Help With Winterizing Hot Tub!

sand

We have just purchased a cabin with a hot tub. We would like to close it down for the winter. Is it possible to put non toxic anti freeze into a hot tub and run it through the pumps (like winterizing an RV? Or idoes it have to be drained and????? The cabin is 2 hours away from the nearest town so there is no one that will come to winterize it. Also it get to be about -30 degress centigrade so we really don't want it to freeze up. The other option is to leave it on, but there would be no one to monitor chemicals. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

I'm not a dealer so they may be of more expert help than I but let me tell you what we do with our inexpensive hot tub at our northern WI lake home. It also gets very cold in the winter (many times below 0 F) and is approx 5 hrs away from our principal residence in suburban Chicago. Since we do not use the cabin much (if at all during this time) we drain the tub completely and follow the owner's manual by removing a couple of valves to properly and completely let the water drain out of the unit. We have now done this for 2 winters without any damage to the unit whatsoever. When I asked folks on this forum with more experience than I if we were harming the unit in any way by total drains, the consensus was that in fact, we were extending the life by not having pumps, heaters, etc running for those 5-6 months. Plus it is my understanding that if your water is not constantly monitored, higher than normal acid levels can degrade the spa components, causing long term damage. That's the extent of my knowledge on this subject.

Here,s what you need to do

must have equipment High powered shop vac with blower attachment, pool and spa antifreeze 4litres or RV if you cant locate the 1st, Funnel, and most likely a tarp big enough to cover your spa.

turn off power to the tub

drain your tub whateverway drain, submersable pumpl, shop vac

use the shop vac on blow ,take out the filter and place the vac hose over top of the intake let it blow for about 2 mins water should be shooting out from every where

take the vac hose with the blower still on go to each seat and work your way down the jets water will keep pouring out

once that is done suck up all of the expelled water inside the tub

open equipment area and unscrew each union then suck out remaining water retighten unions

take approx 2 litres of antifreeze pour down filter intake

place vac hose over intake with blow option blow until antifreeze starts to come out of jets

take anitfreeze and funnel pour small amounts of antifreeze into jets where antifreeze did not come out

with remainder of product pour onto spa floor and bottom of seats(just incase wind pushes snow under cover)

take tarp place over spa with something weighted or buy a spa cover cap which would eliminate the tarp

go slow take your time if you dont think you did it right do it again an extra gallon of antifreeze wont hurt for piece of mind and could just save you hundreds if done improperly

if you feel your not up to task its better to pay a few hundred to have it done right than you missing something and it costing you big$$$$ plus you will sleep better at night than second guessing yourself

Thanks for the instructions on winterizing. We would feel a lot better knowing it was drained and not going to freeze up, so we will give a good try and hopefully not have any problems. We tried to get the local hot tub dealer to come in to winterize it but they didn't have any interest in doing so, so are pretty much on our own. The hot tub does have a good cover that locks down. We have winterized a above ground pool before, but there was not nearly as much involved. Anyway thanks again everything you said makes perfect sense. :)

Thanks for the instructions on winterizing. We would feel a lot better knowing it was drained and not going to freeze up, so we will give a good try and hopefully not have any problems. We tried to get the local hot tub dealer to come in to winterize it but they didn't have any interest in doing so, so are pretty much on our own. The hot tub does have a good cover that locks down. We have winterized a above ground pool before, but there was not nearly as much involved. Anyway thanks again everything you said makes perfect sense. :)

The only thing I can add is to remove the small drain plugs from your pump/s And I use rags to close up the gap around the shop vac hose when I stick it in the filter housing, depending on your filter housing you may or may not need to do this.

The only thing I can add is to remove the small drain plugs from your pump/s And I use rags to close up the gap around the shop vac hose when I stick it in the filter housing, depending on your filter housing you may or may not need to do this.

The only way I'm familiar with winterizing a spa is taking the cover off and getting in! :P

I've never been a fan of anti-freeze in a spa and I don't believe it's necessary IMO.

not that it is necessary but customers dont mind paying and having peace of mind with us using antifreeze

Hey Roger Im only 2 1/2 north of you in T bay you guys got snow yet? we dont

We have had 3 storms so far with the biggest dropping 4 inches or so but it has been in the 40's and sunny between so it's all gone.

I love going up the shore towords your area.