also, seeing as how everything went in one night, we're thinking that there's only one component thats causing the problem.

I would check incoming power with a volt meter at the control board. First and the incoming voltage at each motor.

I would check incoming power with a volt meter at the control board. First and the incoming voltage at each motor.

I agree. It sounds like you may have lost one 110 leg. I'm guessing it's 220volt.

On mine, there is a fuse for each line in the spa pack and I accidentaly blew one and my spa did kinda the same thing....some pumps didn't work, circ pump did...

If it is a blown fuse, then you need to check to see what blew it.....I "know" how mine blew :rolleyes: