Gravel Or Concrete Pad

Tubhunter

I have a nice gravel pad with good drainage, can I place my tub on the gravel or should I pour a pad? This is my first Hot Tub.

Tubhunter

Pour a pad....if you already have gravel you are two thirds of the way there...no one likes gravel in the bottom of their tub.

Plus concrete is almost free right now!

I have a nice gravel pad with good drainage, can I place my tub on the gravel or should I pour a pad? This is my first Hot Tub.

Tubhunter

Pour a pad....if you already have gravel you are two thirds of the way there...no one likes gravel in the bottom of their tub.

I agree with pouring a pad since you are halfway there. And concrete being almost free lol We just paid $250.00 for our concrete to do our pad so I hardly call that free :P

Tubhunter

I agree with pouring a pad since you are halfway there. And concrete being almost free lol We just paid $250.00 for our concrete to do our pad so I hardly call that free :P

I paid 350 for the concrete but don't regret taking your advise. The concrete pad is a small investment compared to the cost of the spa.

• 2 weeks later...

Tubhunter

I paid 350 for the concrete but don't regret taking your advise. The concrete pad is a small investment compared to the cost of the spa.

How big is your pad? Ours is 8 1/2 by 8 1/2. We just poured it last night. The crush and run was definetly more work then doing the concrete pad, that's for sure. We ended up using 37 bags. We have 5 leftover so that was a good estimate.

Tubhunter

How big is your pad? Ours is 8 1/2 by 8 1/2. We just poured it last night. The crush and run was definetly more work then doing the concrete pad, that's for sure. We ended up using 37 bags. We have 5 leftover so that was a good estimate.

I poured an eight by eight pad that was six inches thick. I had some left over so I poured a pad under my meat pole where I hang my deer. I had a truck come in to make the pour which made it fairly easy. It did cost alittle bit more because it was on a Saturday and I ordered only two yards. The five tons of 2b gravel under the pad caused most of the sweat. The tub is being delivered Friday and it will be a great addition to our hunting cabin.

Tubhunter

I poured an eight by eight pad that was six inches thick. I had some left over so I poured a pad under my meat pole where I hang my deer. I had a truck come in to make the pour which made it fairly easy. It did cost alittle bit more because it was on a Saturday and I ordered only two yards. The five tons of 2b gravel under the pad caused most of the sweat. The tub is being delivered Friday and it will be a great addition to our hunting cabin.

Nice and that does sound cheap for a truck to come, makes me wonder if we should of at least checked into it. We did ours ourself. Borrowed a friends cement mixer, took about 3 hours I guess to do. And yeah the crushed stone was definetly the worst. Had to dig down like 6 1/2 inches and then put a layer, tamped it and then another layer and then tamped it again. I'm just glad we will be done this weekend. Putting a paver patio around the slab and then we are done, well except we still have to do the electrical work. My bf is running all the conduit (sp?) himself to and all the electrician will have to do is hook it up. Ours is supposed to be here in like a week and a half. Enjoy your tub :)

Tubhunter

Nice and that does sound cheap for a truck to come, makes me wonder if we should of at least checked into it. We did ours ourself. Borrowed a friends cement mixer, took about 3 hours I guess to do. And yeah the crushed stone was definetly the worst. Had to dig down like 6 1/2 inches and then put a layer, tamped it and then another layer and then tamped it again. I'm just glad we will be done this weekend. Putting a paver patio around the slab and then we are done, well except we still have to do the electrical work. My bf is running all the conduit (sp?) himself to and all the electrician will have to do is hook it up. Ours is supposed to be here in like a week and a half. Enjoy your tub :)

Good for you guys doing it the right way. It is very nice not having to worry one bit about the underlayment of your tub or anything else for that matter.

As to having concrete delivered....it is a bit more than mixing it by hand...but for the extra $50 you get a very consistent quality product that is delivered in a super handy manner. I hate lifting 80# bags!