Cost For Electrician For Gfci.

mikeyk36

Hi all,

What are the going rates for an electrician to hook up a GFCI to the tub from the service box? No digging, ran wire in unfinished basement about 50' from service to tub.

It's not clear if you ran the wire or you want the electrician to do it. In my case, I had the feed wire run as part of an electric service upgrade. I also purchased the spa panel at the same time. When I got the tub, he came back over to finish the job. He mounted the spa panel, hooked up the feed, ran the wiring to the spa pack, and hooked that up. He provided the liquid tight conduit and the wire. Total, $90.00, but this was cash and he is a neighbor.

I've recently had the electrics for a new spa installed. Got 5 quotes - anywhere from $550 to $1,900 (yes - one thousand nine hundred dollars!). Eventually went with a quote for $750. This included #4 THHN wire from the circuit board to the outside disconnect (approx 35 feet), and #6 THHN from the disconnect to the tub (approx 20 feet) inside sealtight, plus a 60A GFCI in the original circuiit board. Didn't 'have to' use #4 wire but was recommended to with a 60A circuit. None of the outside run is buried, but it can be in the future if I wish to, as I have excess outside cable.

I've recently had the electrics for a new spa installed. Got 5 quotes - anywhere from $550 to $1,900 (yes - one thousand nine hundred dollars!). Eventually went with a quote for $750. This included #4 THHN wire from the circuit board to the outside disconnect (approx 35 feet), and #6 THHN from the disconnect to the tub (approx 20 feet) inside sealtight, plus a 60A GFCI in the original circuiit board. Didn't 'have to' use #4 wire but was recommended to with a 60A circuit. None of the outside run is buried, but it can be in the future if I wish to, as I have excess outside cable.

I ended up paying $700 for about the same as you had done. The electrician was an old friend and I thought he was doing me a favor so didn't bother to get other quotes. I thought it was high with no digging involved. He was at my house about 4 hrs, longer than I expected but he wasn't rushing thats for sure. I should have been an electrician I guess. Thanks for the reply.

$700 sounds about right in my experience. Even if you do it yourself a 50A or 60A GFCI (in the main board) costs around $160, then you've got the cost of the wiring, PVC conduit and seal-tight, which can easily work out to +/- $200, then add the cost of the outside disconnect box.

Regardless of all this I really did NOT want to take any chances with the combination of a 240V 60A circuit and water by doing my own wiring. Risking the safety of my wife and kids to save two or three hundred dollars is clearly not even worth thinking about.

So you did the right thing by paying an electrician - even if he was a little on the high side.

We just paid $650 to have a 50 amp service GFCI put in about 6 weeks ago. We had bought a used hot tub from a spa repair shop and ended up using the electician they recommended. Boy am I glad we did! When the electician flipped the switch the first time on that used tub, black smoke started pouring out from under the tub. Since we had used their electrician, there wasn't much the spa shop guys could say to us about the problem. So they did end up taking that tub back from us. I can't help but wonder that if we had used an electrician of our own if we would have had an argument on our hands.