Spa Came With New House - 2005 Coleman Maax 471

Mark Davis

Hi-

We purchased a home in January and it has a Maax 471 (build: 11/04). I'm told it's a 2005 model.

The spa has been drained for at least a year.

How bad is this? Where does the brand fall in the spectrum? How does it compare to Hotsprings (how much worse?) I seriously considered just dumping it on craigslist and buying a Hotsprings. The unit is however built into our covered deck, which may make an install somewhat annoying.

I am told it has the CleanZone system (ozoneator), but not the CleanZone II, but I haven't opened it up. Given my understanding of how this works, it's almost irritating with infrequent usage. "An Ozonator will increase the IDLE Chlorine Demand. That means when the tub is not being used, the ozonator has little to do. However, it will outgas Chlorine, lowering your FC faster. OTOH, after the tub is used the ozonator will HELP oxidize bather waste, therefore saving FC."

Based on the controls, it doesn't seem to have air massage or fiberoptics or sound.

I plan to use Nitro's decontamination procedure. I'm a germ freak. Already bought the spa flush, but haven't started it yet.

Right now I am planning to use a Taylor K-2006 or 2106...But I am wondering if there are systems that will allow me to stick a probe in the water and monitor the variables through computer in real time?? Would be very cool and much more convenient. :)

Questions:

1. I was also thinking of replacing the pillows in the pool. Reasonable? I'm a germ nut.

2. Same for the filter. Who makes the best filters (unicel, filber, pleatco, other??)? Does anyone know the specs on mine? What is a good place to get them online? And other stuff, like test kits? Thoughts on micro-pure or Tri-X?

3. I am torn between chlorine vs. bromine. We'll probably only use it 1-3 times a week. Recommendations? I've read Nitro's chlorine method and will use that if we do chlorine. I was fascinated by 'Silk Balance' that the local Hotsprings dealer thinks is the best thing ever...anyone familiar with it?

4. Filter cycles...I am told the ozonator comes on during these cycles...Recommend 2x2 hour per day? I am paranoid about breathing in the ozone.

5. The unit has a cover. What is the best way to sanitize it, or should I replace like I am doing with the pillows? Appears to be a 4" or 5" Maax cover (Coleman). Local dealer said they have a cover cleaner that is likely an acid and the manufacturer recommended bleach water.

6. Would anyone recommend moving to the Cleanzone II? It's made by DELTA. It has a UV chamber (UV-C) with a 2 second kill time, which is supposedly much better than the Cleanzone I that is installed. Actually, is there any reason to stick with the Maax system? Couldn't I put in a Hotspring system? or whatever is best?

7. Or should I go with a salt-water generator?? The manufacturer was worried about salt residue gumming up components.

8. What do you think of remote monitors? I was wondering if I should have one installed...

9. Is it reasonable to leave the unit lower in temp and turn it up only before usage?? I wonder if this would mess up the water balance.

10. Electronic monitoring?

11. Would it be excessive to remove the jets and clean inside them??

Help is very much appreciated.

Thanks, -mark

Hi-

We purchased a home in January and it has a Maax 471 (build: 11/04). I'm told it's a 2005 model.

How bad is this? Where does the brand fall in the spectrum? How does it compare to Hotsprings (how much worse?) I seriously considered just dumping it on craigslist and buying a Hotsprings. The unit is however built into our covered deck, which may make an install somewhat annoying.

I am told it has the CleanZone system (ozoneator), but not the CleanZone II, but I haven't opened it up. Based on the controls, it doesn't seem to have air massage or fiberoptics or sound.

I plan to use Nitro's decontamination procedure. I'm a germ freak. Already bought the spa flush, but haven't started it yet.

Right now I am planning to use a Taylor K-2006 or 2106...But I am wondering if there are systems that will allow me to stick a probe in the water and monitor the variables through computer in real time?? Would be very cool and much more convenient. :)

Questions:

1. I was also thinking of replacing the pillows in the pool. Reasonable? I'm a germ nut.

2. Same for the filter. Who makes the best filters (unicel, filber, pleatco, other??)? Does anyone know the specs on mine? What is a good place to get them online? And other stuff, like test kits?

3. I am torn between chlorine vs. bromine. We'll probably only use it 1-3 times a week. Recommendations? I've read Nitro's chlorine method and will use that if we do chlorine. I was fascinated by 'Silk Balance' that the local Hotsprings dealer thinks is the best thing ever...anyone familiar with it?

4. Filter cycles...I am told the ozonator comes on during these cycles...Recommend 2x2 hour per day? I am paranoid about breathing in the ozone.

5. The unit has a cover. What is the best way to sanitize it, or should I replace like I am doing with the pillows? Appears to be a 4" or 5" Maax cover (Coleman). Local dealer said they have a cover cleaner that is likely an acid and the manufacturer recommended bleach water.

6. Would anyone recommend moving to the Cleanzone II? It's made by DELTA. It has a UV chamber (UV-C) with a 2 second kill time, which is supposedly much better than the Cleanzone I that is installed. Actually, is there any reason to stick with the Maax system? Couldn't I put in a Hotspring system? or whatever is best?

7. Or should I go with a salt-water generator?? The manufacturer was worried about salt residue gumming up components.

8. What do you think of remote monitors? I was wondering if I should have one installed...

9. Is it reasonable to leave the unit lower in temp and turn it up only before usage?? I wonder if this would mess up the water balance.

Thanks, -mark

Look in your phone book for the local Maxx dealer, explain the situation see if he can help.

Look in your phone book for the local Maxx dealer, explain the situation see if he can help.

I've talked to two local dealers...I've got some help, but not nearly what I'd expect from this forum...

I should note the tub was drained probably over a year ago, so it's been empty for quite some time...

Flush and decontaminate the tub and then fill it and balance the water , then see if you like the tub the way it is, if you dont, get another one, but if its already there, it works, and its hooked up then that would be a big plus for me...

i wouldnt remove the jets unless they are broken, if you do in my opinion your asking for a leak or to break something, just do a really good decontamination and bleach everything and buy new filters and you will be good enough to find out if you like this tub or if you want another...

but keep in mind if you get a new one you will have to make sure it is the same size or just a little bit bigger so it will fit the existing hole for the current tub..( you could do a smaller tub but you would have to frame it in and it could be an eye sore

Fill the spa with water and determine a couple things first.

1) Try to power it up. If it powers up take it through its paces to see that the pumps work. Set the spa to 98º or so and see if the heater works.

2) Note the exact water level, close the cover and come back the next day to be sure it hasn't lost any water.

Coleman made a decent spa but right now you don't know whether you have a nice used spa or a backyard boat anchor worthy of a saws-all. Don't waste your time until you know what u have.

If #1 and #2 work out then run some filter flush through it and start worrying about secondary things like chlroine vs bromine, where to get a good filter, pillows, filter cylce lengths, etc.

Hi-

The spa has been drained for at least a year.

I am told it has the CleanZone system (ozoneator), but not the CleanZone II, but I haven't opened it up. Given my understanding of how this works, it's almost irritating with infrequent usage. "An Ozonator will increase the IDLE Chlorine Demand. That means when the tub is not being used, the ozonator has little to do. However, it will outgas Chlorine, lowering your FC faster. OTOH, after the tub is used the ozonator will HELP oxidize bather waste, therefore saving FC."

Based on the controls, it doesn't seem to have air massage or fiberoptics or sound.

Questions:

2. Same for the filter. Who makes the best filters (unicel, filber, pleatco, other??)? Does anyone know the specs on mine? What is a good place to get them online? And other stuff, like test kits? Thoughts on micro-pure or Tri-X?

Thanks, -mark

1.Pillow from a local reatailer are about 50 bucks.

2 I prefer Pleatco brand filters

3 you can use a non chlorine system like Baqua Spa

4 If do not want the ozonater to run, it can be unplugged from the circuit board. The clean zone

II can be installed in a Maax tub since it is a option from them

5 clean the cover with a mild bleach and water solutions

8 Balboa makes a wireless spa monitor but it only shows temp and heater settings

11 turn the jets counterclockwise and they should come right out. it is a good idea to clean behind them

I have a Maax spa and what I do is run it on standard mode, set the filter cylce one to 1 hour and filter two to 1.5 hours. My water stays clean and when the tub heats it also filters the water. My ozone has been unplugged as I don't care for them.

As stated before see if it hold water, it might have not been drained properly for storage. if you can get to the panels to remove them everything is in the open and easy to get to. Most freeze damage stuff is the heater nuts or manifolds.

Also get some Pre Filters that rest on the skimmer lid they work really well and can cleaned. Some of they pillows might have the part number printed on the back would look like 103-618

Fill the spa with water and determine a couple things first.

1) Try to power it up. If it powers up take it through its paces to see that the pumps work. Set the spa to 98º or so and see if the heater works.

2) Note the exact water level, close the cover and come back the next day to be sure it hasn't lost any water.

Coleman made a decent spa but right now you don't know whether you have a nice used spa or a backyard boat anchor worthy of a saws-all. Don't waste your time until you know what u have.

If #1 and #2 work out then run some filter flush through it and start worrying about secondary things like chlroine vs bromine, where to get a good filter, pillows, filter cylce lengths, etc.

Seems like a reasonable approach. Thanks, -mark

1.Pillow from a local reatailer are about 50 bucks.

2 I prefer Pleatco brand filters

3 you can use a non chlorine system like Baqua Spa

4 If do not want the ozonater to run, it can be unplugged from the circuit board. The clean zone

II can be installed in a Maax tub since it is a option from them

5 clean the cover with a mild bleach and water solutions

8 Balboa makes a wireless spa monitor but it only shows temp and heater settings

11 turn the jets counterclockwise and they should come right out. it is a good idea to clean behind them

I have a Maax spa and what I do is run it on standard mode, set the filter cylce one to 1 hour and filter two to 1.5 hours. My water stays clean and when the tub heats it also filters the water. My ozone has been unplugged as I don't care for them.

As stated before see if it hold water, it might have not been drained properly for storage. if you can get to the panels to remove them everything is in the open and easy to get to. Most freeze damage stuff is the heater nuts or manifolds.

Also get some Pre Filters that rest on the skimmer lid they work really well and can cleaned. Some of they pillows might have the part number printed on the back would look like 103-618

Thanks for the response, I'll look for part #s. Tell me more about the pre-filter - is that fitted to the 471 or generic?

I think I use Unicel C-8475 or a Pleatco PCS75N.

• 4 weeks later...

I wanted to thank everyone for their responses and post an update.

1. Doesn't have an ozonator...

2. Had a leaking seal on a jet motor...replaced with an AO Smith 2.5HP 2-speed....could have replaced the seal, but the impeller was "stuck" and the motor looked worn...oh well....this was jet2.

3. Had a broken motor - low speed not operational on jet1 (filter jet, no surprise). Replaced that one with an AO Smith 2.5HP 2-speed....Maax part #s matched.

4. Lots of knobs were broken, replaced several. Also replaced the browning air diverter knows - this is a defect IMO, oh well...

5. Looks like I need a jet kit - ordered one...several neck jets were not functioning and I believe some of the others, but I haven't been in the thing...

6. Bought all new pillows...just ordered the inserts for them today...

7. Put the light back in...it had fallen out...How is the heck does that happen?? The light has a red cover on it....

So, we are replacing the tub one part at a time :-)...I'd rather own a HotSprings or Caldera or whatever is considered top of the line, but that will wait a few years I guess. What is top-of-the-line BTW? Would like to understand them to research the replacement...

Did I say the tub was built into a deck and that I spent probably 10 hours digging out screws? Some of the joists are literally running in parallel with the sides of the tub...What fun...Finally managed to get 2 sides off the thing to enable some access....don't know if I will ever replace the upper screws...

Anyway, it is finally up and running...also went through 2 Spa Flush cycles and 2 shocks at 100PPM and it's still not perfect...Water is green! I believe this is due to Baquaspa residue...Installed a new filter/pre-filter and the pre-filter turned DARK brown..nasty..we'll keep cleaning/replacing them. Also bought a "FreshStart" pre-filter that I will use for the "real" fill. Will remove all jets and clean within the cavity as well -- anyone recommend a jet cavity cleaner??...Have wiped down the spa numerous times now with various things.

What fun...picked up a spa wand that has done wonders...also a skimmer thingy...now the dirt from the bottom is gone..and leaves..(deck is covered, but near a riparian forest, so I get a lot of junk in the thing).

I am working on a detailed analysis of what is best for water maintenance and will post to the chemistry forum...Really want a SWCG, but am worried about corrosion...is it FUD @ 1500 PPM?

Also posted about spa balance chems...wondering what products/brands you use...

Making good progress, but it is taking some time...

And I impression of Maax is not so hot. 4.5 years old, 2nd owner, and NOTHING was covered under the warranty. Does Hotspring or whatever is best? have a transferable warranty or is that standard practice?

Thanks! -mark

• 2 weeks later...

More updates:

1. ordered a jet kit, still hasn't arrived. We're going to replace all jets.

2. water is now clear...we just allowed the spa to run for several days at 104 degrees and the pre-filter was turned brown quite a number of times...apparently, the spa flush didn't get all the junk, but the water is now amazingly clear.

3. SPA seems to have a reasonable CD - perhaps 30%.

4. Water seems to be in balance most of the time...

After all of the hassle and expense, I wonder whether it was worth keeping the Maax or whether we should have bought whatever is considered top of the line -- BTW, what is that? Hotspring? Caldera? Something else?

-mark

After all of the hassle and expense, I wonder whether it was worth keeping the Maax or whether we should have bought whatever is considered top of the line -- BTW, what is that? Hotspring? Caldera? Something else?

-mark

General consensus is (in no particular order): Jacuzzi, Hot Spring, D1, Sundance, Caldera, Arctic, and others I'm sure. I guess, it depends what you have available locally. For me, it was Jacuzzi, Sundance, Bullfrog, Beachcomber, Artesian, Arctic, Coast & Master. I decided on Jacuzzi because I am very impressed with the dealer, and the tub itself is awesome!

Sounds like you've made the time and money commitment to your Maax spa now, it will probably do you well for several years now. If I were you, I wouldn't run out and buy a new one just yet.