Hot Tub Is Blowing The Main Breaker After 20 Minutes

NeilDR

I just installed a new hot tub. I have two 100 amp panels. The hot tub 50 amp breaker is in a panel for lights and outlets. The tub will run for about 20 minutes and then the main breaker overheats and shuts off. I have shut off all breakers except the hot tub breaker and the 100 amp breaker still gets hot. The 50 amp breaker and the 50 amp GFCI never trip or get hot. Could the 100 amp breaker be weak?

I am open to any suggestions. Thanks.

I would have to agree, you will need an electrician for this issue.

Need an electrician for sure....but it could be a voltage drop from your feed line. It sounds strange, but a voltage drop with the same amperage draw will cause an increase in temperature, possibly causing a trip in your breaker.

Just an idea, most likely just a weak breaker or something simple.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are turning off every other breaker in the panel and the 100 amp breaker still heats up and trips then I would say it's a bad breaker. I would probably make sure the 100 amp breaker was seated properly and ensure the lugs were tight on the wire first before changing it though. If it's a sub panel as you suggest, make sure you turn of the breaker that feeds this panel first. If it's the main panel, call an electrician.

I just installed a new hot tub. I have two 100 amp panels. The hot tub 50 amp breaker is in a panel for lights and outlets. The tub will run for about 20 minutes and then the main breaker overheats and shuts off. I have shut off all breakers except the hot tub breaker and the 100 amp breaker still gets hot. The 50 amp breaker and the 50 amp GFCI never trip or get hot. Could the 100 amp breaker be weak?

I am open to any suggestions. Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestions, after checking the load limit on the panel, everything was fine. However, it seems that the main wire going to the panel from the service was loose. The tub is running fine.

Thanks again.