95-96 Hot Springs Sovereign Wont Heat Over 98 Degrees?

Jim Ball

Hello. I just purchased a home that came with a 95-96 Hot Springs Sovereign I. The previous owners drained it before leaving since they hadn't sold the home yet and it was going to be vacant. I filled up the tub and noticed a leak coming from a cracked Thermistor in the Cartridge Heater. Fortunately the previous owners left some chemicals and two new Thermistors. I drained the tub and replaced the them. I filled the tub back up, adjusted the chemicals per the instruction manual, and turned up the heat. Everything seems to be working fine; however, I have the heat knob turned to the highest setting (its not digital and does not have a thermostat on it - its just a turn dial from 1-9) but the temperature (according to the floating thermometer) will not exceed 98 degrees. The tub has been on for about 3 weeks and the daily temperatures are around 80-90 and nights are in the 60's. Does anyone have any ideas why its not heating above 98? Is there a switch or something inside I have to adjust? Thanks!

Here is what the heater looks like:

http://www.backyardplus.com/images/no-faul...r-1995-1996.jpg

Here is what the tub looks like:

https://www.oregonhottub.com/store/images/IMG_0724%5B1%5D

Turn up the thermostat slowly. You are listening for a relay click. If you hear no click at all or the click is almost to the top of the setting then John is correct it could be a bad thermister. I would be surprised though since you replaced it with hopefully a new one.

One thing to keep in mind is that the circulation pump can slowly creep up the temp by friction if the spa is not used for a long time. Over 3 weeks it could easily get to 98 degrees.

If you hear the relay click when turning up the thermostat then you can test voltage to the heater. If there is no voltage and you hear the click it could be a burnt wire in the control box or a bad relay.

Thanks for the replies.

I turn the heating knob down and back up and don't hear a click. My wife and I have been in the tub twice in the last few weeks and it has stayed consistent at 98 degrees. The evenings have been pretty cool. It got down in the 40 the other night when we were in it. It stayed at 98 the whole time (this is warm, but not a "hot tub"). With the temperature as cool as its has been, I think the heater must be working.

Any other suggestions? How do test the voltage of the heater?

It sounds like a bad thermister part number 38415 - they are pretty cheap and real easy to replace.

I would try that first since they are only about 20 bucks. If that's not it it will be time to go into the control box.

Thanks. The thermisters I just replaced (the one left by the previous owners) looked band new. There was no wear or tear on them, the wires were new and the threads were good too.

What suggestions do you have as far as getting into the control box?

It sounds like a bad thermister part number 38415 - they are pretty cheap and real easy to replace.

I would try that first since they are only about 20 bucks. If that's not it it will be time to go into the control box.

Do you think there is something I need to calibrate or reset after replacing the thermisters?