Mold On The Underside Of Hot Tub Cover?

synapse8888

I have a Jacuzzi J-345 which is growing some sort of mold looking stuff on the underside of the cover (directly above the water).

Any advice on getting rid of it, and/or preventing it from appearing in the first place?

Thanks!!

Hmmmm, never had that problem. What type of sanitizer are you using?

Bleach (Chlorine) kills mold so if you have mold on the inside of the cover it seems you must not be using enough. How old is the cover? It's probably growing inside the cover as well.

I'd ditch it; mold can make you sick. You'd probably want to do a decontamination on the tub as well. I know I would.

Bleach (Chlorine) kills mold so if you have mold on the inside of the cover it seems you must not be using enough. How old is the cover? It's probably growing inside the cover as well.

I'd ditch it; mold can make you sick. You'd probably want to do a decontamination on the tub as well. I know I would.

Don't get to carried away until you know it's mold and not somekind of staining or deterioration of the cover material. How old is the cover?

Don't get to carried away until you know it's mold and not somekind of staining or deterioration of the cover material. How old is the cover?

honestly i have no idea if it is mold...i figured i was using the wrong word. it looks dark green, and doesn't do much of anything when i rub it with my finger, if that helps at all.

the cover probably came with the tub, and it's a 2004 tub, although until now it's always been on a covered back porch so minimal exposure to the rain.

i'm not going to decontaminate as i just bought the tub ~2-3 months ago and did it right before my first (and current) fill.

any other ideas/questions?

honestly i have no idea if it is mold...i figured i was using the wrong word. it looks dark green, and doesn't do much of anything when i rub it with my finger, if that helps at all.

the cover probably came with the tub, and it's a 2004 tub, although until now it's always been on a covered back porch so minimal exposure to the rain.

i'm not going to decontaminate as i just bought the tub ~2-3 months ago and did it right before my first (and current) fill.

Dark green? The only thing I can think of is some sort of nasty algae, but that usually requires sunlight to grow. If it is algae it'll wipe off easily with diluted bleach.

What I don't get is why? I'm a new owner myself and I'd like to know this as well. Mold can make some people very sick (I myself am pretty sensitive to it) and algae can also be toxic so this is potentially a problem - but I don't understand how it could be if there's chlorine in the water? Chlorine kills all that stuff - even the pros use bleach to clean up infestations. How would this grow in a properly chlorinated hot tub?

I guess if it's not bothering you or making anybody sick or it doesn't stink or anything I would not worry about it untill the next time you do a drain and refill. Then clean your cover good with a bleach solution and scrub it with a soft brissle scrub brush. Then rinse it well. Make sure to use some 303 protectant on the vinyl surfaces. At 5 years old if it is 5 years old you have done fine. And get a new cover if it really starts to bug you. Quality covers can be had a RHTUBS dot com

We are becoming very very nervous about mold.

Mold has been around since the day we were born and some molds are not gonna hurt you.

Its the airborne ones that will kick you ass.

You have warm water around pourous serfaces its gonn happen from time to time.

Keep a bottle of 20% bleach and 50% water in a spray bottle and use it from time to time to spot clean the tub anyway. You can use it on pillows and around the controls with a soft brush. Spray on weird looking things and let it sit and scrub with brush and it should come right off.

If the tub is not making you sick then its all ok. Covers have lots of grainy surfaces that things can get into.

Tub chlorine levels bounce and we are not perfect in how we stay on top of the levels so maybe you had somthing start that usually does not happen.

• 14 years later...

I inherited a hot tub cover that has a lot of black spots that seem like mold. I have vigorously scrubbed with bleach cleaner and hosed it down which seems to remove some of the black sports but a gray stain is left behind which is IMPOSSIBLE to get out, has anyone else had this experience? ThanksI inherited a hot tub cover that has a lot of black spots that seem like mold. I have vigorously scrubbed with bleach cleaner and hosed it down which seems to remove some of the black sports but a gray stain is left behind which is IMPOSSIBLE to get out, has anyone else had this experience? Thanks