Leaking Wet End

podagrower

My wife and I have a Cayman spa from Infinity Spas (not so infinite, they are out of business). The wet end seal started leaking on the 2 speed pump. I am no plumber, so rather than replace the seal, I thought it wiser to replace the whole wet end. The motor shaft was corroded from salt and chlorine, but I didn't think much of it at the time. After replacing the wet end, it leaks, a lot. A whole lot. More than before I replaced the wet end. So the question is

Does the wet end seal to the motor shaft?

Thanks for any help

My wife and I have a Cayman spa from Infinity Spas (not so infinite, they are out of business). The wet end seal started leaking on the 2 speed pump. I am no plumber, so rather than replace the seal, I thought it wiser to replace the whole wet end. The motor shaft was corroded from salt and chlorine, but I didn't think much of it at the time. After replacing the wet end, it leaks, a lot. A whole lot. More than before I replaced the wet end. So the question is

Thanks for any help

The corrosion on the motor shaft may be preventing you from fully threading the impeller onto the motor shaft. If so, you can try to grind the corrosion from the shaft. I keep a dremel tool in my service truck specifically for this. Another possibility is that you may have obtained one of the cheap, Chinese knockoff pumps. We've identified two brands of pumps that are copied by the Chinese, Waterway and Aquaflo. The knockoffs are exceptionally poor quality.

John

What a coincidence, it is a Waterway. The corrosion on the threads was not bad, I was able to thread the pump on until the 4 posts were tight to the motor.

Well, before we panic that it might be one of the Chinese junkers, first be sure that the pump impeller shaft actually threaded on to the same depth on the motor shaft as the original impeller. It is imperative that the impeller is fully threaded onto the motor shaft or it will leak badly. You can usually tell if you have threaded completely by whether the impeller shaft mates flush to the corrosion line on the motor shaft.

John

Are you sure that those chinese knockoffs are not the actual ones and just being bought and sold over here at higher prices? Lots of these parts are made in china, but they buy 10,000 and build the tubs. Just curious, not bashing.....

Very sure. Anyone that does this work routinely will have no problem picking up on it visually.

John

Did not mean to "orphan" the thread, but I had to work late last night. Disassembled tonight and tighten the snot out of the impeller. Currently filling without a river underneath. Wish me luck under pressure.

Did you replace the seal? Or did the new pump come with a new seal?

Did not mean to "orphan" the thread, but I had to work late last night. Disassembled tonight and tighten the snot out of the impeller. Currently filling without a river underneath. Wish me luck under pressure.

The new pump came with a new seal, I was not able to find just the seal, and was concerned about fitting a new seal to an old pump.

The new pump came with a new seal, I was not able to find just the seal, and was concerned about fitting a new seal to an old pump.

So the new pump came with both halfs of the seal? The half you slide on the shaft and the half that's in the pump?

Thanks for any help

Thanks for any help

Had a similar problem with Sundance pump. Local spa dealer wanted $600 for a new pump! Went another route. Removed corrosion on the shaft, replaced seal and found broken impeller. Found out through good spa people on net the impellers on the Sundance pumps seem prone to failure/actually break. Bought seal and impeller separately on net. Once replaced and corrosion removed spa functions well under pressure. Someone talked about cheap Chinese parts and pumps. Personally I think there is some merit to the statement.