Cleaning Aquapure Cell

sc5.4

When acid cleaning cell, is it possible to just use regular 2" pvc caps on each end of my 1400 cell without buying any special type cleaning caps?

What I did was get another union half, The half that glues onto the plumbing, and glue a flat 2" cap into it (so it will stand on end by itself). That way I take the cell out, screw on the union, and fill with acid solution.

When acid cleaning cell, is it possible to just use regular 2" pvc caps on each end of my 1400 cell without buying any special type cleaning caps?

Since jandy loves changing what threads they want to use on there unions just use a bucket with a mixture of water and acid per manufactures cleaning procedure. A number 11 or 12 rubber plug would work too.

Just remember when introduced into the acid if no bubbling or foaming occurs take it out the cell is clean

Excellent ideas. THANKS!

Didn't find a cap to match up at the local HD store. I needed to clean it so I did the bucket soak. Turned out cell wasn't that dirty - I think sensor causing cell not to stay on long enough.

A number 11 or 12 rubber plug would work too.

Just remember when introduced into the acid if no bubbling or foaming occurs take it out the cell is clean

+1 on the expandable plugs. It's a more efficient way to clean the cell, and since you use less acid solution,(maybe a quart of 4:1) you can pour it in the pool when finished.

A number 11 or 12 rubber plug would work too.

+1 on the expandable plugs. It's a more efficient way to clean the cell, and since you use less acid solution,(maybe a quart of 4:1) you can pour it in the pool when finished.

Yeah...I'm going to try to find some that will work .Also I'm thinking of pouring bucket of mix in the pool that I just used. Wasn't much calcium settled at all at bottom of the bucket.

Yeah...I'm going to try to find some that will work .Also I'm thinking of pouring bucket of mix in the pool that I just used. Wasn't much calcium settled at all at bottom of the bucket.

Thats why I don't like to use the bucket method, too much solution to deal with afterwards. A cup of acid in a pool probably wont move the Ph, But a gallon or so of solution, that could be up to a quart of acid. That may change the Ph.

I have to find some type of plugs for sure. It would make it so much easier. Making a stand with a tube and end cap is a cool idea. It would be a more stable way to keep the cell from tipping over.

You're only supposed to put it in acid for 30 min. So having to be there, holding it from tipping over ensures you won't walk away and forget about it.

• 3 weeks later...

Plugging ONE!! end of the cell reduces the amount of acid needed to clean the cell. Any plug will do if it doesn't leak, just place the cell in a bucket for leak containment.

If you plug BOTH ends of the cell after adding acid, you have just made a pipe bomb! If you survive they may send you to terrorist prison...

Plugging ONE!! end of the cell reduces the amount of acid needed to clean the cell. Any plug will do if it doesn't leak, just place the cell in a bucket for leak containment.

If you plug BOTH ends of the cell after adding acid, you have just made a pipe bomb! If you survive they may send you to terrorist prison...

Who is plugging both ends???

Give us a little more credit than that Bill...

I was responding to the question posed in the original post. I see three items, highlighted above, indicating the original questioner was considering capping BOTH ends. "caps" plural, "each end" both ends. I will readily admit to being a literalist. I have also noticed that a lot of people asking questions in this and other forums are quite inexperienced with pool matters so thought it worth noting that capping both ends of a cell when cleaning would pose a safety hazard...

oops! I guess it does look like that. I was thinking of more of a stand that can hold the cell without having to submerge it. THANKS for replies! On a side note, my cell has been working great lately. :D

I knew what you meant...

Good to hear your unit is working.