Newbie Comparing L.a./coast/jacuzzi/hotspring Spas

We are shopping for a new spa for our new deck, and it is quite confusing! The L.A. and Coast Spas have models for about $6,500 that compare favorably with Jacuzzi and HotSpring for considerably more. We want a lounge chair and seating for 5 or 6. The ease of filters is appealing about L.A. Spas - until I read the horror stories on this message board. The Jacuzzi guy says there are no chemicals in theirs. What to do? I looked for a website like Cosumer Reports to read about and compare, but I can't find any. Any suggestions? Thanks...

The Jacuzzi guy says there are no chemicals in theirs. What to do?

Just ignore salesmanship statements like that. All spas basically need the same water care management.

You want to get the best spa for the long haul. Wet test results, quality, energy efficiency, dealer service, warranty follow through, etc. all need to mean a lot.

The ease of filters is appealing about L.A. Spas - until I read the horror stories on this message board.

My two sets lasted for two years before I started to replace them. I have only used chlorine, but a person on this forum who was using bromine had problems with the filters falling apart. Have you wet tested any spas yet?

When trying spas out play around with the controls, because we found, when we were wet testing, that some makes of spa rob seats of power completely for another seat to be used.

Try out as many different and makes and models as you can, not everyone likes loungers we still use ours.

We have a heet which seats five, however a sixth person could sit on the cool down step. We have three main pumps and one circulating pump. The hydropherapy is excellent in all seats.

Every spa manufactuter have their sales pitch, some more aggressive than others, remember its your money dont be bullied into buying something by some dealers scare stories etc.

We are very happy with our local dealer and the warranty which we got.

There is no such thing as a completely "chemical free" hot tub. Water is organic, and naturally stuff grows in it (especially at warm temperatures). If you're being told their spa is completely chemical free, you're being misled. Unfortunately, this happens to often lately.

Talk to each of your dealers, and ask them why their spa is better than the other guy. Listen to the points they make, and decide for yourself what sounds like garbage, and what makes sense. There can be vast differences between some brands, so it's important to educate yourself as much as possible about the brands you are most interested in. Sometimes, it really is worth paying more money to get a better product.