Aquapure 1400 Errors - Is It Really Making Chlorine?

ChrisR

Hi all,

I have a (18000 gallon?) inground pool with an Aqua pure 1400 on it. A couple weeks ago it stopped producing chlorine and the pool company replaced the sensor. Then, for about a week, it was saying "Cell reversing" so I called the pool co again and they came out when we were not there (Grrr) and said it was fine and for the first time after looking at it literally 20x, it did not say cell reversing. During this time it indicated it was making chlorine - all lights showed normal. I did think it strange that it showed that for a week straight.

But, I don't really have much chlorine in the pool at all. Comparing to my historical data, I had the production set lower last year 75% vs 85% this year production, and I have the pump on for an additional hour. I had pretty good levels of chlorine last year - on average 2....

So, if my cya is at 55 and salinity at 3000 (Leslies tested it and said that is where it should be), any ideas why I am getting less chlorine? The pool is a bit warmer 86deg and we have it covered more this year. The generator is about 2.5 years old and had a new system board installed last year as it was in a batch of bad boards.

One more thing, we went in the hot tub and the temp was about 99 and after a bit, the aquapure threw a 174 error with the new sensor installed. So, I am trying to figure out if I am getting chlorine or if I am getting reduced chlorine, or if something else is going on.

Thanks for any help.

Chris

The Aqua-pure Runs in 3 hour cycles. In other words, its on for 3 hours making Cl, then its off for three hours (cell reversing). One other thing, If it's running when the pump shuts off, when it comes back on it will be reversing and vis versa.

So lets say for arguments sake you run the pump 5 1/2 hours. It comes on in cell reversing for the first 3 hours, then it makes Cl for the rest of the day 2 1/2 hours. It was on when pump shut off for the day, so when it comes on the next day, it will again be reversing (off) for 3 hours.

Question: Did you always look at the unit within the same three hour time period each day?

Hmm, maybe I did check it in the first 3 hours of operation. I will check it later in the day and see what it shows. Thanks for the answer, the pool company was never able to give me that explanation.

Chris

The Aqua-pure Runs in 3 hour cycles. In other words, its on for 3 hours making Cl, then its off for three hours (cell reversing). One other thing, If it's running when the pump shuts off, when it comes back on it will be reversing and vis versa.

So lets say for arguments sake you run the pump 5 1/2 hours. It comes on in cell reversing for the first 3 hours, then it makes Cl for the rest of the day 2 1/2 hours. It was on when pump shut off for the day, so when it comes on the next day, it will again be reversing (off) for 3 hours.

Question: Did you always look at the unit within the same three hour time period each day?

So... if you turn the system on for 2 min. or more then turn it off, then back on again. Does that make the system cycle all over again each time? This would be the case when back flushing the filter or vacuuming pool.

So... if you turn the system on for 2 min. or more then turn it off, then back on again. Does that make the system cycle all over again each time? This would be the case when back flushing the filter or vacuuming pool.

If the unit was on (making chlorine) and you turned it off for 5 seconds then back on, it will be in reversing mode when it comes back on, and vis-versa.

If the unit was on (making chlorine) and you turned it off for 5 seconds then back on, it will be in reversing mode when it comes back on, and vis-versa.

The boost mode just temporarially sets the unit to 100% for 24 hours. It still cycles, 3 hours on, 3 hours off (reversing).

Note: boost mode should not be used as a shock, It don't work that way.

I have the same exact situation. Pool equipment is only 6 months old. Cell was producing CL just fine until I messed up and dumped some salt into the skimmer (note.. rookie .. err).. I learned after I should read.

However, I has not been producing chlorine since. I dont know if it is the heat or the pool salt. Granted the salt I dumped was no more than a quart but i did.

However, I took the cell out and manually cleaned it. It appears to be fine inside... nothing obstructing, everything seemed okay.

Put it back on and still.. Flow and Cell Reversing... and not enough CL to be generated.

Pump and skimmers run 6 hours a day now so i feel that should be sufficient for it to generate CL (with a boost) but still no cL.

I have since supplimented the pool with a floater for now since the kids needs their pool...

No error codes, cell reversing, cell flow... everything appears okay but still no chorine.

Thanks,

I hope you had the production set to zero before you put the salt in. Manuf. wants you to set to zero for 24 hours after you put the salt in.

Why did you put salt in?

Did the unit display low salt?

How long are you running the pump?

1. I did not have prod set to zero before salt was put in.

2. Put salt in because saline was lower than 3.0. was saying 2.8

3. I am now running put 6 hours a day.

I know.. I need to learn to read.... especially since it was right in front of my FACE.

Regards,

see rant below.

thats only three hours of Cl production @ 100% per day

If your system is chugging along just fine (correct salt level) then suddenly the Cl gen tells you that you are low on salt, STOP! Salt does leave the pool, splashing, rain, etc. but rarely so much that you will lose enough salt to trip the low salt light.

What i'm getting at here is when your low salt light comes on to first take a water sample to the pool store and have it checked for salinity. Chances are better that you have a sensor going out than a low salt condition.

It is alot easier to bring a water sample to your pool store than it is to drain and refill your pool to dilute salinity, yes?

see rant below.

thats only three hours of Cl production @ 100% per day

If your system is chugging along just fine (correct salt level) then suddenly the Cl gen tells you that you are low on salt, STOP! Salt does leave the pool, splashing, rain, etc. but rarely so much that you will lose enough salt to trip the low salt light.

What i'm getting at here is when your low salt light comes on to first take a water sample to the pool store and have it checked for salinity. Chances are better that you have a sensor going out than a low salt condition.

It is alot easier to bring a water sample to your pool store than it is to drain and refill your pool to dilute salinity, yes?

Absolutely and brought the water to the local store 3x a week. Each time they stated everything was good (including salt) but was just low on CL. They told me to clean the cell, which I did, and now just watching the CL get lower.

Local pool store had me use a floater for a while so I just took it out 2 days ago and now seeing if Cell is producing CL at all. I set it at boost again.

Thats what happens when the pool store says "level is ok" Have him tell you what the number is. Then you can compare your numbers and can see the salt dropping over time, 3 times a week.

Is the salt level ok now? I mean, whats the salt level now?