Wildlife Crapped In Pool...now What?

TXGlenn

Something left a big pile of crap (literally) on my tanning ledge this morning. I'm not sure if it was a raccoon or what, but was wondering if there is anything special I need to do in this case to disinfect the pool? I scooped what I could out with a bucket, which was about as effective as it sounds like it would be, and poured in what liquid bleach I had on hand (3 gallons).

Should I shock this or anything?

I would shock if I were you. Go to The Pool Calculator, enter your pool capacity/gallonage and see what amount of bleach (in varying strengths) or other forms of chlorine you'll need to add to achieve shock level. If you use stabilizer/CYA/cyanuric acid, aim for a shock level equivalent to 40% of your CYA level (i.e. if your CYA level is 60ppm, aim for a shock level of 24ppm FC). Of course, depending upon your pool size and FC level when you discovered the poo, adding 3 jugs of bleach may well have raised FC high enough to kill any waterborne bacteria or zoonotic disease, even if you didn't reach "shock" level - assuming, of course, the FC held/remained sufficiently for an extended period of time, e.g. high overnight.

I tend to shock or come close to it when I find dead critters in the skimmer - haven't had your exact problem yet, but I'd definitely add some chlorine to be safe. If you have a vinyl-lined pool and you're not using stabilizer, I'd reduce chlorine use for a couple of days to allow the FC to drop sooner than later to avoid damage to the liner. Granted, the damage (bleaching of the liner) would be minimal but it's cumulative damage that can prematurely age your liner. If you're using CYA it tends to mitigate adverse effects on the vinyl (or so I read some time ago - Richard)?

Something left a big pile of crap (literally) on my tanning ledge this morning. I'm not sure if it was a raccoon or what, but was wondering if there is anything special I need to do in this case to disinfect the pool? I scooped what I could out with a bucket, which was about as effective as it sounds like it would be, and poured in what liquid bleach I had on hand (3 gallons).

Should I shock this or anything?

Depending on the quality and the amount of the poop, you need to bring your chlorine up to 25ppm. I just posted a new decontamination memo at the Y where I'm the pool operator. Everything you ever wanted to know about poop and vomit, but were afraid to ask.

Scoop out as much as you can, disinfect everything and keep the net in the pool after you shock to disinfect that as well.

Do this at night to give your pool the best chance.

http://www.clean-pool-and-spa.com/swimming...l-chlorine.html