Lounger Or Not

canucker

The Artesian factory salesman in my area just informed me that the lounger option is not very popular amongst repeat hot tub/spa purchasers. Lots of new tub purchasers opt for it, but then end up not liking it much, because of floatation...that is you tend to float up and away from your seat. I would really like to know if this is true or if he was just saying that because he didn't happen to have the lounger version in stock at the moment. :o

i have wet tested a few and im not partial to the lounger for that very reason!! wet test, wet test, wet test!! if you are going to spend that amount on a tv or car you want to drive it or see it run first same goes for the tub

For years I have heard the same comment/statistic.

I've owned both tubs with loungers and without. At first I didn't care so much for the lounger and did float out, but after a while (several months) I found the sweet spot and figured out how to sit in it without floating. lately, i've really like my lounger and am very happy i have one.

Over the years I have found myself "rediscovering seats" and my favorite seat tends to change. what i first thought would be my "go to seat" isn't so much anymore. But then agian I bet in a few months I'm going to be favoring anothe seat with the diverter and jets configured in a way i never thought I 'd like. (Variety is the key).

My recomendation is 1) Choose a tub with a vareity of seating options and a vareity of jets. Wet Test.

Then;

If fitting the maximum number of people in your hot tub at any given time is a priority, then don't opt for the lounger. They take up too much space.

However, if the majority of time you're only going to have 1-2 folks in the tub, then consider the lounger, it's a great option. But if many times, you're going to have 4, 5, or more in the tub you may find the lounger isn't the best choice, IMHO.

We have two spas (different homes) with a single seat lounger. One spa's single lounger is by far the most coveted seat in the spa; this spa also has the most comfortable non-lounger seats too and my wife and I are both quite comfortable with no "float issues" despite our size differences (she is 5'3.5" [105lbs] and I am 6'2" [195lbs])...where the other spa's lounger is rarely used and does not fit me well.

The before mentioned lounger seat seems quite therapeutic for soothing sore muscles and aches after a long day at work (or a good workout) and it was also designed with the therapeutic jets slightly recessed so they do not impinge upon your backside when you are just relaxing with a soothing soak. I honestly would hate to be without it...where the other one we could do without.

The point is, you should wet test and let your particular backside be the judge.

As a relatively new spa owner I can confirm it's true that 'floating' can be a problem in the lounger seat. From my own experience this is caused by swimwear (trunks) ballooning with air when the jets are on, and therefore increasing your bouyancy to the point where the pressure of the jets beneath pushes you up off the lounger seat, which can obviously be frustrating!

My (low tech) 'fix' for this problem was to pierce a couple of small slits in my swimming trunks to prevent this huge air bubble building up, so I don't float away - worked great but I now I can only use these trunks in my spa!

The Artesian factory salesman in my area just informed me that the lounger option is not very popular amongst repeat hot tub/spa purchasers. Lots of new tub purchasers opt for it, but then end up not liking it much, because of floatation...that is you tend to float up and away from your seat. I would really like to know if this is true or if he was just saying that because he didn't happen to have the lounger version in stock at the moment. :o

1) It is always recommended that you wet test a spa to be sure if it fits you well.

2) IMO, if it has a lounge it's twice as important to wet test because they take up space and will not fit everyone despite how well it may be designed.

If you do not wet test I would highly advise you skip the lounge to be safe.

If you do wet test then get whatever passes the test best!!!

The Artesian factory salesman in my area just informed me that the lounger option is not very popular amongst repeat hot tub/spa purchasers. Lots of new tub purchasers opt for it, but then end up not liking it much, because of floatation

We were told the same thing when we were shopping for a spa. But I really, really wanted a lounger. We tried 4 spas with loungers. Three different jacuzzi tubs and the Arctic cub. The Jacuzzi J355 was perfect, I did not float out of it (wet tests are so important!). Just a few weeks into having the spa and the lounger is the most popular seat in the tub.

I LOVE my lounge... but have been in others I didn't like at all... I'm with everyone else! Test Soak, if you want a lounger there is definitly one out there that will fit you just right

I'm a large fellow so I wouldn't fit in those skinny little loungers anway - honestly I don't fit in most of those seats. I thought the only comfy tub I would ever find would be one of those giant redwoods with the bench seat but they kinda suck cuz they only have like 3 jets, so when I found mine it was love at first sight. My brother told me he didn't like the "floating" issue either, but what I find is floating is the thing I like most! I don't "sit" in the tub at all, I LAY in the tub... it's like floating on a bubbly cloud; it's like being a leaf in a warm, cozy pond.

So, like everyone else says, as a newbie I can confirm it's not just "old hands" telling you this. Go try a few and see how you would most enjoy them. I might like a few more jets in the next one, and might even try one with a lounger since I now know I won't be "sitting" in the tub anyway... not unless I got 2 or 3 companions.

By the way, if you use the proper shorts in the tub you won't have the bouyancy problem. Go to walmart and buy a 4 pack of plaid men's cotton boxers. Make sure it's plaid unless you want everyone to get a show. I prefer nude but when the kids were here for the Summer I couldn't have that, so I went and bought men's briefs for everyone (yes the nieces too). The fly provides a "vent" so they don't puff up but closes off nicely so there's no accidents when someone stands up (not that there'd be much to see anyway on a teenage girl with an open fly, but you get the point).

It's all relative, of course. the bigger you are the more naturally bouyant you will be anyway - and I float really good. What a coincidence, that's just how I like it.

I'm a large fellow so I wouldn't fit in those skinny little loungers anway - honestly I don't fit in most of those seats. I thought the only comfy tub I would ever find would be one of those giant redwoods with the bench seat but they kinda suck cuz they only have like 3 jets, so when I found mine it was love at first sight. My brother told me he didn't like the "floating" issue either, but what I find is floating is the thing I like most! I don't "sit" in the tub at all, I LAY in the tub... it's like floating on a bubbly cloud; it's like being a leaf in a warm, cozy pond.

So, like everyone else says, as a newbie I can confirm it's not just "old hands" telling you this. Go try a few and see how you would most enjoy them. I might like a few more jets in the next one, and might even try one with a lounger since I now know I won't be "sitting" in the tub anyway... not unless I got 2 or 3 companions.

By the way, if you use the proper shorts in the tub you won't have the bouyancy problem. Go to walmart and buy a 4 pack of plaid men's cotton boxers. Make sure it's plaid unless you want everyone to get a show. I prefer nude but when the kids were here for the Summer I couldn't have that, so I went and bought men's briefs for everyone (yes the nieces too). The fly provides a "vent" so they don't puff up but closes off nicely so there's no accidents when someone stands up (not that there'd be much to see anyway on a teenage girl with an open fly, but you get the point).

It's all relative, of course. the bigger you are the more naturally bouyant you will be anyway - and I float really good. What a coincidence, that's just how I like it.

Thanks for the Walmart tip Poptones - have to go get myself some boxers!

No swimming suit is the key whenever suitable... So what, if you float around a little in the lounger when pumps are running, no probs. BUT, and this is where I really enjoy the lounger; after 20 mins of massage I really enjoy another 20-30 mins with only the waterfall or serenity option running. For this no corner seat can beat the lounger (have to fight my wife for it )

My first tub had a lounger, I hated it. It's certainly a personal thing. My new tub (Jacuzzi 470) has four awesome corner seats which lean back similar to a lounger and lots of room to stretch out. It's early (just installed yesterday) but so far I LOVE this tub! B)

We just got our Artesian Grand Bahama w/lounge this week and we love it! The only way we had a floating problem was when we had the jets turned up on it all the way. Then we floated a little. But I got the right settings on all the jets on the lounger now and it is great! Definetly glad we got one with the lounge.

I'm skinny and tend to get pushed up by the jets in the lounger unless I'm positioned just right. With the jets off, I rise each time I inhale and sink when I exhale. It's annoying, but kinda funny when I'm soaking and become aware of it. In a larger body of water I always sink. I've never been able to float - I have to keep moving or I'll drown. :(