Spa Prices

sonomablue

Our spas range from $2995 to 10,600.

That price includes delivery, set-up, orientation, watercare kit, 220V sub-panel when applicable, peace of mind, and service after the sale for 5 years on parts and labor with NO deductible.

If you get a doctor's prescription, you do not have to pay tax on a spa in the Great State of Texas.

Terminator

That price includes delivery, set-up, orientation, watercare kit, 220V sub-panel when applicable, peace of mind, and service after the sale for 5 years on parts and labor with NO deductible.

If you get a doctor's prescription, you do not have to pay tax on a spa in the Great State of Texas.

Terminator

what spa would you have to offer the consumer at the 4k to 5k range?

Terminator

Plus you get Terms texas hospitallity, maybe a free Shiner Bock, and the sun shining off terms head :rolleyes:

Wesj53 - thanks for the clarification. Greatly appreciated. A few sent me PMs with more info or questions about the "20-30" miles. Let me post one public piece of information. I commute 75 miles each way to my job (150 roundtrip each day). So, i am capable of driving long distances when i have to. Primarily due to my long commute, i would rather not drive even ONE additional mile, unless i have to. I am tired of driving - every day.

I live in CA Bay Area, and I am not sure why the dealers do not overlap local areas. I have yet to find two local dealers (within 15-20 miles) that carry the same brand/manufacturer. Yet there must be 15 dealers or more within 15-20 miles of my home. And, as i stated, none of the retailers have the prices listed on the tub. So, yes, i am bugged to have to go get the attention of a sales person - just to get a quote. You all know better than me, that the "quote" given to me is most likely a rough quote anyway. Depends on features, sales, cash-only, year end, day of the week, time of the day, etc.

You are probably tired of me comparing it to cars, i extend my apologies. But if i go to a certain dealership, i can tell just by the Mfg Sugg Price, that certain cars are out of my range. Certain Lexus models, certain BMW models, certain Mercedes models, OK all Porsches, all Corvettes, etc. are above my range. When the Mfg List price is $72,000 - it doesn't matter what kind of sale might be going on, it is a waste for me to hear about the 400+ horsepower, the 0-60 time, and all the other features, i will not pay that much for a car.

In the same way, I have a "rough" range for a Spa. This is not my range, but for discussion sake, let's say that my range is $8,000.00 (again it is not my range). If there are spas that list for 12k-15k, and typically go out the door for $10k-12k, then what BENEFIT is it for ME to have the features of those models explained to me. I learn about filter systems, or audio systems, or jets, or pumps, etc. that do not apply in my price range. All you have accomplished is to create a frustrated consumer.

I will end this post with a question to you: Think about any purchase that you make. A car, going out to dinner, a hotel reservation, a house, a stereo, a steak in a grocery store, a shirt in a department store, a new TV, a computer, a ski boat, etc. etc. I am confident that you would feel "frustrated" if every one of those items did not have a price on it. And on every item, you have to go ask a sales person (regardless of how wonderful, how nice, how helful that sales person might be).

I am obviously NOT going to change the way that Spas are priced, and listed, at least not in my area. But, you can bet that dealer who finally makes a sale with me, will know my thoughts on prices. :-)

Best Regards to all...

First of all, if a sales person publishes prices on the showroom, it does not allow them to get to first base with people. It is a sales thing. It is in many sales seminars on selling "big ticket" items.

We have always publihed the prices online for our produts. I know that it has caused people who are just looking at price to disappear. If all you want is a price, then $2595 is the lowest price hot tub we sell and personally I believe it is far better than any "classic Poor Value overpriced spa". We don't have those on line because the manufacuterer prefers that we don't.

Otherwise all prices are on line, but if you don't have a clue about what you are purchasing, what is the reference point that you use to evaluate prices? That is why I wrote the book on hot tubs.

First of all, if a sales person publishes prices on the showroom, it does not allow them to get to first base with people. It is a sales thing. It is in many sales seminars on selling "big ticket" items.

We have always publihed the prices online for our produts. I know that it has caused people who are just looking at price to disappear. If all you want is a price, then $2595 is the lowest price hot tub we sell and personally I believe it is far better than any "classic Poor Value overpriced spa". We don't have those on line because the manufacuterer prefers that we don't.

Otherwise all prices are on line, but if you don't have a clue about what you are purchasing, what is the reference point that you use to evaluate prices? That is why I wrote the book on hot tubs.

Wading through the slop once again... :rolleyes:

First base is just kissing right? I strongly urge dealers NOT to do that. :lol:

You didn't write THE book on hot tubs Jimmy...you wrote a “pamphlet”! Let's not over sell here and posture more than you need to….you may break a hip while flexing!

I believe that prices should be on the spas and I recommend my dealers show their price everyday. I also don't recommend leaving room for negotiating either. Show your best price or show nothing.

Wading through the slop once again... :rolleyes:

First base is just kissing right? I strongly urge dealers NOT to do that. :lol:

You didn't write THE book on hot tubs Jimmy...you wrote a "pamphlet"! Let's not over sell here and posture more than you need to….you may break a hip while flexing!

I believe that prices should be on the spas and I recommend my dealers show their price everyday. I also don't recommend leaving room for negotiating either. Show your best price or show nothing. [/quote

I think that dealers would have alot more respect if the best, non negotiable price was posted. Car dealers such as Saturn, Nissan, Kia and even Lexus are starting to emerge with this strategy rather the underestimate the consumers ability to figure out value on a spa. The consumer can easily place a value and having a firm price along with knowledge of the product allow the consumer to make his choice with the dignity and respect not often allowed.

Paint:I think that dealers would have alot more respect if the best, non negotiable price was posted. Car dealers such as Saturn, Nissan, Kia and even Lexus are starting to emerge with this strategy rather the underestimate the consumers ability to figure out value on a spa. The consumer can easily place a value and having a firm price along with knowledge of the product allow the consumer to make his choice with the dignity and respect not often allowed.

Your last line is the kicker. If there is a concern for pricing spas on the floor, it's that 99.9% of consumers have never owned a spa and can't determine value easily.

It takes some work, asking the right questions and dealing with someone whom has your best interest at heart to gain that knowledge. Unfortunatley, there's always going to be people that associate the cheapest spa with the best or greater value and as most of us know, that's rarely true.

I understand what you're saying, I just have such a tough time with this "doom & gloom" you portray with salespeople and retailers in general. It's just not remotely accurate. As I've said countless times...this industry is far to competitive to allow that.

Nuff said...

Paint:I think that dealers would have alot more respect if the best, non negotiable price was posted. Car dealers such as Saturn, Nissan, Kia and even Lexus are starting to emerge with this strategy rather the underestimate the consumers ability to figure out value on a spa. The consumer can easily place a value and having a firm price along with knowledge of the product allow the consumer to make his choice with the dignity and respect not often allowed.

Your last line is the kicker. If there is a concern for pricing spas on the floor, it's that 99.9% of consumers have never owned a spa and can't determine value easily.

It takes some work, asking the right questions and dealing with someone whom has your best interest at heart to gain that knowledge. Unfortunatley, there's always going to be people that associate the cheapest spa with the best or greater value and as most of us know, that's rarely true.

I understand what you're saying, I just have such a tough time with this "doom & gloom" you portray with salespeople and retailers in general. It's just not remotely accurate. As I've said countless times...this industry is far to competitive to allow that.

Nuff said...

The price of a home is plain and listed. a lot of people are first time buyers not haveing owned a home, a plasma tv, cell phone, computer ect....give the consumer a break, they can figure it out rather the sit through a sales pitch just to get a price, reminds me of a time share membership that holds you hostage to the presentation when you just wanted a price. do you need the guy at sears to not show the price of a riding mower as a lot of people have no experiance in purchasing one...good greif!

The price of a home is plain and listed. a lot of people are first time buyers not haveing owned a home, a plasma tv, cell phone, computer ect....give the consumer a break, they can figure it out rather the sit through a sales pitch just to get a price, reminds me of a time share membership that holds you hostage to the presentation when you just wanted a price. do you need the guy at sears to not show the price of a riding mower as a lot of people have no experiance in purchasing one...good greif!

You've confused me Charlie Brown and let's stay focused on spas for now. So now you are saying that prices should be listed but let the consumer walk around aimlessly until they've "figured it out" and decided which one they want?

So let's say you work as a salesman in a spa store, or even own a spa business. What would your procedure be and teach everyone here what they REALLY should be doing paint as obviously we all have it wrong. Take us through YOUR selling process so we can gain this ultimate wisdom we have been missing in our miserable lives. I will be forever grateful as will many others in learning this from you. This, I'm sure, will make a real difference in my consulting business where I teach sales, marketing and how to develop a retail environment to maximize the potential for the sale. I'm always open to learn new and exciting ways to make this easier for the consumer in the selling process.

I can hardly wait to see what I've been missing...

So what your saying is the consumer is a complete idiot, can't figure out what value is...Funny you'd assume that as Best Buy, Costco, Home depot, Lowes, etc. don't insult your intelligence in the way of not disclosing prices on products they sell. Why not sell a spa on it's own merits! Please share what is so mysterious about a spa that the average shopper can't look at and evaluate and decide for themselves what value there is.

Here is my strategy:

1) Start by treating the customer with respect and not treating them like idiot's!

2) Let the customer ask the question's rather the slamming them with a sales pitch.

3) When the customer ask, directly answer the with facts, only share opinions when asked. If they ask for a price, give it but no more unless they ask.

4) Allow the customer the time and space to make their decision without you talking constantly.

5) Make yourself available If they have further questions.

6) Don't pressure the customer for a close

7) Don't insult them with a savings now and not honor the price the next day.

8) If they say there not sure, give them space.

9) Lastly, accept a no and be nice to them.

I do this for my company, never have I pressured anyone into a sale nor alienated someone that wanted service somewhere else.

So what your saying is the consumer is a complete idiot, can't figure out what value is

If you don't comprehend something I have written, I would prefer you enquire about it rather than incorrectly put words in my mouth that don't represent my position.

...Funny you'd assume that as Best Buy, Costco, Home depot, Lowes, etc. don't insult your intelligence in the way of not disclosing prices on products they sell. Why not sell a spa on it's own merits! Please share what is so mysterious about a spa that the average shopper can't look at and evaluate and decide for themselves what value there is.

Standing in front of spa for the consumer that has never owned one limits their knowledge. It's the old "book by it's cover" analogy. Here would be some of the key features not known by doing what you are suggesting;

- Construction

- Insulation comparisons

- Features and function

- Therapy

- Comfort

- included items and optional products

- warranty

- etc.

Your method of standing in front of a spa and attempting to determine value is misguided.

Here is my strategy:

1) Start by treating the customer with respect and not treating them like idiot's!

Agreed

2) Let the customer ask the question's rather the slamming them with a sales pitch.

If they have never owned a spa, how do they know what questions to ask? In a presentation, I ask MANY questions in an effort to understand their wants and desires and what is important to them. A good presentation will be filled with questions for the consumer to give them the insight required to make this buying decision with areas most have not considered.

3) When the customer ask, directly answer the with facts, only share opinions when asked. If they ask for a price, give it but no more unless they ask.

Again, not everyone is out to get you paint and the "wanna buy a watch" salesperson is a dying breed!

4) Allow the customer the time and space to make their decision without you talking constantly.

Agreed

5) Make yourself available If they have further questions.

Agreed

6) Don't pressure the customer for a close

Agreed but not asking for the sale is a mistake many make. There's nothing wrong with asking for the sale. They are there to buy and we are selling a product. Often, they will inform us of the desire to purchase prior to even asking

7) Don't insult them with a savings now and not honor the price the next day.

Who does that specifically? Not someone who wants to stay in business!

8) If they say there not sure, give them space.

Give them space and determine what their concerns are so you can directly address them.

9) Lastly, accept a no and be nice to them.

Be nice to them? Are we in grade 3? Yep...a no is a no. Agreed.

I do this for my company, never have I pressured anyone into a sale nor alienated someone that wanted service somewhere else.

Again, this all comes back to the desire for longevity in business. Sales is sales regardless of the product and understanding that good news travels fast. Business strive for a high percentage of referral business. If they don't...they are in trouble! You don't gain this by treating people poorly and your "issue" that you so poorly try to portray is that everyone is out to screw you. It's something I believe meds will help with.

Well I think Stevie has a winning strategy there; and interesting that, after all these weeks of such vehment arugment Mr Paintsunni actually has outlined a strategy that so closely aligns what a professional hot tub retailler considers to be the best course of action.

I think that. if Costco did not exist and if he should occasion upon the need to do so then Mr Paintsunni might find himself rapping on the door of Stevie's showroom and winding up buying a spa!

Well done to both of you for getting to the bottom of it!

Cheers,

Julian

On which happy note, let us close this chapter and move on....