2008 Infinity Costco Hot Tub

pulp

Hi everyone,

After a long search I think I finally found a good spa to buy but this is a huge purchase for me and I wanted to make sure I wasn't making a mistake. I've heard mixed reviews about infinity and know they went out of business, a lot of people say they are a decent brand for the price.

Here are the specs:

2008 infinity hot tub originally purchased at costco, now purchasing from private party.

64 jets

2 pumps

waterfall

ozonator

cd player

lighting

2 air control valves

$2,800

Should i buy if everything looks, sounds, and works good when i check it out? I have a used spa buying check list i found on the net to check everything out...

I've been looking at used spas now for months, I have a $3,000 dollar budget and I'm having a really tough time finding a good used bang for my buck hot. So any recommendations on brands/ models would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance!

I would not buy a Costco hot tub, and I definitely would not buy a used Costco hot tub. For $3K, you should be able to find a 1-3 year old spa from a major vendor, that has a dealer network to back you up. You have to be patient. It took me 6 months to find my Jacuzzi. It was well worth the wait.

*patiently waiting on a barrage of interesting and exciting responses*

You got that right :D

Here's the first:

1. Tell the seller you'll buy the tub, but you want him to deliver it to costco.

2. When he gets there, instruct seller to go inside and return said tub to Costco.

3. He comes out with check for original purchase price.

4. You give him $2800 cash for his check.

5. You take $$ from check and buy something better (costco or elsewhere). B)

Seriously- defunct mfg, on a basically "new" tub, the only one standing behind it is costco and that goes away when it is sold. I'd pass. If you got $3k to spend, wait for a good used tub from a quality mfg that's still around.

Hi everyone,

After a long search I think I finally found a good spa to buy but this is a huge purchase for me and I wanted to make sure I wasn't making a mistake. I've heard mixed reviews about infinity and know they went out of business, a lot of people say they are a decent brand for the price.

Here are the specs:

2008 infinity hot tub originally purchased at costco, now purchasing from private party.

64 jets

2 pumps

waterfall

ozonator

cd player

lighting

2 air control valves

$2,800

Should i buy if everything looks, sounds, and works good when i check it out? I have a used spa buying check list i found on the net to check everything out...

I've been looking at used spas now for months, I have a $3,000 dollar budget and I'm having a really tough time finding a good used bang for my buck hot. So any recommendations on brands/ models would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance!

I wonder why the seller just doesn't return the tub to costco and get a full refund??

I got a brand new one with a warranty for 3100 tax, chemicals and all. It holds two people very comfy, three people if at least one's a girl, and four people if you're all very good friends. The only way I'd plop down three grand on a used spa is if ti was like 10 grand new and I had seen it filled with water and working.

Here are the specs:

64 jets

2 pumps

waterfall

ozonator

cd player

lighting

2 air control valves

$2,800

We only paid $2999 for our Infinity when we bought it new in August 2007. We've been happy with it. Even though the company is out of business, we have a written commitment from Costco that they will honor the original warranty. But $2800 for a used Infinity with no warranty ... not a good deal IMO.

Sandi

OK, sometimes you can make a killer deal. But $2800 is far, far too much for that spa. Being used, you can’t return it to Costco, and having that backstop is a major part of the Infinity value proposition.

Still, here's a possible course of action.

1. Find out why they're selling. The best thing to do is just come out and ask. See if the reason rings true to you. If you have any sense of unease, walk.

2. Ask about the energy usage. You can improve the heat retention of that spa, but if it's a major energy hog, stay away. Ask to see electric bills from summer and winter months. Some people keep their bills filed away. Again, if you get any sense that the spa is being sold because it sucks kilowatt hours, walk away.

3. See the spa running. Have the owner produce the manual, and check the control panel function to make sure everything does what it's supposed to do. If there are any failures or non-working functions, pass on the tub.

4. Wet test the spa to make sure you like it. Nothing is a bargain if you don't like it.

5. Remove EVERY removable cabinet panel. Stick your head inside and look carefully for any signs of leakage, water stains or mold growing anywhere. Look for water tracks (evidence of a leak) around the jets, and every other penetration in the shell. Poke the frame with an awl, especially if you see any discolored areas or other indication that it has been wet for a prolonged period of time. Crumbly or soft wood = rot. Anything looks less than perfect, say "thanks" and leave.

6. Examine the condition of the cover and pillows. Both are limited-life items and expensive to replace.

7. Now, if everything looks perfect, offer them no more than $1500. Cash (benjamins) often has a very persuasive effect. This is about ½ price of what they were new and is the absolute most I would drop on this spa without the Costco backstop. Make the deal contingent (very important) on your inspection *after the water is drained*

8. When the water is out of the tub, go over EVERY SQUARE INCH of the shell looking for blisters or other signs of delamination. Take your time and do this carefully, it is important. The shell is about the only part that you CAN'T easily replace on that tub. A blister will be a bump, maybe a little smaller than a dime but could be larger than a quarter. Don't rely on eyes, especially if the shell is light colored. Run your fingers over the plastic. Fingers will pick up things that eyes miss. Look AND feel. If there are ANY problems with the shell, pass on the spa. Once you get even a single delam or blister in an acrylic shell with polyester/fiberglass backing, it's likely that you'll get more.

9. You might still have problems. Remember that there is no guarantee. But if you can get this spa for no more than $1500, I might consider it a reasonable gamble. If you get three years out of it, you did ok. Any more than that would be gravy. But remember, you are buying used, there is a reason they're selling such a new tub, and YOU are on the hook for any problems or service. Still, your total exposure if you can get it for $1500 would be pretty small.

Good luck!

OK, sometimes you can make a killer deal. But $2800 is far, far too much for that spa. Being used, you can’t return it to Costco, and having that backstop is a major part of the Infinity value proposition.

1. Find out why they're selling. The best thing to do is just come out and ask. See if the reason rings true to you. If you have any sense of unease, walk.

2. Ask about the energy usage. You can improve the heat retention of that spa, but if it's a major energy hog, stay away. Ask to see electric bills from summer and winter months. Some people keep their bills filed away. Again, if you get any sense that the spa is being sold because it sucks kilowatt hours, walk away.

3. See the spa running. Have the owner produce the manual, and check the control panel function to make sure everything does what it's supposed to do. If there are any failures or non-working functions, pass on the tub.

4. Wet test the spa to make sure you like it. Nothing is a bargain if you don't like it.

5. Remove EVERY removable cabinet panel. Stick your head inside and look carefully for any signs of leakage, water stains or mold growing anywhere. Look for water tracks (evidence of a leak) around the jets, and every other penetration in the shell. Poke the frame with an awl, especially if you see any discolored areas or other indication that it has been wet for a prolonged period of time. Crumbly or soft wood = rot. Anything looks less than perfect, say "thanks" and leave.

6. Examine the condition of the cover and pillows. Both are limited-life items and expensive to replace.

7. Now, if everything looks perfect, offer them no more than $1500. Cash (benjamins) often has a very persuasive effect. This is about ½ price of what they were new and is the absolute most I would drop on this spa without the Costco backstop. Make the deal contingent (very important) on your inspection *after the water is drained*

8. When the water is out of the tub, go over EVERY SQUARE INCH of the shell looking for blisters or other signs of delamination. Take your time and do this carefully, it is important. The shell is about the only part that you CAN'T easily replace on that tub. A blister will be a bump, maybe a little smaller than a dime but could be larger than a quarter. Don't rely on eyes, especially if the shell is light colored. Run your fingers over the plastic. Fingers will pick up things that eyes miss. Look AND feel. If there are ANY problems with the shell, pass on the spa. Once you get even a single delam or blister in an acrylic shell with polyester/fiberglass backing, it's likely that you'll get more.

9. You might still have problems. Remember that there is no guarantee. But if you can get this spa for no more than $1500, I might consider it a reasonable gamble. If you get three years out of it, you did ok. Any more than that would be gravy. But remember, you are buying used, there is a reason they're selling such a new tub, and YOU are on the hook for any problems or service. Still, your total exposure if you can get it for $1500 would be pretty small.

Good luck!

I forgot to mention that it was a 7 man hot tub, I believe they paid $4,900 new so following your advice I resent an offer for $2,200 if we pick it up, and $2,500 if they can deliver it to my house. I also linked to this post so the sellers can understand where I'm coming from.

Thanks for the taking so much time to help! It's amazing how much there is to know about spa's!

Good luck!

I forgot to mention that it was a 7 man hot tub, I believe they paid $4,900 new so following your advice I resent an offer for $2,200 if we pick it up, and $2,500 if they can deliver it to my house. I also linked to this post so the sellers can understand where I'm coming from.

Thanks for the taking so much time to help! It's amazing how much there is to know about spa's!

Well, best of luck to you. I would personally not go 2200-2500 for that tub, that is just too much for a used Infinity no matter what they paid. But then again I wouldn't ever have sprung $4900 for a new Infinity (any size!). I have NO problem with Costco... the infinity product just never appealed to me. But again, as long as you look as carefully as you know how, and are comfortable with the dollar exposure, no warranty...

Oh, PLEASE DO check to make sure you can get replacement PILLOWS (assuming the thing uses pillows). Might sound silly... now... it won't when you need a couple.

After all, what fun would life be if there were no risks??