Inground Pool On Sloping Ground..

mart242

My backyard has a ~20" - 24" down slope in the area where I want to put a pool (I can only put it there and want to maximize pool size) and the slope is pretty even. Due to this, I was strongly considering getting an oval on-ground pool which would be buried 3' at one end (so stick out by 1') and be exposed ~3' on the other size. I figured that it would maximize pool area even though it wouldn't look super nice.. and since I want to put the pool as close as possible to the fence (ie: 4' away, which is the city's by-law) there was no way I could put a 3' concrete deck in there.

That was until today.. when I had an in-ground pool sales rep (and the installer / owner) tell me that he can put in an in-ground pool no problem because he would do this: have the pool at the usual "usual" height on one side and have the other side of the pool sitking out by ~24" (ie: the slope of my pool area). What he proposed was to leave the low side exposed partially (ie: by ~2') which would be right on the 4' line from my fence (ie: the law) and have the support brackets stick out in that area and put "deck supports" so I could build a wood deck on this side.

I inquired about frost (I'm from canada) but he said to not worry about that, even if the support brackets aren't fully buried it wouldn't matter.

Is that a recipe for disaster? :o I'm not 100% confident in it so far..

ya I think it is a potential problem. I don't know where you are, but where I live in Canada there is alot of clay and it moves with the frost. Every spring I have a bunch of above ground pools that need repair because of the frost, I can't imagine how it would affect your pool. Besides that, the exposed wall would not have the support from the earth around it that ( I think) it needs to be supported properly. If that wall bows even a fracton of an inch you will have problems with the liner. I suggest that you ask the installer to sign a contract where he takes complete financial responsability if any problems develop from the installation. I suspect that will put an end to that sales pitch.

I suggest that you ask the installer to sign a contract where he takes complete financial responsability if any problems develop from the installation. I suspect that will put an end to that sales pitch.

He said everything would be warrantied 2 years because, as they all say "problems only appear during the 1st year". He also said that "by doing this, it's the same thing as an on-ground pool". The on-ground pool panels don't seem perfect either.. for oval, you apparently have to keep it buried AT LEAST 2'.. (out of the 4' panels)

<_<

I have had a pool for 8 years and the problems caused by ice have been over many years. For example, the skimmer boxes have raised and cracked the joints around the coping. I fixed this a couple years ago by re-caulking the perimiter of the pool. My point is, i'm not sure all problems would be evident after the first year. However, I live in Maryland, not Canada.

Would it be possible to have them excavate the area during construction so it is flat then put in a retaining wall?

Would it be possible to have them excavate the area during construction so it is flat then put in a retaining wall?

That increases the cost by a lot. It appears that they can put a retaining wall under the deck of the pool and they did that quite a few times. I'm not having issues with the city trying to put the concrete deck of the pool (w/ retaining wall) within 4' from my property line.. meeting with the grading approval division tomorrow.

See if you can find a good concrete contractor who would install a shaped form and pour a concrete wall behind the portion of the pool wall that will be partly exposed/above grade in the sloped area. Of course, concrete is heavy and would exert inward pressure on that part of the pool wall until it cured, so it might well be something they'd have to do after the pool was filled w/ water (and they'd have to brace the pool wall from the outside to counteract the outward pressure exerted by the water once the pool was filled - until the concrete was in place to provide that counteracting force). Then remove the forms, backfill and move on. Kind of involved (more involved than I describe) but not rocket science. A 6" concrete wall behind the pool wall would probably eliminate most of your structural concerns re: an exposed/above grade pool wall. You could then install a wood deck around that portion of the pool, or hide the concrete w/ a landscaping screen.

Just an idea...

All right.. figured out how it will be done. It looks like the city will approve my plan to put the concrete deck 12" from the fence (usually it's 4' otherwise you need a grading plan and even then, they usually simply refuse) so the pool builders will be putting concrete blocks to act as a retaining wall under the concrete deck and then put parging (or whatever it's call, the little coat to hide the cracks and make it look nice). They apparently did that quite a few time.

So no more worrying about structural issue and I get concrete all around.

All right.. figured out how it will be done.

Good deal! Will they be excavating the area at the end of the deck where the concrete blocks will be placed? If so, it will definitely settle unless they compact the entire area from the pool wall to the blocks/support. Even if it's not excavated, make sure they install a good foundation. I'd prefer a 4-6" (deeper is better) bed of heavily compacted 3/4" clean limestone. Not to complicate things, but I'd probably prefer that limestone bed plus a 3-4" concrete footing atop that. Concrete cracks and earth settles - if the deck eventually drops you're looking at total removal and replacement of the deck - which could involve plumbing, electrical bonding, etc. You're building a pool that you want to enjoy, worry-free, for as long as you live in this home, and whenever you decide to sell - you definitely want to get it right the first time, so ask lots of questions. Don't let them take any shortcuts - and, truthfully, most contractors don't really care.

Don't let them take any shortcuts - and, truthfully, most contractors don't really care.

They seem quite good and have an excellent reputation based on what I've seen. It's the father with the 4 sons who own / work for the company. They've been doing that for a long time so *it should* be fine. I'll still watch what they do closely and ask a lot of questions. B)

Too bad I'm getting the pool so late in the year and will have to close it a week or two after it's installed. :o Oh well, I'll be ready for spring!

We had precisely the same experience when we had our pool installed in August 2007. I cranked the heater for a few evenings and weekends in September, and when I decided it was no longer worth it I still kept the pool running through Halloween - still provided ambience for weekend gatherings.

We had precisely the same experience when we had our pool installed in August 2007. I cranked the heater for a few evenings and weekends in September, and when I decided it was no longer worth it I still kept the pool running through Halloween - still provided ambience for weekend gatherings.

I'm in Ottawa, Canada. Chances are the pool will be a skating ring early november :o

(well.. maybe not that much but it gets cold quickly here)