Jandy General Fault

STAGGER

The unit is reporting that your Chlorine generator has a problem and needs your attention. You will need to go out to the pool equipment and wait for the Aqua Pure to display a 3 digit code, This code will direct you to the problem. Be patient tho, It can take a while for the unit to display this code. You may get a beep while the unit is displaying a code. If you can't get a code, push the salinity button and then the temp button and note the readings. Pushing these buttons may also prompt a code.

The unit is reporting that your Chlorine generator has a problem and needs your attention. You will need to go out to the pool equipment and wait for the Aqua Pure to display a 3 digit code, This code will direct you to the problem. Be patient tho, It can take a while for the unit to display this code. You may get a beep while the unit is displaying a code. If you can't get a code, push the salinity button and then the temp button and note the readings. Pushing these buttons may also prompt a code.

Thanks for the quick response Pool Clown! I did what you said and received a 172 and a 186. I checked the chlorine with test strips and it was virtually non-existent(bad sign?). I also removed the flow sensor and cleaned it with a scrub pad(it wasn't dirty though) I also cleaned the cell with muriatic acid but it was pretty clean as well. After all that I still have the codes and general fault/check aquapure. The pool was completed in May of 2007 so the aquapure should still be under warranty. Should I start with the pool company that installed the pool or go direct to Jandy/Zodiac?

I've added some chlorine tabs in the mean time. I'm in Houston where the temps have been in the 100's for about 3-4weeks with NO rain. The pool is always around 95-96 degrees, could that have any affect on the system?

The sensor needs to be replaced. Call the pool builder first, give him a chance to warranty the part. Putting in your own Cl in the interim is ok to do.

Thanks Pool Clown! I will call them today!

The people at Zodiac confirmed what you told me. Clean the sensor(which I did) and if that does not work then replace the sesor. I've found them online for around 200 bucks. Is this reasonable? When I do replace it will I need to "re-boot" the system? If so do you know how to do this? Sorry for all the questions....thanks.

I've found them online for around 200 bucks. Is this reasonable?

Heck yea, I think we charge 330.00 plus lab.

When I do replace it will I need to "re-boot" the system?

No, it re-boots every time you turn the pump on.

I actually found it for $144 plus tax and freight! Still trying to get Anthony & Sylvan to call me back but I'm not going to hold my breath...

Thanks so much for all the great advice!

144.00 wow, Make sure you are getting the right one. Jandy made some changes when they acquired Chloromatic. They changed the end of the sensor cord from a network type plug to a more flat type. The low price you found makes me wonder if you're getting the right one.

144.00 wow, Make sure you are getting the right one. Jandy made some changes when they acquired Chloromatic. They changed the end of the sensor cord from a network type plug to a more flat type. The low price you found makes me wonder if you're getting the right one.

I just got an email from Anthony&Sylvan and guess what? It's still covered under the warranty. I still have to pay for labor for Texsun Pools to install it.($89). I tried to make them give me the part so I could install it myself but they said that for warranty purposes they would have to. Thanks again for all your exellent advice!

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I have recently had the same service codes as you have 172 and 186. My pool guy has cleaned the unit and it works briefly and then stops again. I see that your problem was just the sensor that was bad, I thought it might be the cell that needed to be replaced. Mine is about 3 years old, Jandy as well with the square cell.

Any help on what your ultimate fix was or anyone elses suggestions would be great, hate to spend $700 every 3 years on a new cell. Been on hold with Jandy tech support as I write this for 1 hour 29 minutes and 31 secs and still counting, hoping they can point me in the right direction, glad I found this forum.

Thanks

Hello,

I have recently had the same service codes as you have 172 and 186. My pool guy has cleaned the unit and it works briefly and then stops again. I see that your problem was just the sensor that was bad, I thought it might be the cell that needed to be replaced. Mine is about 3 years old, Jandy as well with the square cell.

Any help on what your ultimate fix was or anyone elses suggestions would be great, hate to spend $700 every 3 years on a new cell. Been on hold with Jandy tech support as I write this for 1 hour 29 minutes and 31 secs and still counting, hoping they can point me in the right direction, glad I found this forum.

Thanks

Verify that the salinity that it is displaying is incorrect, test salinity with an outside source, (no test strips) and/or that the temp is incorrect as well. Then replace the sensor. 172 and 186 are sensor fail/service codes

• 6 months later...

I have the same error reading on my pool. I first noticed the "aqua pure general fault" message after the long, cold winter we had here. I guess this is a coincidence? My pool is only 1.5 years old.

My builder told me to clean the cells, but they look clean. If this doesn't work, he will call it in to Jandy.

I read the helpful posts by Pool Clown and I'm guessing that a part will need to be replaced.

eye,

what is the temp of the pool water. If it's less than 50 deg., don't do anything till it warms up. You can also run the pool in spa mode and warm the water up, and see if you're still getting the code. If it's still under warranty, let the PB take care of it.

Hmmm... this happened to me as well. The part was warrantied, but I have a feeling this is a commonly replaced part as my pool builder came out and replaced it without argument. He had several in his truck. NOT a good sign....especially after warranty. If nuclear reactors were built like SWCG then we'd have 3 mile Islands all over the place.... :P

I'd call Jandy/Zodiac again. If Anthony & Sylvan built the pool, I'm surprised that the labor isn't covered by the warranty as well. Jandy, Hayward and Pentair generally have a 3 year parts & labor coverage when you use the whole package. Check your original contract and warranty information that was given to you when the pool was built. Make sure you get what you paid for.

• 9 years later...